Cutting out soda?

Options
Has anyone cut out soda to help lose weight? If so, did it work? I drink 3-4 cans of Coke zero, occasionally regular coke daily and am thinking of switching to water only.

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I cut pop out of my lifestyle completely. I'll drink water, skim milk and tea. It has helped me I do believe. I also limit alcohol too.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i used to drink about 6 diet dr peppers a day and went cold turkey....i have noticed a huge difference in how i feel and weight loss. i have replaced it with water and for a variation in flavor...i add real lemon. best decision i ever made.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I quit the soda! Cut out the junk, the snacking, the sodas and the sugar cravings went away! I could not believe all the sodas I was drinking!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda and noticed a HUGE difference. I just quit it cold turkey too. I never felt a need to drink it again or anything. I stopped drinking it almost 10 years ago actually
  • ASallay
    Options
    I cut it out, but occassionally have one. I try my best not to drink it because it actually makes me crave sweet things.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda and noticed a HUGE difference. I just quit it cold turkey too. I never felt a need to drink it again or anything. I stopped drinking it almost 10 years ago actually

holy hell.

I'm only on year 2 of quitting and thought I was ballin'
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i used to drink about 6 diet dr peppers a day and went cold turkey....i have noticed a huge difference in how i feel and weight loss. i have replaced it with water and for a variation in flavor...i add real lemon. best decision i ever made.

I quit soda drinking in March of 2010 and I also just feel much better. I drink water, tea coffee and milk. I also like the Sobe water made with stevia.
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i think it helps A LOT! I used to drink colas daily and now I might share one with my friend on a Sunday afternoon...although more often not. And when I do it will certainly not have high fructose corn syrup in it! (I choose the Mexican Coke or Pepsi versions)

Even diet drinks contribute. But they do it secretly, by their sweetness they increase cravings for more sweets. I don't do the artificial sweetener thing - too chemical!

this article is interesting too:
    http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you-1250/
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda a few months ago and now I noticed they give me a headache if I do drink them.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ha yeah, i was a freshman in high school when I stopped having soda. the carbonation kills me now if i try. if I'm drinking alcohol, ill have a diet every now and then as a mixer, but i don't think i could even drink an entire can if i tried ha!
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I stop drinking anything carbonated in MAY. I don't miss it..well kinda :blushing: I thought my Doc was full of crap when she told me to drink 8 glasses a day. I feel better, my weight is coming off.
  • awkwwward
    Options
    I cut it out as well. When I was younger, I'd drink up to a 2-litter bottle a day. I'd kill a 12 pack in that amount of time too. Now, I maybe have a soda once every few months when we're out at a restaurant. Like anything else bad for you, there will be cravings until you cut it out but after that - the cravings stop and I started feeling so much better! Like my insides were clear or something. So much better since. Good luck!
  • Prazzie
    Prazzie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It makes a huge difference. I couldn't drink soda now, it would be too sweet. If I drink a diet soda, I get stomach cramps and feel nauseous. I try drinking water only, but sometimes I'll eat something with a strong taste, then I'll have a cup of coffee to wash the taste away.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    From a purely weight loss viewpoint, as long as you account for the calories, there's nothing wrong with soda. Stopping drinking it wont magically cause fat to fall off.

The people who say they have lost weight when they stopped just consumed less calories when they stopped.
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i wasn't a big soda drinker until later on in college. when i started here, i'm completely cut it out. i pretty much cut out caffeine, and i feel SO much better. water (with lemon, lime, or cucumber), smoothies, soy milk, and the occasional glass of wine. yes, drinking that much water can get old, but it's worth it. i feel better, and staying hydrated does great things for your skin.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For those of you that quit, was it hard to do it?

I'm considering cutting back on my consumption. I am a diet drinker, so I won't save any calories, but my stomach is having problems lately, and I think it might help. However, I will have to replace the caffeine with coffee and tea, because I don't want to end up in withdrawal.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, every now and then I have a tremendous craving for fountain Diet Coke! But, I realize i just enjoy the carbonation. Generally I have club soda and flavor it if I am looking for something additional.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Has anyone cut out soda to help lose weight? If so, did it work? I drink 3-4 cans of Coke zero, occasionally regular coke daily and am thinking of switching to water only.

I only drink diet sodas, as regular taste wierd to me. I try limiting my Diet soda to 1-2 bottles/cans about 1x a week if I'm craving. It makes me feel bloated, and gassy to where I end up burping a lot. So I usually drink Diet sports drinks or Diet teas. Since they don't give me that feeling. I honestly only drink water with my protein shakes, which is anywhere from 8-16 oz of water a day.
  • Semperfione
    Options
    I have been on diet coke for over 40 yrs. Aspertaine is the problem with the diet pops out there. I recently put a comment on my page concerning the effects of diet pop. I am trying not to have anything with the aspertaine in it, regular pop has too much sugar. For those who have had cancer, sugar is like fuel for cancer so I try not to have it either.

Aspertaine is not good for us. Google it and you will see what I mean. Aspertaine is also hidden in so many other products, even water that is flavored has it in it...there is one out there that has stevia in it now, so I am trying it and it tastes pretty good..:-)
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Aspertaine is not good for us. Google it and you will see what I mean.

Better yet, use Google scholar:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=aspartame+safety&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0,38&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

"The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230002915424

"These results further document the safety of the long-term consumption of aspartame at doses equivalent to the amount of aspartame in approximately 10 L of beverage per day."

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/149/10/2318

"The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener."

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184