Any cyclists have this problem?

Options
I'm fairly new to cycling but lately I've noticed that my pinkies have been hurting really bad. Do you think maybe I'm holding the handlebars wrong? I have a road bike and I typically stay in position 2 - I just don't feel comfortable with my hands all the way out by the gears (position 3) and I don't feel that position 1 gives you much control.

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My fingers used to fall asleep a lot. I noticed that when I started doing strength training in my arms it got better, which makes sense considering a lot of your body weight goes on your wrists and to the handlebars.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My fingers go to sleep as well and I'm wondering if it's because my bike isn't a proper fit.

I wonder if adjusting the height of the bars would help.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been riding fixed gears for 3 years, using drop bars, bullhorns and low rise bars and haven't had an issue yet. I'm guessing you guys probably need to adjust your bars/seat height. Your sizing for your bike might be off too.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have only been cycling a short time myself, so I will be interested to hear other responses as well. I know that using gloves helped cushioning my hands, relaxing my shoulders and trying not to let my wrists roll outward too much took pressure off my pinky's. I also had to use a stem rise to raise up the handle bars to keep my hands from going from painful numb to a numb I can shake off and cope with :)
  • rthompson81
    Options
    I've been riding fixed gears for 3 years, using drop bars, bullhorns and low rise bars and haven't had an issue yet. I'm guessing you guys probably need to adjust your bars/seat height. Your sizing for your bike might be off too.

When I bought the bike I spent time with a tech fitting it specifically for me, so I'm not sure that's it. I really think it has to do with riding posture and the muscles in your arms that help you support yourself. For others though, it could definitely be the size or the seat/handlebar adjustments. I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions though...
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options

When I bought the bike I spent time with a tech fitting it specifically for me, so I'm not sure that's it. I really think it has to do with riding posture and the muscles in your arms that help you support yourself. For others though, it could definitely be the size or the seat/handlebar adjustments. I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions though...

Well I don't know about the posture, but I could maybe see the strength of your arms. I have a REALLY aggressive setup to my bike. My seat rides much higher than my handlebars. I'll post a pic of it. And I don't experience any discomfort aside from my rear-end on REALLY long rides. (in excess of 30+ miles)

EDIT: it's now my main picture.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Usually this happens when you have to support your upper body by pushing too hard on the handlebars. Having a proper fit helps, which means that the frame has to be the proper size, not only seat tube height, but also the length of the frame from seat post to head has to be right, or you'll lean forward too much. Strengthening your core and riding with proper posture also helps.

one of the best articles on this i read

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#posture
  • rthompson81
    Options
    Usually this happens when you have to support your upper body by pushing too hard on the handlebars. Having a proper fit helps, which means that the frame has to be the proper size, not only seat tube height, but also the length of the frame from seat post to head has to be right, or you'll lean forward too much. Strengthening your core and riding with proper posture also helps.

Great article. Thanks!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it's the bike because I had a triathlon coach and a bike mechanic help me pick it out and get it specifically adjusted to me - it may be more of a strength/posture issue, because I still don't have a whole lot of upper body strength. I'll ask my tri coach, too, and see what she thinks. And it may be totally unrelated to cycling, too - it may be from working on a computer all day long and I'm just straining my fingers too much, because they've never been numb from riding, I just notice that my pinky joints seem to be really sore.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

The Legend!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, absolutely. And for a reason.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be an ED thread...................
  • SueB54
    SueB54 Posts: 5
    Options
    Funny you should mention that, my husband and I just finished the Dempsey Challenge here in Maine last Sunday, we biked 70 miles in 5hrs 20 minutes and by the end of it I had a pinkie that was numb for a couple days.
    We are avid road bikers and usually put in about 40+ miles per week, on our rides I find myself changing my hand position, rolling my shoulders, even stretching when we take a break to decrease the chances of minor injuries.
    I just think you need to adjust your grip and lighten up alittle at times. Move you hands around and I bet you will decrease the chances of it happening.
    Also check your position when riding, are you in your drops alot or seated straighter in the seat, stress on your neck will make a difference with your upper body and on your hands.
    Good luck happy biking, I love it!!:)
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems related to hand position and how much pressure I'm putting on the nerves in my hands as I rest forward.

A couple of things I did that made this go away:

1. gloves help. the padding keeps you from putting as much pressure on the nerves.
    2. upper body and arm strength. there are great exercises you can do as part of a core workout that involve going from elbows up to shoulders and back down.
    3. tri bars. when my hands get sore, I drop into my tri bars. if you have a tri coach talk to them about getting you set up.

Good luck, keep riding!

S
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I talked to Ruth (my tri coach) about it and she said I was probably gripping too hard and that we need to look at my seat adjustment to make sure it's not too far forward or backward. Hopefully some minor adjustments will help - and maybe some gloves! :smile:
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    If the numbness occurs on the outside fingers on the hand, pay attention to the seat height and handle bars. I had problems back in 2005 with the ulnar nerve (opposite side of the wrist from carpal tunnel), because I was putting to much weight forward on the handle bars. I keep a close eye on it now, and haven't had the problem since. But, it was a bad year back then.

If you look at the link on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve), you'll see why it effects the outside of the hand, and not the inside.

Best of luck to you.