Alcohol

Options
So how does alcohol affect weight loss? I haven't drank since I started my diet/lifestyle change but am under some stress and just feel like a drink or a few to calm my nerves.

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Like anything else, it's fine in moderation.

If everything else is in check, an occasional drink won't derail you.
  • lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your counting the calories in whatever your drinking and you should be fine.

Having said that, I would seriously try to stick to one drink and see how you feel.

Alcohol in its self won't effect your weight loss as long as you factor in your calories but the binge eating that can come with drinking can throw you off the wagon FAST!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Count everything! Including alcohol... However you'll find that a lot of beers, wine and hard liquor can include a lot of empty calories... Not that you can't but just be aware and try to plan ahead, is all. I also feel that having a couple of drinks with friends makes me want to snack - bad combination :) good luck! Also amazing what a 1/2 hr intense workout can do to relieve stress!!
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Drinking can cause binge eating. Also please note that when you drink the alcohol takes priority in metabolism and its converted to sugar, so eat extra sensibly when you're drinking.
  • errbear315
    Options
    One night a week can't hurt your weight loss. If you can promise not to snack when drinking, you should be fine. Just go a little a little lighter on your meals during the day as well to help curb the extra caloric intake. Doing both of these should help minimize/eliminate any real chance of derailing your diet.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to wines and grain alcohols straight-up. *cough* not that I do this often.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    I stopped boozing and I began losing haha
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So how does alcohol affect weight loss? I haven't drank since I started my diet/lifestyle change but am under some stress and just feel like a drink or a few to calm my nerves.

Remember alcohol is also a calorie, it's registered as 7-calories per gram. Just like any other calorie from fat/carbs/protein, alcohol is the same. But derives from sugar nonetheless which is a carb. You don't have to eliminate alcohol, just drink it in moderation and make sure that the calories in the alcohol you choose to consume is within the calorie allowance per day. Don't have to give it up, just be mindful of how much your consuming of it.

If someone is an alcoholic, and trying to quit, that's another subject we can talk about.

I drink booze, and still continue to lose. Why? Because I still monitor how much I consume of it and make sure it fits within my macros and calorie allowance for the day.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I actually created a meal title called "alcohol." i like wine and have a glass or two a few days a week. The calories add up quick though; big incentive not to imbibe.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    When I drink - I log it.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking until I got very close to my goal weight. Now my rule is to drink once a week, usually on Saturday nights, and count the calories. I really have to focus on not munching while drinking, or I save even more calories for popcorn or something. Maybe get an extra workout that day I work out. Just make sure you count the calories, like everyone else has said! Just maybe once a week.....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i lot of good advice here. definetly log it in. you may be surprised to learn just how much calories are in your favorite drink. a few aren't bad, but over indulgance is bad, no matter what the drink or food is.

personally, i try not to have a drink at least an hour before bed, because it may slow down your metabolism and other bodily functions.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a Bud Light at this exact moment :). I pre-logged 3 of them.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I still drink alcohol but I log every ounce. As others have said, the calories can add up quickly, so if I have more than a couple of ounces (e.g., on the rock bourbon), I usually exercise enough to offset the alcohol calories, since having a 1/3 or 1/4 of one's calories on a given day come from alcohol and mixers is very easy to do otherwise, and won't provide many/any actual nutrients.

If you drink beer it's probably easier to calculate the amount that you've had since most bars have fairly standard tap sizes or, of course, bottles. However, if you drink mixed drinks it's going to be a lot harder unless you ahve an extremely reliable bartender (or a really miserly place) that actually measures each pour. Otherwise, you're going to be estimating how much you had, which is pretty imprecise. I usually order something like a cucumber-flavored vodka with seltzer and lime, an old fashioned diet press if I want a dark-drink, or bourbon on the rocks or cognac to sip. That way how much alcohol I've had and don't need to worry about the calories in the mixers.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have continued to drink as I have lost weight. Just log your calories. Making room for some empty calories in alcohol is no different than people who budget calories to allow for a slice of cake.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you all were right now I want to eat and drink more
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, it's fine in moderation.

If everything else is in check, an occasional drink won't derail you.

this. i enjoy a beer or two a week and it hasn't hurt me.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    i drink rather frequently and have been doing fine