What Should You Bring with You to a Half-Marathon?

Options
I scrolled through 9 pages of threads...and didn't see this...so maybe it's been awhile and could stand to be discussed again.

To all you seasoned runners and marathoners out there...

I run my first half-marathon in 12 days. What should I bring with me? I want to hang out afterwards for the after-party...

(I'm not talking about bandanas, gels, iPods, etc...I got the actual RUNNING gear down...what do I need for AFTER the race?)

I sweat like crazy when I run...literally peeling my clothes off because it's like I jumped in a pool...so I already figure I'm bringing a change of clothes. But is that even realistic? Will there be a place to change?

What else?

Thank you!!

Replies

• Srbrosseau
    Srbrosseau Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would bring a couple bottles of Gatorade/Gu electrolyte brew or other electrolyte replacement. Also, a clif bar or granola bar, a banana, and some type of protein supplement (25g should be enough; more is ok).

That's roughly what I eat after a 20 mile run; that should get your blood sugar back up, replace salt, and give protein to your muscles.

I'm a heavy sweater too!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    somethin 2 eat. towel, change of clothes. VERY comfortable shoes. chocolate milk!!! while runnin u may wanna take a tylenol when u get 2 mile 6-7. that way u won't b that sore after the run.

hope this helps!! :flowerforyou:

if u have any questions just mail me. i've done 3half marathons myself :happy:
  • TOgal
    TOgal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can also use the gatorade bottles to pee into (wide opening), it's funny, many runners get a nervous bladder while waiting in the huge crowds in front of the start line and the toilets always have crazy long lines in front of them. I've seen Kenyan runners do this too :)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes are wonders for a quick clean-up.

I don't worry as much about the bottom as I do the top. If you're totally drenched all the way through, then I'd bring another bra and a hoodie - but I tend to cool off pretty quickly after I run, so if it's below around 75 degrees I'm bringing the hoodie. Some races provide changing stations, others it's the porta-potties or wherever you can find. In the case of wherever you can find, you might have to be in sports bra for a moment, pull on the hoodie but don't put on the sleeves, and change the bra under the hoodie.

In terms of the mentioned foods, I would find out if they are going to provide post-race food. Most I've experienced will have something (bagels and/or fruit along with water and sports drink) for the runners in the post-run area. Unless it's something I absolutely refuse to eat, I'll do that rather than bring my own post-race food. Exception for me being chocolate milk which gets foil-wrapped with an ice pack. I love chocolate milk post run and have yet to see a race offer it.

Of course I don't usually hang around after a race (the point is? I really don't get it...I've done what I came to do so why hang around?), so it's just about having enough to get me to Starbucks (or brunch with friends) and then the subway home.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I didn't bring anything. They should have food and water for you. I just got my stuff and went back to my hotel (it was a Disney race).

Now, at the hotel I had BioFreeze and the P90X Results and Recovery Formula. Between those I was up and going again after a nice long nap.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest running shoes, probably some clothes to wear during the race (running naked is frowned on), and some sort of weapon to help you get through the massive crunch at the beginning of the race. I prefer a nerf bat since it doesn't leave lasting injury.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A towel & weather appropriate change of clothes. Extra shoes or sandals. And depending if they have post race eats, extra sports drink & food.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    My first half I didn't take anything for afterwards. They provide chocolate milk, food, etc.
    My second half I had hubby carry a bag (since he wasn't running it with me) and it had my flip flops and a change of clothes.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Change of clothes which can be checked in.

Comfortable footwear.

Baby wipes to clean up with... helps wipe away the stinky, sweaty feel.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    can't be said enough
    an extra pair of shoes and some dry clothes
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bring some support - Honestly, there's nothing that makes my post-race "de-compression" easier than having my support system there to help carry my water/phone/fuel belt/post-race food and all that other junk while I stretch, peel off any layers, and to just help me with any basics. It may seem silly but having someone else there to navigate the crowds, get you water, and help you negotiate your way through the post-race craziness (esp at big events and after your first big race) is really, really helpful. Races can be overwhelming with all the other emotions going on - having a "rock" to ground me has always been very helpful.

It's a really great moment and it's so much better when you get to share it with people who can see how hard you've worked and who are truly proud of you and thrilled to see you meet your goals. Besides, 13.1 miles is a lot of people watching time and you'll have tons of great gossip to share with someone! :laugh:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have brought a ziplock bag with three washclothes...One soapy one that is in separate baggie inside the big one..and two that are just wet..then if it is hot I put in some ice cubes too...if it isn't hot I get them as hot as I can before putting them in the ziplock bag...I always bring a change of clothes and have been known to change in the car, behind a tree etc...I can not stay sweaty and damp as I get ridiculously cold really easily and being dry is the ticket for me. I load up a backpack with my change of clothes, supportive but comfy flip flops (I have some fit flops) and my wash clothes...I will slip my lean wallet (id and debit card and 20 ish bucks) in the bag as well in case the occasion arises to buy some food/beer etc...
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I'd suggest running shoes, probably some clothes to wear during the race (running naked is frowned on), and some sort of weapon to help you get through the massive crunch at the beginning of the race. I prefer a nerf bat since it doesn't leave lasting injury.

That made my day...Nerf Bat totally getting strapped to my Fuel Belt...
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I can't wait!!