Still seeing yourself as big

Options
So far I've lost about 35lbs and although the tape measure, scales, clothes all show that I've lost weight, I still see myself as big as I was before. My mind is having trouble catching up with my body. I still keep reaching for the XL clothes forgetting that they are far too big for me now and I should be going for a smaller size! Mostly this is with tops rather than trousers, I gave up my 40/42" waist trousers for 38" but the tops are starting to get a bit ridiculously big so why do I keep buying them that big?

How long did it take for your mind to catch up with the changes in your body? I still have a fair way to go, but hopefully it will catch up in the end :)

Replies

• meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ive only lost 11lbs but when im out shopping now i have to remind myself to go for the smaller size, look at mediums instead of larges and its a bit strange because although ive noticed a little difference I don thtink its enough to warrant a smaller size, but the clothes dont lie. 4 items in my new smaller size ive bought. so its not a fluke! :)

you'll get there, its the changing room thing where you'll see it! Its habit more than anything but habits can change :)

well done and good luck in your future shopping trips :)
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    bump

I am not there yet. My mind has not caught up with my body and i sometimes feel like I am the same size, even though i have lost some weight. Dropped four sizes but i look the same.

Love to hear any helpful advice for this mind game!!
  • abirdy
    abirdy Posts: 36
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I lost 52 pounds and when I look at myself, I still see the fat stomack. I have no idea if I will ever see me as other people do. Sorry I can't help you but you are not alone by feeling the way you do...
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel really good about myself, and some days, when I walk by a mirror in a store, or even a window, I think to myself, man, I'm still so big. I KNOW I'm not, but it's like that self image will never go away.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I always see myself as BIG. I have been anorexic twice in my life and don't believe I can ever be smaller. Good job on your loss so far!!!

Bev
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I honeslty feel the same way! People congratulate me on how much weight I've lost but I don't see it! Yes, my clothes feel loose but when it's just me and the mirror I still see the fattie!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    After six months and 100lb (yay!), I realised last week that I was window shopping in "NORMAL" size shop windows and wishing the stores were open so I could go in and try things on. In fact, I told my husband how lucky he was because one store had some great rock and roll dancing dresses and I had my purse with me. He was lucky (our bank account was lucky?) cos the shop was closed.

It wasn't a gradual realisation for me. It just happened without me evening thinking about it. I'm not huge anymore!:flowerforyou:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    We just had a new uniform come in at work, I made them order me shirts two sizes too big because I still feel that size.
    :ohwell:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the brain to catch up. It's getting better, and I really think part of the problem is that I didn't see myself as I really was when I gained weight, either. So my mental image of myself is somewhere between where I was at my highest, and where I am now.