Cooking different foods....

Options
I have a butternut squash, Delicata Squash, and an acorn squash. I also have asparagus which I have not had done in a way I like it yet. It is usually too soggy. And steel cut oats. (I have never had the any of the squash or steel cut oats before. Just trying to add variety and try new things) Does anyone have any good ways to prepare any of these things?

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Grill the asparagus (a minute or two is all it takes).
  • MidwestGirlz
    MidwestGirlz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Asparagus drizzled with olive oil and roasted in the oven until crunchy is DELISH!!!
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a butternut squash, Delicata Squash, and an acorn squash. I also have asparagus which I have not had done in a way I like it yet. It is usually too soggy. And steel cut oats. (I have never had the any of the squash or steel cut oats before. Just trying to add variety and try new things) Does anyone have any good ways to prepare any of these things?

I can only think of is roasting the variety of squashes in the oven. Until they become soft and have the consistency of like mash potatoes. And you can basically make it into anything from there. Along with asparagus, roasting in the oven with your choice of oil.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    A super simple one for acorn squash that I like is... cut the squash in half, and scoop out the guts. Spread a little butter on it and top with cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until soft.

It is also nice to use acorn or butternut (I've never had delicata) as a bowl for soups and chilies. Just cut, scoop and bake or broil until soft enough to eat. Pour your chili into the part you've scooped out and enjoy. Take a forkfull of squash with each bite.

My favorite recipe website is Tast of Home and they have tons of recipes for each...

acorn - http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/FacetSearchResults.aspx?search=acorn+squash&st=2&vw=1&page=1&rs=10&sort=1

butternut - http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/FacetSearchResults.aspx?search=butternut+squash&st=2&vw=1&page=1&rs=10&sort=1

asparagus - http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/FacetSearchResults.aspx?search=asparagus&st=2&vw=1&page=1&rs=10&sort=1
    Love the spicy asparagus on page 3 as a super easy and quick side
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I prepare my asparagus by standing it up in a small pot with water in it and boiling only the ends. I like my asparagus very un-soggy and to remain as green as possible. Boil the ends for as long as what would have made them soggy if you'd boiled them whole, just to make the ends edible. Just put a tie/rubberband/something around the upper parts to keep them in a standing position.

I usually just salt, pepper and butter them, but I've had them drizzled with balsamic vinegar and served cool. They were phenomenal.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Butternut squash makes incredible, healthy soup. Look for recipes with curry or other indian spices, delicious!! Asparagus is best blanched, shocked, and grilled. Just boil it for a few seconds until it turns bright bright green, then quickly drop into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Then grilled until it gets marks, no longer. It'll stay crisp, bright, and flavorful. My husband was a chef- he knows all the secrets!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    We eat asparagus all the time. Here's how I do mine:

Preheat oven to 450.
    Snap the end of the asparagus and toss with olive oil, sea salt and garlic. I use my hands.
    Arrange on a pan and bake for about 10 minutes.

I also do them steamed sometimes. Here's how I do them.
    Snap the ends and cut the asparagus into 1 1/2" lengths. Put in a steaming basket. Heat your water and blanch the asparagus (for like 1-3 minutes).
    Heat some olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and onion to the oil once heated and sautee until the garlic is tender. Add the asparagus cuts and toss lightly. Serve.

Acorn squash:
    Cut it in half and put 1 tbsp of sugar free syrup in each side. Bake at 425 until done.

Butternut squash:
    Cut into 1/4" chunks. Toss with 2 tbsp of syrup and some sage. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes.

That's all I got.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I steam my asparagus and pour a serving of Mock Hollandaise Sauce over it. Mmmm
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    For steel cut oats I use 1/3 cup Oats (cooked on the stove with half water, half almond milk) with ½ banana & sliced strawberries, served with a dash of cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar .. YUM!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to learn to eat squash too, but so far only have baked it and eaten it plain or pureed it into a soup.

asparagus, it's really easy to overcook. just toss them in some olive oil, salt and pepper and throw in the oven and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese (fresh) on it. bake for about 10 minutes and it's still crispy!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I had seen lots of ideas online, but like to get opinions from those who have tried the things and actually have opinions on how they think it is best.

You'll are great!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! Heat soy milk, sir constantly until it boils. Add the oats, sir constantly until it boils. I then add mixed frozen fruit, stir, lower heat to low & cover with a lid. Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes.

I cook asparagus in olive oil. (I buy extra, I cut it & freeze it) I add a pinch of sea salt. Cook on med with a lid for about 15 minutes or so, stir occasionally.

Good luck!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I made some delicata squash yesterday and they turned out really yummy and low cal. I halved the squash, baked them covered for about 20 minutes, then added the following mixture:

shredded chicken
    blue cheese
    chopped cauliflower
    celery
    raisins
    salt and pepper

I would definitely recommend it. A serving, with my quantities, was about 225 calories. Not bad for dinner!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bump