I have a confession... And I am now ready to talk about it.

Options
_Jessica_
_Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
I have a confession to make... as many of you know I have been on this sight for quite some time and I have been very successful with my weight loss. Thanks to the help of all of my wonderful friends on here, and also from the help of my team of doctors who have helped me to start my life "over".

About two years ago during a rutine follow up for my cancer (in remission) They noticed I had a lot of fatty deposits in my liver. I was devistated. I had done this to myself. I could not control my weight and now I had begone to damage my own liver. However, it could be reversed with weight loss.

It was then that my Dr. approached my with the possiblity of WLS. At first I was VERY hesitant. To me WLS meant I had been defeated by my own body, and for that I was ashamed. I felt as though I had given up. I soon began the process towards WLS, and almost two years later I had surgery to have a Gastric Sleeve done. A biopsy was done of my liver during the procedure and that biopsy confirmed stage one liver disease (left untreated, I would have been looking at a liver transplant down the road) I was horrified.

At first I was so ashamed that I had lost my battle and did not tell people what I had done. I was embarrassed. But now, 6 months later, my body is in the best shape it has been in ever, my joints downt ache, my liever is healing itself, and I feel great! It was the best thing I could have ever done for myself, Pysically, mentally and emotionally. I am finally finding out who the real me is.

I know some people will be discusted with my decision, and there will be people who dont believe in WLS, but I assure you all, it is not the easy way out, I still count calories and excercise, and I weigh myself every day and still fight the urges just like anyone else. It has not been easy, far from it. But I do ask you that you support ME, not the surgery, in my continued journey to better health.

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it wasn't an easy decision and it was something you had to do for your health. The main thing, though, is that you know it isn't an easy way out and that you still need to eat right and exercise. Who is anyone on here to pass judgement on something like that? Congrats on what you've lost so far, and for keeping it up and good luck with your future weightloss as well.
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think you've been very brave and it's other peoples problem if they don't like the way you have gone about it! Well done from me and you have my support any time you need it honey!!!!!! :) x
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    Thank you Emily.
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    Awe! @ 10 Fairy wings!
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Im applauding you for your bravery and courage in this situation...you did what you thought was right for you to get healthier...BRAVO!!!!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    what matters is that you are taking steps to a healthier you...
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from. I had WLS (lap band) in feb of this year. I struggled with who to tell and how to bring it up. I decided that for me the best ting was to tell people when theyasked me how I had lost so much so fast. that way I was not bragging or advertising it, but I was not hiding either. WTG for you for taking control of your health and life and ditoo on what you said abut still having to have some self control.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I say well done!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have been through quite a lot. There is nothing in your confession that is disgusting. In fact its inspiring! You didn't give up, you fought! Your story is a reminder to all of us not to take our health for granted but to look after our bodies that God has given us as best as we can.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! I am the LAST person to ever pass judgement on another human being. My life is faaaar too flawed to think I could justify it, anyway!!

I think you took the BRAVE way to a healthier you. I also think that you would have betrayed your body (and yourself) if you had gone on the path you were going and DIDN'T follow up with the WLS. Look at the chance you are giving yourself (one that not enough cancer patients are given, BTW), so I think you are an inspiration to so many of us! You have outlined all the ways that weight loss (and maintenance) and calorie conscientiousness can, and does, enhance and prolong our lives. I am very happy for you and your journey. I am also glad you made this tough decision. Now after having made it and following through with it, doesn't it just seem like SUCH an easy decision...knowing the benefits? My hat is off to you, my friend, and you have my support (and admiration) for as LOOOOOOONG as you live! God blessed you! :flowerforyou:

AND BY THE WAY, YOU *DO* HAVE A PRETTY FACE....AND "WOW! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! INSIDE AND OUT!"
  • princessd3b
    princessd3b Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What's most important is that you are well and alive and kicking! ;) Don't mind them haters. Much love and hugs.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have learned in life that there are many ways to accomplish goals, and this is necessary since people are so different. NEVER be ashamed of how you accomplish your goal (unless it is illegal or immoral of course). Each path to a goal involves discipline, hard work and commitment. Congratulations on your accomplishment and on being courageous enough to be transparent with us!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I have a childhood friend who started with the same liver issues. She was 200 pounds at 13 years old, so this is nothing new to her. She went up to probably 270 or so (5'2") and it scared the hell out of me as it was all in the upper body.

She had/had great insurance, support. short term disability, and a family that loves her. Yet she refused to have the surgery. Pride? Fear? I don't know.

About 2 years ago (only 1 year after the diagnosis) she had some sort of stroke that left her partially paralysed (sp) She has trouble speaking, cannot work, and will need a liver transplant at some point in the near future. She is 51!

YOU are BRAVE. Do NOT allow anyone tell you that you did anything but the right thing honey!

Keep up the good work, and teach your family how to eat healthy too!

:flowerforyou: AWTY
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You did what you had to do to save your life and that is the most important thing. Do not worry about what others think, if your life depends on it go ahead and do it!
  • ketrell
    ketrell Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WTG, in taking control over you health. You did what you had to do and now you feel better and that's all that matters.
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    sure is's a sensitive topic....but this is your life! You were able to do something about your situation and you're still working hard to maintain. I think you went through a lot mentally, I'm not going to add to that mental anguish. Keep up the good work, and stay strong!! Glad to hear you're liver is healing itself!!
  • jooles0
    jooles0 Posts: 47
    Options
    Great brave post. Well done you! I am open and honest about my bypass on here but in real life only 7 people know as it my business and those without weight issues can NEVER EVER understand. Hugs and more hugs to you.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Each of us is here for our own reasons. This means we all have to approach our journey to a healthy lifestyle in a way that works for each of us. If surgery was the best option for you, then that's all that matters. You have to live with that body and curse it when it won't cooperate - you take care of YOU!

Congratulations on your success!
  • RyanRay
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and how inspiring you are! Keep up the positive thinking - remember you are never alone!!
  • lardygoinslim
    lardygoinslim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No idea why you're so worried about what other people think! Those that have such strong views need to relax a bit and allow people to live their lives however they see fit. Pretty sure you can't have hurt anyone along the way so don't worry!

Well done for DOING something to positively improve your life!

Si :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!