creatine and kidney failure

Options
does anyone know if creatine can elevate creatinine levels in your blood? I got blood work done and my creatinine levels are high which is an indicator of kidney failure (I know my kidneys probably aren't failing and its only been one test). creatinine levels can also be higher if you have more muscle so it could be that but there's creatine in my preworkout supplement so I wanna know if they go together so I can stop taking the supplement if I need to. I drink a ton of water so I'm kinda concerned as to why my levels would be high if they don't go hand in hand...

Replies

• mdmarcha
    Options
    does anyone know if creatine can elevate creatinine levels in your blood? I got blood work done and my creatinine levels are high which is an indicator of kidney failure (I know my kidneys probably aren't failing and its only been one test). creatinine levels can also be higher if you have more muscle so it could be that but there's creatine in my preworkout supplement so I wanna know if they go together so I can stop taking the supplement if I need to. I drink a ton of water so I'm kinda concerned as to why my levels would be high if they don't go hand in hand...

As your doctor will explain, you are fine. Your creatinine levels are higher because you supplement creatine. creatinine is simply the product of breaking down creatine. If you didn't supplement creatine and/or have a high protein diet, that's be cause for concern.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey! Bodybuilding.com has a great page on Creatine,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne22.htm

hope that helps!
  • krystico
    krystico Posts: 104
    Options
    Get your bloodwork done again. My mom had a kidney/pancreas transplant 7 years ago. Unfortunately, it's "normal" to have a bad test (high levels). She gets a phonecall from the doc to have the bloodwork done again - and she's fine.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Taking creatine doesn't harm kidneys. It also is debatable if it's a good supplement in the first place.
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    "Creatinine
    Creatinine is actually a breakdown product of creatine, which is made by the liver and transported to your muscles. The kidneys excrete the waste product creatinine, and when your kidneys are damaged, creatinine levels rise. When the liver stops functioning in end-stage liver disease, this can cause serious kidney problems as well. This test is one of the three used to determine your wait time for a liver transplant."
    (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/looking-at-liver-function-bloodwork.html)

So maybe its because you consume extra creatine that you have more creatinine excreted, so it must be from your supplements! I must confess I dont know much about this but I heard that creatine supplements can harm the liver and cause heart faillure, so be carefull!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    thanks all! I don't take creatine for any specific reason and its not much...its one of the ingredients in my supplement and its something I could do without...I have an appointment in a few weeks to get my blood retested so I guess we'll see what happens!