Thoughts on sprints?

Options
I've read that sprinting on the treadmill for a minute then taking a 30 second-1 minute break and repeating can help burn more calories than just running for 15 minutes straight... Does anybody happen to have any experience or information on this? Usually if I'm running I like to just go and get it done, not stop a million times lol

Replies

• gingerdarling
    Options
    I've heard the same thing, and am down with sprints...but I usually stay at a good steady pace, then sprint for 30 seconds, then back to my regular pace - like not coming to a dead stop after the sprint. Helps me up the cardio and burns some killer calories!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    When you do sprints you don't have to stop running completely during the "breaks." I jog in between the sprints. I don't know if it burns more or less calories than straight running.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Add a little incline too!

I do this type of workout at least 1-2 times per week. I don't know about the total extra calories burned but speed intervals have helped my overall running pace and that's a good thing!
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Awesome thank you for the tips and advice!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've read that sprinting on the treadmill for a minute then taking a 30 second-1 minute break and repeating can help burn more calories than just running for 15 minutes straight... Does anybody happen to have any experience or information on this? Usually if I'm running I like to just go and get it done, not stop a million times lol
    It's called HIIT training and is one of the best ways to boost your resting metabolic rate. You burn more fat at rest than even doing a treadmill run for 15 mins.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I find tabata sprints really effective, but make sure you do a good 20 minute jog to warm up, otherwise you can strain a muscle. Here's an article with a video clip (scroll past the caveman stuff, lol):
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/

I also do this version for a little variety sometimes, although it doesn't knock me on my *kitten* quite like the sprints do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimPOSXe7n4

Really, the best thing to do is decide what your #1 objective is (boost metabolism, burn calories, increase stamina/endurance, boost recovery speed, increase overall distance/speed, etc.) and search an interval specifically for that goal. Most intervals will do all those things, but different ratios of time and speed target different results. Generally, if you want a metabolism booster, stick to high intensity intervals (things that push you to your max for shorter periods of time).

Good luck!