Calling all men who can cook!

Options
2»

Replies

• hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    When I got my first apartment, my parents bought me a set of pots and pans, a kitchen knife, and a cookbook of easy meals. After that, it was trial and error, but mostly sticking to stir fry type dishes. When I was married, I mostly worked from home so I was responsible for most meals. I pick up ideas of what to do from watching Food Network or the Cooking Channel.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I always said i am going to find a guy who can cook so i dont have too.....

i found myself a chef :p
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Mom taught me to cook... guess I asked too many times what's for dinner? :ohwell: My brothers and I each cooked one meal a week for the family to give Mom a few nights off a week.

Eventually I learned to like to cook and started working in restaurants when I was 15. Worked thru a few, learned some of the chef's secrets at each and now can cook pretty much anything ranging from Italian, Chinese, Indian to plain old steaks, ribs and chicken.

I've won awards for my Chili in cookoff's and am told my BBQ sauce is to die for (what diet pepsi in BBQ sauce? ... you're kidding right :tongue: ).

BTW -> the kitchen is far from the female's domain... my exwife really did start a fire in the kitchen while boiling water! She could make the finest and freshest ingredients taste horrible without trying. :embarassed:
  • lturk11
    Options
    chocolate and peppers make a good mole sauce
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If he likes science/chemistry, you can get him interested by having him watch Good Eats. It's like Mr. Wizard (or Bill Nye for you younger people) for food.

Alternatively just hold out on him unless he makes at least one attempt a week. By attempt, I mean a full meal, not grilling some meat, throwing a bun on it and calling burgers a meal.

Personally both my parents liked to cook, so I spent a lot of time in the kitchen growing up. We were always trying new recipes. Eventually I just started making up stuff to see if it would work. Good Eats helped me further understand the why behind cooking, which has allowed me to come up with more combinations that work than I originally had done.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I was the oldest of 5 kids. We were poor. When my Mom had to start working later hours, I was 12. Started survival cooking for my brothers and sisters. Joined the Marines and ended up in Okinawa, where I got to travel to the Phillipines, Thailand, Japan and a few other places. Learned there was more to cooking than Ground Beef, canned Salmon and Potatoes.

Came back in 1975 and have been cooking (experimenting) ever since.

Always been the primary cook. Love cooking. Have been enterring contests since 1987. Won for Chili, BBQ, Raspberry Jalapeno Sauce (3 X) and Jack Daniel's Chocolate Pecan Pie (2 X).

Retiring in about 5 years and moving to Vegas to go to culinary school.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Poor kid from a single parent household where mom went out or worked or whatever she did at night from me being about the age of 8 forward. I started cooking the basics (hot dogs and mac and cheese) and expanded. I realized that women like a guy who could cook so I got better at it. I also did some specialty catering in Chicago for a while all desserts. Mostly cheesecakes. Yes I can bake, quite well actually. Either from a box or from scratch. And I can cook damn near anything you put in front of me. If I have a recipe or just a list of ingredients. And yes, I am single. lol
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot from watching my Mom cook when I was little and then I began pestering her to let me cook something. When I got a little older and was still livng at home Mom would then ask me to cook dinner.

Now I experiment a lot and see how it turns or I look for recipes online an try them when I want something new.

This coming weekend is a good example of how I learn to cook new things, my GF and I are having a Halloween party at my house and I told everyone I would prepart pulled pork BBQ.

They don't know this but i've never made pulled pork BBQ :happy:

If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know.