heart break food.

Options
emmadrama
emmadrama Posts: 53 Member
hello lovly mfps,

today i had my heartbroken by the man i love.
The first thing i did was turn to food.
I know I won't be strong enough to deal with heartbreak and not comfort eating but i was wondering if anyone had any good pick me up low calorie recipes I can try. I've lost him but i refuse to go back to how i was before this journey just because of sadness.

Thank you.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is exercise. It will make you feel so much better. Food is a temporary feel-good crutch. Exercise heals the body, mind and soul.

(hug)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    veggies and hummus dip are really low cal. plus you can eat lots and lots of veggies for a small amount of cal. they take time to eat, lots of chewing, so you eat less as compared to say ice cream where you can just slurp it down in no time.

sorry to hear about the sadness, I do hope you start healing soon :heart:

peanut butter is usually a good choice for me, since it takes me a while to eat. it is not too low cal, though, almost 200 for 2 tbs. it is just so sticky it takes me a few minutes to eat it and i can enjoy and take my time with it. would you perhaps enjoy cooking a meal? taking the time out to really prepare something nice for yourself and your health, to add each ingredient and know what is in it.. :) maybe worth a shot!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Exercise heals the body, mind and soul.

So true. Exercise promotes new brain cell growth, and these new cells? They are more resistant to stress than the ones made from non-exercise boosts. And we all want to be resistant to stress, right? :D
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is exercise. It will make you feel so much better. Food is a temporary feel-good crutch. Exercise heals the body, mind and soul.

(hug)

Although I must say one good thing is popcorn... without salt and butter is quite low cals and still delish!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    exercise! It helps!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    exercise! It helps!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    very sorry:frown: There's no pain like heartache
  • mollb
    mollb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

You should try this healthy but indulgent tasting cookie dough dip: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/ I made it last night and it's very tasty. Or try anything on her blog... She's figured out the art of healthy comfort food.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    :(

Hot tea.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You are gorgeous! Also, so very, very young. I am sorry he was so stupid as to let you go, but maybe something really wonderful will come out of it. I can say, I am very happy I had my heart broken, I never would have met the wonderful father of my two precious boys. Good luck. I agree with the exercise comment. Also, if you love chocolate, try 60% dark cocoa. It is just sweet enough to help, but bitter enough that you don't eat a ton.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your heartbreak. It is so hard to not turn to food when you are heartbroken. Don't be too hard on yourself for turning to food first. There are lots of low fat ice creams out there and I love to make homemade breads using applesauce. They have the taste of something decadent, but they are not bad for you at all. Just google health bananna, pumpkin or carrot bread recipes. You can also make cakes or cupcakes with applesauce instead of oil.

But....I also recommend taking up some form of exercise. Walking, running, swimming, biking, classes, whatever you like can be so good for your body and mind. I love to go for long walks or runs when I am feeling sad or stressed out. That time alone allows me to clear my head and focus on good things in my life. I always feel better after a good walk or run. If you have a friedn who will go with you, it is a great time to vent to them :). Again, I'm sorry for your loss, but thebest thing you can do for yourself is to live well and look great!!

Edited to add that I am also so grateful for my worst heartbreak. Over a year after having my heaert crushed I met my husband and after being with him for fourteen years, I can't believe I ever thought any other man was worth my tears. You too will find your prince and when you do, it will be amazing!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

You should try this healthy but indulgent tasting cookie dough dip: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/ I made it last night and it's very tasty. Or try anything on her blog... She's figured out the art of healthy comfort food.

I am an addict to cookie dough so THANK YOU sooo much for sharing this! :)
  • mousumi30
    Options
    hope you feel better soon, exercising is a good advice , i think, it makes you sweat and that helps controlling emotion
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree with the exercise! When my ex-boyfriend and I broke up, every time I wanted to eat everything in sight, I would get on the treadmill with my iPod and sing and run. Half the time I would end up crying in the middle of my workout, but I always felt better at the end. Hang in there! Hugs!
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Heartbreak is the worst. Sorry you're going through it. Remember you didn't lose him, he lost you. I would agree with the exercise. I can't say how helpful it has now become for me when I want to eat due to emotions. However, you asked for recipies and I've seen quite a few people recommend this site. The pictures alone look delish. Hope you feel better soon. :heart: http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I have my ex-bf to thank for where I am at today. I decided to get back into running to deal with the heartbreak and in less than 2 years I have completed my first 3 half marathons and my first marathon and am running my next marathon in 48 days. So THANK YOU to my ex-bf. It has made me so much hotter for when mr right comes along.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You ARE strong enough to deal with it. Take a yoga class, go get a massage, be good to yourself. You can take all the time for YOU...
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're hurting dear... My advice, eat until you get sick... Then associate that feeling with that jerk and say to yourself "NEVER AGAIN"... Then go for a walk, and keep going... They don't call it the break up diet for nothing ;)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    hello lovly mfps,

today i had my heartbroken by the man i love.
    The first thing i did was turn to food.
    I know I won't be strong enough to deal with heartbreak and not comfort eating but i was wondering if anyone had any good pick me up low calorie recipes I can try. I've lost him but i refuse to go back to how i was before this journey just because of sadness.

Thank you.
    I'm going through this right now and I think I've done a pretty good job at not turning to food, and I believe you can too. If you already start out with the mindset that you're going to turn to it, then you leave yourself no choice but to. I think you can find other things to do rather than eat. You can go out, keep yourself busy or exercise like others have suggested.

The way I look at it is that I'm already feeling pretty crappy through no fault of my own, but if I eat I'll feel bad and it will be my fault.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing but when my husband died I walked miles. It gives you thinking time :flowerforyou: So take up so some sort of exercise it helps work it out your system.