Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

grocery shopping survey

Hey everyone I have a couple ??

Do you have a grocery budget?
If so, what's ur fam size? And how much do you spend?
How often do you grocery shop?
Another good related question if I have a loaf of bread and a slice or two grows mold do I toss everything? What about on a cheese block? Do I dispose of the moldy piece or just throw it away?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Another good related question if I have a loaf of bread and a slice or two grows mold do I toss everything? What about on a cheese block? Do I dispose of the moldy piece or just throw it away?

Mold in cheese can grow throughout the block, even if you can't see it. It can be 1" or deeper then the green/discolored part you see.

Do whatever you want.

For the most part, at home I'd cut off the bad looking piece and keep the rest.

From a culinary/food safety standpoint, you gotta throw it out.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    wow, well ummmm
    yes grocery budget $125/week
    it's just me and my fiance
    once or twice a week i head to the grocery store
    throw out the bread once it expires
    cheese gets ate before mold is ever even thought of
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Hey.

No budget; I keep round numbers in my head.
    There's just two of us (and the cat). We spend 60-70$ a week on average.
    Grocery shop every week.
    I don't toss everything, not even the slices. I cut the mold off, but carefully inspect the rest of the bread. I bake my own bread these days, so it doesn't last long enough to collect mold (and usually stales before then).
    For the cheese, cut off the moldy piece. If there are spots all over, forget it and throw it out. I haven't died yet and I'm allergic to penicillin.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Also, you can freeze virtually anything..

Veg, milk, cheese, cooked pasta, etc.

If you're bored on sunday, clean and cut a bunch of veg, put them in baggies and you're all set for the week, stews, soups, stirfrys, casseroles..anything. Loss in quality is minimal, specially if you're cookin it afterwards.

Good way to save time and money ^^.
  • sherrylwilson
    sherrylwilson Posts: 31 Member
    Family of four (2 are teenage boys)
    We spend $175.00 a week., that might seem high. I cook meals, we do not eat out much.
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Question 1) of course
    Question 2) 7
    Question 3) We try to keep it at $1000 a month
    Questions 4 and 5) No...throw away the moldy pieces. You can keep bread a bit longer if you freeze it, just take out the slices you need and thaw them by using the lowest setting on your toaster (or if you're packing a kids lunch...they'll thaw all by themselves by lunchtime, anyway). As for cheese...just trim the mold.

You CANNOT apply this rule to fruits and veggies or other dairy products. The mold and bacteria you see isn't localized...it's spread throughout...the part you see is just the only part showing it's "colors". It doesn't matter so much with bread and cheese...your body can handle it. But everything else...toss.

Try shopping weekly, washing and slicing your fruits and veggies and transferring them to produce bags or tupperware containers to keep longer, and only buying what you need for your menu to help eliminate food waste.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Family of 4, no budget. Buy what we need to eat and cut back in other areas....but NEVER food. Throw all molded food away.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    I keep my bread in the ref. we don't use it very fast keeps it better that way.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    ugh I spend way too much.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    $250 a week for four of us...I cook overly elaborate meals and enjoy every bite!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Yes I have a budget: $250/week (my daughter who is a single mom lives with us so this includes diapers etc too)

family of 4: 3 adults and a 2 1/2 yr old and 1 dog

I throw away just the moldy pieces of bread, check rest of loaf (keep eye on it daily)

Cheese I cut off the moldy piece of cheese and eat the rest: I too am allergic to penicillin and I also have not died yet!! LOL

If I have strawberries or something and they start to mold I throw the whole pkg out!!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Hey everyone I have a couple ??

Do you have a grocery budget?
    If so, what's ur fam size? And how much do you spend?
    How often do you grocery shop?

Yes, and no. I am a freak about food going bad. If I can't remember when I bought it... out it goes. I work in healthcare... My mom and I date everything with a Sharpe. For real. Mayo, dips, things we do not go through fast get a date. Stop laughing!!! I actually had a dressing I bought used it once. Forgot about it. when I remembered about it, it was almost 2 months old and smelled perfectly fine! I still tossed it.

Budget? Not really. We are a family of 5. 3 kids. We also hunt for deer. That off sets beef some. We just got a 1/4 of a beef for 400 bucks. So, my meat bill will go down soon.

We roughly spend 4-5 hundred a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Kids go through snacks like crazy. I just bought 2 pounds of apples 2 days ago, and I have 6 apples left. We have to get my hubby's red bull, and it is 20 bucks for a 12 pack. Yep not case, but 12 pack. We also are big fans of the 100 calorie packs.

Something we never cut back on is food. With 3 growing kids they have to eat.
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    We spend roughly $5-600 on groceries, which includes everything (i.e. milk to diapers) for a family of 4 (two toddlers). We buy a lot of fresh produce, so I pretty much shop weekly. Sometimes, I end up in the store 2x's week, which I don't like because then I buy things I don't need. It would probably be more, but I've been trying to be good about using coupons and taking advantage of BYGO offers.

I keep my bread in the fridge so we rarely have to worry about mold, but I typically end up throwing the whole thing out if it molds because typically, if it's gotten to that point, it's all the way through. As for cheese, I cut it off and use it.
  • I never thought about sticking the bread in the fridge! thanks for the input guys