How heavy were you at (UK) size 16?

Options
I really REALLY want this dress, but at the moment I don't want to buy it for the size I am now, as it won't look as nice as it does in the picture. Currently I'm at the border of size 18/20 on the top and size 22 on the bottom and I weigh 250lbs.

So basically I want to buy the dress for a size 16 and I wanted to know how far I would need to get to fit into it! I'm 5'5" and I'm pear shaped so I tend to be slimmer on the top naturally, so if anyone else is this shape and could advise me that would be great!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/Pantoinette/MFP album/goaldress.jpg I can't get the img to come up here for some reason so hopefully you can see this!

btw, comments on the dress would be fab too :D

Replies

• hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and when I was a size 16 I was around 13 and a half stone. This was in 2006 though, so I don't know how accurate it would be now. I've noticed shops seem to be shrinking their sizes while keeping the same labels on them!!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At 160-170 lbs and im 5ft0. This was like in 2008 though...now (2012) that im at 170lbs im a size 14. I think clothes shops are vanity sizeing lol
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7 and I was creeping into 16's at 191lbs I'd say 200-210 is a pretty certain 16 but it depends on ure build.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and shape as you!

Currently bout 180lb, size 14 bust, 16 waist and 18 hips xD

x
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i was a size 16 at about 10 and a half stone

im 5ft 6
  • PandaPop87
    Options
    So realistically I need to drop 50-60lbs before I can fit in that dress... the temptation to buy it is immense, but at the same time I don't want to be disappointed if I don't make it. Has anyone ever done that (and it worked)?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and when I was a size 16 I was around 13 and a half stone. This was in 2006 though, so I don't know how accurate it would be now. I've noticed shops seem to be shrinking their sizes while keeping the same labels on them!!

about the same i am 5ft 9"...but where you have alot to shift(sorry) your skin will change shape now so i wouldn't gaurentee that it would be 13.5 stone if you are like me now i have a size 18/20 top and 22/24 bottom now!! lol(all tummy) it looses as it wants too your body..
    good luck x
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Well im 5'5" and at my highest weight I was about 186lbs+

At that weight I was a size 16/18 on top (Large chest)
    And a 16 on bottoms (Sometimes 14)

Now I weigh 158.4lbs and am a 14 on top and 12 on bottoms!!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It might be more useful for you set measurement goals rather than a weight goal - I read somewhere (sorry, can't rememeber where or when exactly but i think it was a fashion magazine), that the weight range for a single dress size can be like 2st difference! This it because there are factors like height and body composition (fat percentage, lean mass, bone density etc).
    Find out the waist size of a size 16 and work with that!
    Good luck!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am 204 lbs and uk 18/20 I would hope to be a 16 at 190 or thereabouts. but it completely depends on body shape.

If I saw a dress I really really wanted I would buy it now in my size and then have it taken in when I lose the weight.

The other alternative is to buy a 16 and hang it on your wardrobe door as an incentive.:smile:
  • Tundra03
    Options
    I just started MFP two weeks ago and I was at 192 pounds when I started and I have only lost 6 pounds so far but I am a size 16 depending on the style of dress i can fit into a 14...I am from Canada though not sure of the difference in Canadian and UK sizes...i think anywhere from 190 - 200 pounds is somewhere between size 14 and 16.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am size 16 at the moment and weigh just under 16st or 220lbs. I'm 5ft 8".

You should'nt think you cant wear something you like because of your size. The only thing I do not like about losing weight is getting rid of my lovely clothes as I just shopped at plus size shops like Yours Clothing and Evans where they do flattering dresses they don't do in typical high street shops.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good lord, looking at these posts I think you'd be hard pushed to figure out a weight! We're all different!! Go on the measurements of the dress, the bust and the waist are the main points to work on, the hips look quite forgiving!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The dress is amazing!

The smallest part is under the bust so I think you'll fit into it easily due to your shape--I look for the same type of dresses--but it's hard to say how many pounds you have to lose to drop a size...

I'd say to just keep exercising and maybe the inches will fall off faster than the pounds.
  • PandaPop87
    Options
    It might be more useful for you set measurement goals rather than a weight goal - I read somewhere (sorry, can't rememeber where or when exactly but i think it was a fashion magazine), that the weight range for a single dress size can be like 2st difference!

I shall definitely try that! I never even thought of trying that to be honest!
    If I saw a dress I really really wanted I would buy it now in my size and then have it taken in when I lose the weight.

The other alternative is to buy a 16 and hang it on your wardrobe door as an incentive.

Do you think that would work with this particular dress? As this is an idea! As for hanging it on the door, its like £50! Might be a little expensive for me to do that :p Mind you, my birthday is coming up in December, I could put money from that towards it...
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    the dress is awesome.

I think its hard to say what weight youd need to be to get to that size as its different for everyone.

Im the same height as my best friend, but when i was her weight i was a size 16/18, and she was a size 12. I just carry weight weirdly.
  • yevasdottir
    yevasdottir Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, recently, I weighed 154 pounds for 5 feet 6 inches of height. Only my top half was a size 16 (UK): my lower half was UK size 12. It doesn't get any more. Sometimes it goes down to a UK size 10 - which makes buying a DRESS for this body impossible. If I get one that fits the hips, I can't fasten it up, above the waist. If I get one that fits above the waist, it's like a bell tent below.

So - good luck with the dress you want: but think first - is ALL your body going to be the same dress-size, or are you going to struggle, as I do?

The only place I know, in the UK, which sells dresses adjusted to fit various bust-sizes/cup sizes is Bravissimo.
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    im, a size 16-18 in tops and a 18-20 bottom im 5ft9 and a half and currently weigh abot same as you, but when i was a size 12-14 before i had my baby i was 11stone so i think its more were you hold on to the weight ! xx
  • PandaPop87
    Options
    Well, I've just looked at my measurements and the measurements of a size 16 in the dress that I want - so... here's the difference:-

My Bust: - 45" Dress Bust - 39" Difference - 6"
    My Waist - 41.5" Dress Bust - 32" Difference - 9.5"
    My Hips - 57" Dress Hips - 41.5" Difference - 15.5"

So all in all, I need to lose a LOT of inches! I think I'm gonna have to hit the 30 Day Shred and try and keep it up!
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am in Australia and I believe our sizes are the same as British sizes. I am currently at 89.3 kg which comes out as almost exactly 14st and i am just renewing my wardrobe with size 18s- they fit well , have a normal amount of space for movement but are certainly not loose- BTW I am exactly 5.5. I have an older shirt sized 16 and i can.y comfortably button it up- perhaps that will happen when I reach about 180-185- just guessing.

The dress you are looking at is lovely but so precisely fitted that I think it would be too much of a risk unless you are prepared to give it away or resell it.Depending on your shape an many other factors it is really impossible to
    telI when and if it will ever fit as your proportions will have to exactly match those of the dress- and in the right season to boot!! Good luck with it all