What can I add to Slim Fast to fill me up?

Options
i am substituting slim fast in place of a traditional lunch, and I wanted to know if there is anything I can add to it so that I will feel more full. I have heard of whey protein, but I don't think that is appropriate for me. Any ideas?

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    YES, whey protein is a much better meal replacement. Slim Fast is full of sugar and has very little protein and it is protein that keeps you fuller longer.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    some sort of food.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you add something to slim-fast, it then becomes a weight-gaining supplement. In the hospital I work at, we give slim-fast and vegetables to people who need to gain weight (AIDS patients, cancer patients, etc.).

My younger brother couldn't put weight on when he was a child, and the doctors then also recommended he drink a slim-fast with a normal meal.

Moral of the story: Slim-Fast + Food = weight GAIN.

My advice? Skip the slim-fast, and just eat a well-balanced meal.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I dont think slim fast makes u full...Everytime I drink the protein I am hungry in 2 hours
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I would defnately supplement it with a traditional lunch. Unless you enjoy starving.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    some sort of food.

Must agree with this, I was going to say a sandwich.

Sorry, I just find the whole idea of replacing food with chemical and sugars to be odd.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    some sort of food.

well said , no short cuts when it comes to your health and weight

:smile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice...
  • jessimica_b2
    jessimica_b2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    YES, whey protein is a much better meal replacement. Slim Fast is full of sugar and has very little protein and it is protein that keeps you fuller longer.

soooooooooo true!!

two scoops of protein in 800 mL of water (or ~16oz) tastes surprisingly good (one scoop tastes really chalky)

I like isofemme - formulated for women, but it's not high quality protein like whey isolate, it's just soy protein isolate. Which works fine, becaue im not a body builder ;)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    If you add something to slim-fast, it then becomes a weight-gaining supplement. In the hospital I work at, we give slim-fast and vegetables to people who need to gain weight (AIDS patients, cancer patients, etc.).

My younger brother couldn't put weight on when he was a child, and the doctors then also recommended he drink a slim-fast with a normal meal.

Moral of the story: Slim-Fast + Food = weight GAIN.

Agree, Sorry sweety but you would be better off kicking the slim fast and eating a nutritious lunch. :)
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I found that SlimFast not only didn't help me lose weight, but made me feel more hungry than I would have if I had eaten the same number of calories of real food. The sugar is ridiculous, and leaves you with a fantastic afternoon crash.

Try instead to learn how to eat balanced, portion-controlled meals four to six times per day within your calorie goal, and you'll do much better.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Slimfast makes me moody - I need no extra help there...:explode:
    Eat food, your body will be very happy with you.
  • Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have a sandwich with ham or cheese and loads of salad.. Drink a few glasses of water before and you will feel full and it'll only be about 400 cals (if you use low fat cheese and marg). You could always have a fat free yoghurt afterwards or a rice cake?
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    some sort of food.
    This ^^^ Just don't use it as your beverage.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Don't add to slim fast, actually dont use slim fast at all. There are far superior products out there, including real food. Let's break it down, for 190 calroies you can have a slim fast with 10 g of protein and aside from 18 g of sugar and some added vitamins and minerals, add to it my protein powder for example and you've upped your calories to 250 with 22 g of protein.

Or you can have ground turkey tacos and a multiviatmin
    99% lean Ground turkey, 4 oz: 120 calories 27g of fat
    1 cup spinach (like 6 c)
    2 x 4.5 inch corn tortillas (90 c)
    salsa 2 TBSP 10 c
    sprinkling of 2% cheddar
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had much success on the former Slim-Fast Optima program. With that one you ate food along with your shake or meal bar for lunch or supper. I lost consistently. I have kept the weight off for almost 4 years now. I left SF when they started the 3.2.1 program because I felt it was not a good way to lose weight or maintain weight loss anymore (very different from their old way of thinking). I think I would starve on the current program.
    With the Optima I had a hard time eating everything in my day's menu, but the SF dieticians said to try to eat as much as I could. I was always satisfied when I was on this program.
    I would add a 1/2 sandwich (ex. 2 oz. turkey breast, 1 tsp. low fat or fat free mayo, lettuce, tomato along with a shake or meal bar) or grilled chicken breast or turkey breast salad. I would also add a serving of fruit to this. I always aimed for 200 calories at breakfast, 400 calories for lunch and 500 cal. for supper, with 3 snacks in between. Depending on how much weight you have to lose for your height and current weight and how active you are, the calories and nutrients you need everyday vary widely. I have alot of my old SF menus from that program along with some good recipes. Altho, you can go to Ali at SF and request some of the old recipes from the Optima program. Good luck!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to drink my calories - at least not on a regular basis, but you could easily add a banana to chocolate SF or other berries to some of the other flavors.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Go back to eating real food.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I GAINED weight on slim fast. I NEVER felt full and I would often eat lots later... plus tons of sugar, not good for insulin, etc. If you need want a meal replacement.. I know its a bit more expensive.. but shakelogy is GREAT. (Chocolate.. the green one is nasty)
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am also doing slim fast.... i have the shake for breakfast and I have an equate meal bar at lunch... and I have healthy snacks during the day along with my dinner with the family.

is it really bad? am I hurting my plan to loose weight??

I am confused now...