Working out 7 days a week

Options
I was working out at the gym 7 days a week but I keep hearing that it isn't good to work out every day and I should be taking days off. So I have scaled back to 3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 1 off but every time I miss a day at the gym I am so unmotivated to go the next day. I want to go 7 days a week. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Replies

• RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    You should never work out with weights (same body part) two days in a row! And you NEED a rest day for your body to recover. On your rest days, maybe just go for a nice walk so you stay motivated!
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    I think you need to do what works best for you... I always tell people that for me scheduling my workouts, actually writing them down on my calendar at a specific time, is what works for me. I think you do need a rest day, but having your workout on a calendar and considering it non-negotiable may help with the motivation.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You definitely should be taking rest days because your body needs to have recovery days...Never work the same body parts every day either..

Cardio,Arms, shoulders one day....Cardio,back and chest the next day...take a rest day from weights but do cardio...etc....
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I work out every day, but I vary my exercises. Twice a week, I do 2 hours of Tai Chi. Twice a week I swim laps for an hour and do 45 minutes of acqua fit. The other days, I walk the dogs, or if the weather is bad, I get on my treadmill and walk a rolling hills program at 4 km/hour for 90 min. This keeps my heart pumping, and because I am constantly changing what I do, I am not overworking the same muscle group. I also sometimes vary the routine with an exercise video, or get on my exercycle when I'm watching TV. I want to take off that weight, and so far this routine is working for me.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're doing. It's perfectly safe to walk every day, so I don't see why you couldn't be doing thta at a gym. What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can go everyday if you want, just do some light cardio for like 2 of the days, maybe just walking on a treadmill. Then you won't exhaust yourself. =) It's good to take a day off from vigorous exercise though!
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    just do different stuff. I have the same problem, if I take a day off I become a slug.

so, if you work on arms one day, do legs the next. give each muscle group at least a day of rest. when I was being much more reliable (!) I did weights 4 days a week, in a row, but a different muscle set for each day. say, arms day 1, legs day 2, abs/chest day 3, and back day 4. then I only got to each muscle group one day a week, but it worked well for me. the other three days I tried to ride my bike (summer) and ski (winter).

nowadays I do everything every time, but I give myself at least 48 hours between workouts, and fill the time in between with cardio.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    I definitely think rest days are worth it, but sometimes, I have a hard time with them because I get this feeling like I *should* be doing at least something. Then, there are other days where the rest day is gladly welcomed. I think it's really up to you and your body. If you know it's hard for you to get motivated after a rest day, then just have a 'take it easy' day instead, where you go for a nice walk instead of really pushing yourself. That way you stay in the habit but you aren't overworking yourself either.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    If 7 days works for you.... GO for it!

Rest is good for you muscles to repair and rebuild but alternate upper body/ lower body / cardio. Although Abs can be worked everyday!

Good luck, wish I were as motivated as you :)
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I rotate my lifting, I try to go everyday, but usually will have a few days with only cardio, I think it is good to have a 'rest 'day every so often. Nothing wrong with going everyday though. I have been doing it for 9 months, no injuries, I feel good..

I think if you are doing extreme power lifting - you would lift 3 times a week, but there are many other exercises to keep you occupied on the other days... I feel like I have more energy after working out!
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    What I tend to do is 50 min of cardio every day and strength train 2-3 times a week
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What I tend to do is 50 min of cardio every day and strength train 2-3 times a week

Sounds perfect to me!
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert in the least but here is what has been taught to me: Muscle building is actually causing "micro-tears" to the muscles. Your body needs time to repair these tears which is why it is suggested to not work out the same muscle area every day of the week. I think I saw someone suggest alternating which muscle group you work out each day. That was what my husband and I did when we had a gym membership and the trainer suggested it. If you prefer to do the entire circuit in one day maybe consider doing prolonged cardio the days you are letting your muscles repair. I have never heard anyone say cardio everyday is bad and I'm pretty sure you are supposed to do cardio daily anyways.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was working out at the gym 7 days a week but I keep hearing that it isn't good to work out every day and I should be taking days off. So I have scaled back to 3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 1 off but every time I miss a day at the gym I am so unmotivated to go the next day. I want to go 7 days a week. What is everyone's opinion on this?

It all depends on the intensity of your exercises. Does it involve strenuous muscle exercises, or just body weight or cardio exercises? If your doing weights, I would suggest a rest day 1-2x a week. To allow your body to recover, rebuild and replenish. If it's just cardio, and body weight. You can surely do 7x a week if your having sufficient sleep 6+ hours, eating the proper amounts of macros per day and calories. Then you shouldn't be worried about over-training. Even if you miss one day, don't lose sleep over it. 1-2 days missed is not going to hinder your progress. Just make sure you monitor your calorie consumption and you will be fine. Good luck!
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

This is fine!
    You don't need a rest day from 50 mins of cardio and you're already resting your muscles from your strength training.
  • speer34
    Options
    Its pk to work out 7 days a week. You'll probably need a licensed trainer to help set up your program though. Any one who says you shouldn't probably doesn't have a good handle on how to resistance train. As for doing the same exercise more than 1happy day in a row being bad for you is bad, once again doesn't have a handle on resistance training. The most effiecient way to loose wieght is resistance training. Anyone saying anything else is once again doesn't have a handle on resistance training. All these things should be umder the supervision of a certified fitness instructor to ensure proper programing and safety. If your trainer is telling other things than this you should fire them and hire someone worth thier salt.