How often do you/should you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Pleasedaspunch
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the morning (usually a friday) after waking up and going to the toilet. :)
    I also take my measurements once a month.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Weekly, on the same day, in the morning when you rise on an empty stomach, after you do your business.
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning at the same time and after I go to the bathroom.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    your all sneaky going to the toilet first lol
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    lol I might worship the scale A BIT. I weigh myself nearly every time I enter the bathroom.. but I only record about once a week because of fluctuation
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, that way I can keep track of fluctuations, ie water retention due to sodium, and also to keep track of how certain foods affect me. I expect fluctuations so I dont let them bother me.

I only ever log my weight on here once a week, at the same time and the same day first thing in the morning.

Same here.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single morning. I was worried at first that it might seem obsessive, and since I have an obsessive personality I guess I really dont care. I need to see progress, and sometimes that means staying at the same weight for days at a time...but I need to see that the scale isnt going in the wrong direction. If I have lost it encourages me to go out and exercise. If I am a plateau it motivates me to get out and exercise. If I gained weight, I get angry and I throw on my shoes and do a "disappointed with myself" super powered exercise, lol. No matter how I look at it weighing daily is right for me. Everyone is different. If you can handle the suspense then weigh weekly. If you are like me and want to open your Christmas presents early just to see what they are then you might find yourself standing on your scale at 5am every morning!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I too weigh myself once a week (Saturday) and I take measurements once a month.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I weigh every single morning. I was worried at first that it might seem obsessive, and since I have an obsessive personality I guess I really dont care. I need to see progress, and sometimes that means staying at the same weight for days at a time...but I need to see that the scale isnt going in the wrong direction. If I have lost it encourages me to go out and exercise. If I am a plateau it motivates me to get out and exercise. If I gained weight, I get angry and I throw on my shoes and do a "disappointed with myself" super powered exercise, lol. No matter how I look at it weighing daily is right for me. Everyone is different. If you can handle the suspense then weigh weekly. If you are like me and want to open your Christmas presents early just to see what they are then you might find yourself standing on your scale at 5am every morning!

I'm scared once I weigh in I'm gonna be OCD about doing it daily lol
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the same time every morning that I am at home before I shower and eat/drink anything. The scales are Tanita and they automatically record the weight and some other data to an SD card in the scales. Every week or two I take the SD card to my PC and download the data from the SD card to the Tanita software so that I have a record (and charts!) of progress.

However, as other people have noted, a person's weight can fluctuate wildly on a daily basis, up to a couple of pounds over 36 hours in my case. It's good to keep an eye on your weight but the important figures are the weekly and especially monthly numbers.

SS
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I'm scared once I weigh in I'm gonna be OCD about doing it daily lol

Okay after reading all your posts, I guess I am the OCD weigher. Every Morning, after exercise (to know how much hydration I need to add to my day. If i sweat out a pound of water, then I add an extra quart of water to my day) Before dinner... I don't record all these, I just mainly use the readings to keep me on course, and to make sure I am replenishing my fluids. I'm not always good about drinking my water.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do what you think will benefit you the most.

Personally, I weigh all the time because it's motivating for me to be constantly reminded of where I stand with my progress.

However, some folks are easily discouraged by the daily fluctuations, so if that's you, I say no more than once a week.

However, some ladies don't like the number they see during the week they might be seeing Aunt Flow. If that's you, skip the weigh in that week and see what's up the next week.

Just do what's right for you.
  • latinahada
    Options
    I weigh weekly. I get too frustrated if I weigh daily...I know my weight fluctuates, but I still play mind games with myself it I weigh daily. I weigh at the same time, wearing the same clothing, on the same scales, and have the scales in the same place on the floor. I also skip weighing in if I've cheated a little, had more salt than usual, a moderate amount of alcohol or whatever- due to fluid retention...
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my first weigh in yet..

Idk if I am meant to do it
    weekly...
    Monthly..

I don't wanna do it daily cause 1. That seems ridiculously obsessive to me *Sorry if you do that*

I would stick to 1x or 1x every other week. Do it too often, you'll drive yourself crazy for every 1-2lb changes if you see those numbers.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i weigh every other day, mainly because ive altered my diet and want to see the effects. Most people weigh weekly.
  • juliapm7
    Options

This is exactly the same reason why I weigh myself every morning.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily otherwise I tend to thnk that I have plenty of time to work off the naught food that I have just eaten before weigh day. If I weigh every day I don't think that.

I do expect fluctuations so don't worry about them though
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I weigh daily. It works for me...Keeps me on track and motivated (even during this plateau).

Try doing it weekly and see how that works. You may find that bi-weekly or even monthly works better for you.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I am a daily weigher! I can't help it, it is addicting when I am losing weight. It keeps me accountable. When I was heavy I did not get on the scale!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Once a week is going to be my plan, after I finish the challenge I'm doing at the moment. But another suggestion I would have is to always use the same scale. They all measure a little different. My husband weighs in almost 5lbs different on the gym scale then on our scale at home.