Why is days logged in such a big deal to people?

Options

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It can be a bit annoying. A few people that I've noticed log in but don't log the food. Now that makes no sense to me, maybe they consider this more of a social site like Facebook?

I turned my counter off but I keep tracker on my calendar.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it deserved a rant though?

I've now seen three people complain about things such as..

OMG, I'm going on vacation I won't have internet, I need a way to keep my days logged in!

Items like that is why there is a rant.

While I'm sure I'd be fine *not* logging, I'd be concerned if I couldn't log for several days too. I don't understand why that's so annoying. For many people, logging itself is part of the lifestyle change. I wouldn't care about the days logged in thing, but i would care if I couldn't log to a degree.
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    Logging in on a daily basis hopefully means that people are committed to recording what they eat and how they exercise. It means that milestones are being made. For some, those little notices are good reminders of their good behavior. And since experts say that people who write down what they eat have a better chance of losing weight and keeping it off than those who don't, what's wrong with a little pat on the back reminder of how many days you have been doing this? Now, of course, as with anything, if you are not recording your meals or using the tool to assist in forming better lifestyle habits, then just logging in as a viewer won't help. I think the notification is a wonderful little reminder. It inspires me to see those who have logged in for so many days and it helps me to encourage my friends to keep up the good work because I can celebrate with them if I know that they have logged in so many days.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    here is how i look at it. if i am logging in everyday it puts my new lifestyle at the front of my mind. Its purely psychological to me.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options

OMG, I'm going on vacation I won't have internet, I need a way to keep my days logged in!

Ah, okay well fair enough then. I still see no point in ranting about people being gutted they can't log though. The thread kinda serves no purpose, it's moaning about other people moaning?

I can see why that would annoy you but starting a thread about it changes nothing
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I took the days logged-in off my automatic updates to my status.

Some people I think like it because it means that they are sticking with something and making sure that they log what they're doing. For other people it may be more of a Foursquare like badge :)

how do it take it it off?
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

yes...that is annoying...

So don't read it then I personally think that spending time on these Blogs is more obsessive than counting the days after all it's not Facebook!!!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Ah, okay well fair enough then. I still see no point in ranting about people being gutted they can't log though. The thread kinda serves no purpose, it's moaning about other people moaning?

I can see why that would annoy you but starting a thread about it changes nothing

It's called ranting, people do it for their own mental sanity. Also balances out the other crazies and returns balance to the universe! If you don't like the rant why post on it. Circle logic!
  • mello50
    Options
    Hi , I'm off track here but I am on here for the first time and was reading this crazy discussion on 'loggin' and seen your info after your post....you have lost 107 lbs since Feb.2011 !! That is wonderfully incredible...congratulations !! I do not have quite that much to lose but I'm happy to see it's possible to get a good deal off in a relatively short period of time. Now for the all important question....how did you do it??:smokin:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I venture into the wilderness a good bit hiking, kayaking, camping and leave the electronic devices at home - I love an occasional media blackout. It's nice that you can turn off the automatic posts related to days logged on. It actually made me a little antsy when I'd see a larger number and think, wow, I gotta get out soon!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I took the days logged-in off my automatic updates to my status.

Some people I think like it because it means that they are sticking with something and making sure that they log what they're doing. For other people it may be more of a Foursquare like badge :)

how do it take it it off?

Go to your account settings- then to Automatic News Feed Update Settings- uncheck the box that says: I have logged in for several days in a row

There is also a box for the update when you haven't logged in so many days
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options

It's called ranting, people do it for their own mental sanity. Also balances out the other crazies and returns balance to the universe! If you don't like the rant why post on it. Circle logic!

You asked a question and I answered it with my reason! That's what you wanted isn't it?! Annnd, I never said I didn't like the rant, I said I understood. Just that it was pointless!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It shows consistency and gives a person accountibility.

You can log in the database, just post a message in your homepage or even enter your breakfast or a cup of coffee only, and the system will count that as a "logging day." It doesn’t matter that if you did not complete the rest of the diary.

The system just recognizes your logging name and password, not the completion of the diary. That is not accountability, at least not for me.

And if you complete your diary the next day or after midnight, the system will not recognize the sequence of the loggings day and you will go back to "0."

That is why I unchecked that option too.
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Logging in is a part of my daily routine. If I missed a day, I'm not doing what I'd promised that I'd do for myself. But, then again, I log in to enter my food and exercise - not to be a part of a social network - I have Facebook and Twitter for that. Not logging in means that I didn't count my calories/water/exercise for a day - and that's a big no-no for me. I know what I need to do to be healthy - and I've found that MFP helps me to stay on track.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I switched mine off recently but I quite enjoy seeing other people clocking those days up. It shows commitment. :smile:
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    But honestly, why should it matter to someone else how I or anyone else is using MFP - if it's important to them to log in, for any reason, it's important to them. It shouldn't bother anyone else, because it doesn't affect anyone else.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I respond to those because to me it shows committment and focus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just curious from reading several posts now, it seems to people days logged in means more almost then living the healthy lifestyle and losing weight. Seriously people come to terms with your addiction. Days logged in gets you nothing in the end but a big number. If you are living healthy and losing weight who cares if you have 300 days logged in. No one cares about your large days logged in e-peen. /rant off.

I should of been more descriptive... I'm talking the people that are like.. OMG I'm going on vacation and no internet HOW DO I KEEP MY DAYS logged in....

go on vacation, eat right, that is more important than coming back to a larger days logged in number... that is the key of the rant!
    Many people have started and quit "dieting" over and over again if they do it on their own. Some need support, some need insight and let's face it, for some these might be the friends that may be the only ones that understand them.
    Others use is as accountability or may use it as their guide to eating right.
    To discount what's important to people because you don't think is important, just shows that some people really don't understand how other's perceive their weight loss journey's.
    Get over it. It's not that big a deal.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Why do you care ?
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    if it makes someone happy, wtf should you care?

That