Reheating Steel Cut Oats

Options
I am making a big batch of apple steel cut oatmeal to have for breakfasts this week. I have a great recipe to use, and I have heard that steel cut oats reheat really well. But I don't know the best way to do this. What is the best way to store and reheat large pots of steel cut oats? Thanks.

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I always just stick the leftovers in a tupperware and put it in the fridge. When reheating, put the desired amount into a bowl, add a bit of water (or milk), stir and stick in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir, add more water (or milk) if it is too sticky for your liking, cook for another 45 seconds or until the temp you desire.

Just beware, the oats become weird and gelatenous when refrigerated (at least mine do!) but don't let that scare you when you go to eat them the next day, once reheated, they come out just fine :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I usually add a bit of milk to them and reheat them on the stove or microwave. Also, they are good eaten cold..almost pudding like!
  • jkarnett
    Options
    I make large batches in my crockpot using apple pie spice. I separate out a weeks worth in glass storage dishes. I grab one every morning and add to my lunch box with my lunch as I start work at 6 am. No way I can eat that early in the AM! I am an Ultrasonographer so I usually take a quick break after my first two patients and eat. I add a little soy milk, brown sugar splenda, walnuts and a dried berries blend. I microwave for around 2 minutes stirring after 1 minute. Yummy! Holds me over until I am able to take lunch so I don't need a snack midmorning.
  • mice152
    mice152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What's your recipe?
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    What's your recipe?

It has 3 cups of chopped apples, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cups of steel cut oats. Mix with 6 cups of water and cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Based on reheating suggestions above I plan on reheating with a little unsweeted vanilla almond milk. Like eating apple crisp for breakfast. Can't wait until tomorrow morning.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump..that oatmeal sounds tasty..thanks
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
  • dustyhockeymom
    Options
    What's your recipe?

It has 3 cups of chopped apples, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup loose packed brown sugar and 2 cups of steel cut oats. Mix with 6 cups of water and cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Based on reheating suggestions above I plan on reheating with a little unsweeted vanilla almond milk. Like eating apple crisp for breakfast. Can't wait until tomorrow morning.

Edited to add: forgot the brown sugar. Probably wouldn't be as good.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I spray the crockpot with a little spray cooking oil first. It keeps the oats from sticking to the side and makes clean up easy.
  • dustyhockeymom
    Options
    I spray the crockpot with a little spray cooking oil first. It keeps the oats from sticking to the side and makes clean up easy.

I learned my lesson on this one today. I probably lost a full serving due to sticking to the sides. I wasn't sure if spraying the sides would work though because there is so much water. Glad to hear it does.