Shallow reasons for dieting

Options
dianeellen2
dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
I read with interest all the reasons people want to loose weight and must admit i feel a little shallow when i think of my motivation. Let me explain....we have recently had to start wearing high-vis vests at work. Mine is large and didnt do up! i could not bring myself to ask for an extra large to be ordered for me so weight loss was the answer. half a stone down now and it meets but is still to tight to do up so another half stone required - anyone else have any shallow reasons for loosing weight?

Replies

• funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think any kind of motivation to lose weight can be too shallow! I remember the shame I felt when I needed a seat-belt extender on a flight. That wasn't even my motivation, but it easily could have been!

Keep up the good work!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything shallow about looking good.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything shallow about looking good.

This.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Why is it shallow to want to look good? It's natural!
    Otherwise peopel would never have hair cuts, or wear make up, and there'd just be like one set of uniform clothes and no fashion industry.

I wanna look good because I care about myself and I respect myself, why should I walk about looking like crap when I have it in me to look beautiful?
    There's nothing shallow about wanting to look as good outside as you feel inside!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, a large part of me deciding to lose weight was because my pants didn't fit. I went in to buy new jeans and didn't like the size I was up to. Even though I was 100 lbs overweight I didn't have any health problems and could easily bike or walk for miles. So it was probably mainly for vanity, since clothing sizes have been my main motivation to lose.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Coming back home from my trip to the UK, the seatbelt on the plane didnt fit me. That was a huge eye opener for me and quite embarassing.

Weird the seatbelt going to the UK was huge on me. Must have been two different type (or I had a fattening vacation)
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes my stomach sticks out so much I can't see my penis!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you, how can that be wrong? :flowerforyou:
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have health reasons to think of, but I think some of us have those "shallow" reasons too. And, I don't think they're really shallow, if we've ever been made to feel ashamed of our size, it's not a good feeling, and one that people want to avoid. Who likes hurt feelings?

My goals, at this age, are health related.

My shallow goal: tight red pencil skirt. Oh yeah!:smile:
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nothing shallow at all-what a great way to motivate yourself. You could make it a goal to need to ask for a medium vest next year! By the way- my "shallow" reason was that I didn't want to be the fat mom at my son's baseball games last spring:) Whatever works!!!
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Yes my stomach sticks out so much I can't see my penis!
    Winner of this thread, so far!
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    While my health is growing more important to me as I age, I will fully admit that my main focus is being able to wear cute clothes again.
  • Smadayrrek22
    Options
    I agree, there is nothing shallow about wanting to loose weight because you wanted to fit into your top. As long as you feel better about yourself and your self-confidence goes up, thats all that matters!

YouTube Chanel about Weight loss: smadayrrek
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Besides my health, most if not ALL of my reasons are shallow! I want to look sexy, wear nice clothes, look good, attract guys, be in shape, have a nice body etc etc etc. I don't ever consider it a bad thing. It's totally normal. Most people who say they are only losing weight for health reasons are what I like to call liars.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I agree it's not shallow. And even if it is, who cares.

It's motivated you and you will be healthier now.
    It doesn't matter what leads you to the road, all that matters is that you get there.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Shallow is having a healthy BMI and complaining to the obese person next to you that you just can't keep weight off.

Shallow is insisting on going to a restaurant where your dieting family member won't find anything on the menu that fits their food plan.

Realizing you don't want to get a bigger size? That's not shallow, that's a wake up call.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    haha mine's even shallower (It is a word) I weighed in at 171lbs, which for a 5'10" tall, 20something year old woman is healthy. On the high end, but healthy. I used to weigh 126 and when my jeans stopped fitting I decided that rather than buy the next ize up, I'd diet instead! Yeah, I've split my jeans and had to buy new ones anyway, but I refused to go up a size. I'm still dieting now though because I refuse to buy a size 12 and while I can fit into size 10 skirts and trousers, I'm still struggling with jeans so I'm continuing with the diet until I can get into them.
  • DafphineSpencer
    Options
    ANY reason to lose weight is a GOOD reason. I researched bariatric surgery 3 years ago and backed out of having it done. I struggled for 2 more years to lose weight on my own and then I injured my back. I gained 80 more lbs after the injury and it took a neurosurgeon telling me that I was looking at back surgery to make the decision. I preferred bariatric over back surgery. I had already had the band installed when I went to the fair with my kids this summer. My son wanted me to ride with him. I got on the ride and had to get off because I was too big for the shoulder harness to fasten. I was mortified. Instead of letting that embarassment get me down though, I got ANGRY...really ANGRY!!!! I firmly stated that next summer I will ride that ride with my son all night long if he wants to and I'm working towards that goal.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Aside from health, my reasons and I suspect most peoples reasons could be considered shallow. Who doesnt want to look good naked!!?? But theres a major difference in this and acting shallow. Its motivation and its a good thing!