So the BodyBugg definitely works

Options
I had my Basal Metabolic Rate tested a few years ago. It's appallingly low. I do wear a BodyBugg every day to help track my exercise level, intensity, length, steps, etc. Even working out in excess of 2 hours per day, I rarely burn over 2000 in a day. That hour usually includes running, high-intensity aerobics, elliptical, and horseback riding. I run a minimum of 25 miles per week.

I let a friend borrow my BodyBugg, because he was curious about his burn. He's a powerlifter, little excess fat, and a lot of muscle. Think 240 pounds, lean, on a 5'11" frame. He burns more calories per minute when he is at rest than when I am running at max capacity. You can see a huge spike in the timeline where I pulled it off my arm and he put it on his.

It's insane. And I'm jealous that I have to work that much harder, and eat that much less, than another person. But it was good to see that the device works, and it doesn't just dump out the same info regardless of the person wearing it.

Replies

• neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    thats good to know, thanks
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    how do you get your BMR checked???
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think those things are so cool! Maybe you should alternate cardio and wieghts so your muscles will burn more at rest too.:smile:
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump

Interested to know! & hear this discussion! No insight though sorry!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    how do you get your BMR checked???

You can check your BMR on here. Go to 'tools' at the top.
  • lydaugherty87
    Options
    I LOVE the bodybugg! Here's an old screenshot I took of it.

33807_474772798093_501328093_5537584_6173267_n.jpg
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've used the BMR formula, but it varies. I wanted to know if there was a more scientific, individual approach to having your BMR calculated?

Thank you for the suggestion, though.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Is that the arm band device worn by those on Biggest Loser?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The BMR calculation is useless, if your body is at all atypical. It's just an average. You need a real test by a medical professional. The test I had was performed very early in the morning, before eating, before any actual exercise. You get the best results if you do it immediately upon waking, but I can't sleep at the doctors' office.

Here's a brief overview of what is done: http://www.kaminifonseca.com/html/faq.html
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Is that the arm band device worn by those on Biggest Loser?

Yes.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I wore a body bugg for 6 months and definately learned a lot, but also gained all the information I needed to in that month.

For myself, I am 5'8", 155-ish pounds, 22% bodyfat. I have a desk job and work out 4-6 times a week. On a day I didn't workout, just went to work and home, I would burn 1800 calories on average. Given an average 1 hour workout combining cardio and weights, my daily burn would be 2400 on average. I burned more on the weekends when I was moving at a steady rate all weekend, even if I didn't work out. The largest burn I had total was 4098....I was on a mission to hit 4000, it was so hard!!!

I tracked my food daily, always had a deficit....didn't lose much if any weight.

What I learned was 1) being active, in any way (dishes, cleaning, gardening, walking, shopping, dancing, playing, etc) is all moving and all adds up to more calories burned. I no longer felt guilty about skipping the gym on a Monday night, because I knew that the 3 hours I would spending cleaning and cooking and picking up the house would actually add up to the calories burned in my workout in an hour. That taking the stairs, parking at the back of the parking lot and doing dishes by hand really do make a difference 2) It isn't how much you eat, it is what you eat. I started to shead weight only when I changed what I was eating. I changed out low fat/sugar free foods for whole foods and clean foods. More lean meats, fruits and veggies. I stopped focusing on strictly calories and focused on eating real foods. I think when you get to a certain body fat percentage where you are healthy, food becomes more important that simply calories burned. 3) My HRM over estimated my calories burned during exercise, but did not account for the after burn. 4) MFP was rather accurate on my calories burned during exercise.

Overall, you can't find out the information without a body bugg. Unless you have lots of weight to loose, the initial 6 months is enough time to get all the information you can out of it. If doing it all over again, I would have looked for a used device and save on purchasing a new one. I sold mine on ebay, like many other people do. The body bugg did act as a good reminder of being active, taking steps and what you eat. There is no question on our calorie output, so you are only to blame on the calorie input. I found it easy to make healthy choices because you have something wrapped around your arm to be accountable!

Just my 2 cents!!!
  • lydaugherty87
    Options
    You are right on the money, HollyMac20
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    When I first started using it, my workout routine didn't vary ever. So I'd have an identical burn nearly every single day. Since May though, I added in running, and then the gym, and I've considerably upped the intensity of my riding, so I truly have a different burn daily. And I've lost more than 45 pounds, so I burn less than I did before, with the same effort expended. I fully intend to keep using it, since I do have different burns every day, and it helps motivate me, and keep me on track.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have a body media fit and love it. Found out I was undereating also (trying to gain then). Also found out that I generally burn as many cals on rest days as workout days because of non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT).
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I've been wanting a body bugg ever since I first heard of it a couple years ago. Now I may get a bit more serious.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    BM Fit user here as well.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have also found that little device needs to get to know you. Don't put it on just before a workout and expect an accurate reading. It really does know it's owner.

I love my GWF and rely on it heavily.

I also found I burn the most calories on days when I do intense housework. Multiple loads of laundry, scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming multiple rooms, etc. will leave me with a larger calorie deficit (by at least 1000 cal) than jogging 1 hour and doing nothing the rest of the day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I also found I burn the most calories on days when I do intense housework. Multiple loads of laundry, scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming multiple rooms, etc. will leave me with a larger calorie deficit (by at least 1000 cal) than jogging 1 hour and doing nothing the rest of the day.

So much for the "I don't log my cleaning calories" group :tongue: