Dads with sons......

Options

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    FYI, you all should teach daughters and maybe even wives how to change tires...

Ha, I taught my wife how to put air in her tires last week!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My son (14) wanted to learn to shave even though he doesn't need to yet. So I taught him. Not sure I taught him to do it correctly as I WAS NEVER TAUGHT! lol
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    My husband has our three year old helping with yardwork, typing words on the computer, and unloading the dishwasher after the knives are taken out, and fixing the riding lawnmower. I love overhearing all the learning moments. The newest accomplishment was peeing out in the bushes because they were too far away to run for the house. Up until yesterday, the little guy only sat down to pee, so this was all very fascinating for him. Lol very proud moment.
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    I'm not a dad but I've been the one to teach my sons how to be a gentleman to ladies, do minor things on a car, school them, cooking, woodworking, house maintenance, wash their own clothes, garden and yard maintenance, etc. Growing up I wanted to know and learn everything, so, I've had that job along side my dad when he was around of teaching my kids. I have 1 girl and I want her to know how to take care of herself also.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread!! :love: Great idea OP..and I'm particularly excited about the person who no longer lives under the table because of skills her Father taught her.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter and I intend to teach her all sorts of "boy" stuff if she wants.

She's 4 and already knows how to fish and caught a 4 pound bass on her own this summer. She likes to watch when I'm working on the car, so I pull up a step stool so she can watch and ask questions. The other day she told me she wants to drive a big truck when she gets big.

So, I look forward to teaching her whatever she'll let me.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Being a great dad is soo important! Whatever you do, they will want to do!!! My hubby teaches Derrick everything he can. Derrick plays soccer because Andy played. Andy is a great marksman, so he has taught D to be a pretty good shot. They used to sit and watch "Top Shots" together. he also taught him how to make a fire..so we'll see how that goes this winter!! :wink:

Enjoy it all! They grow up too fast!!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Mine is only 15 months old, but I'm looking forward to it when he gets older! Might even teach him to fly a plane or helicopter!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    How foolish of me to not include Dads & Daughters! My apologies. I was just thinking more along the line of passing down 'guy" knowledge, but formal skills training is important regardless of the gender of your child. :happy:
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My husband taught all my children how to ride their bikes and how to swim. He has taught the boys how to grill, and my 15-year-old does just as well as he does. He has taught them how to shoot guns and took our oldest moose hunting this year. They were successful. My daughter is learning some of his building skills. I love watching my kids spend time with him while he works. He has a great work ethic and they are slowly picking that up.
  • twistofcain
    Options
    I thought it would be fun to teach our son to ht off of a tee(he has one of the little tikes bat and tee sets). He got real good at it and then decided to swing for the fences and destroy our TV...it is not so cute anymore, haha.

Ok, so it still is. :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband is part of the King's Men group at our church that promotes men as leaders, providers and protectors. He went on retreat this year with this group and they camped, fished, shot bow and arrows, made things out of the wood they found in the campsite area, etc. ...all the kind of activities that men handed down to their sons years ago but maybe not so much nowadays. So they utilize each and every man's skill set to help other men learn a new skill. It was cool. He had a great experience.

Anyway, Gary has taught the boys (and our girls) to love the outdoors, camping, fishing, and running. He also has given them an appreciation for playing chess and the guitar. My dad has taught them how to fish, go crabbing, hiking and shoot a gun. I have taught all of my kids how to cook something that they like, to do the dishes, started teaching how to do their own laundry this summer and would like to teach them how to do some basic sewing if they ever need to mend something. The girls would like to make something. I haven't gotten to that yet. This winter might be a good time to start a sewing project.

My husband and I and the three older children are all involved in practicing Tae Kwon Do so that's something fun and exciting to learn together. I hope to teach TKD to other children (and adults) someday. :)
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I teach my son how to work on cars and houses. I teach him how to do yard work and house chores. I also teach these skills to my daughter...
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    My husband is part of the King's Men group at our church that promotes men as leaders, providers and protectors. He went on retreat this year with this group and they camped, fished, shot bow and arrows, made things out of the wood they found in the campsite area, etc. ...all the kind of activities that men handed down to their sons years ago but maybe not so much nowadays. So they utilize each and every man's skill set to help other men learn a new skill. It was cool. He had a great experience.

Anyway, Gary has taught the boys (and our girls) to love the outdoors, camping, fishing, and running. He also has given them an appreciation for playing chess and the guitar. My dad has taught them how to fish, go crabbing, hiking and shoot a gun. I have taught all of my kids how to cook something that they like, to do the dishes, started teaching how to do their own laundry this summer and would like to teach them how to do some basic sewing if they ever need to mend something. The girls would like to make something. I haven't gotten to that yet. This winter might be a good time to start a sewing project.

My husband and I and the three older children are all involved in practicing Tae Kwon Do so that's something fun and exciting to learn together. I hope to teach TKD to other children (and adults) someday. :)

That's awesome!!! I'm a firm believer of using our knowledge to prepare our children for the real world! We're doomed if we expect the schools and government to do it for us.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    We did everything with our kids when they were young. My husband is very mechanically inclined, and our son was at his heels all the time .. he grew up at his Dad's side. I often referred to him as his Dad's 'shaddow'. He not only learned how to do a lot of things, like how to fix things, but even how to interact and co-operate with people. They developed a very strong father - son bond because they spent so much time together .. We all did. My son even learned to cook and bake, could clean and perform a lot of household duties .. So he was well rounded when he became an adult and was able to take care of his own place and famly.

Same thing with our daugher .. she learned many skills growing up in a household where everyone pitched in. She not only learned to cook and clean , but should could shovel gravel, pile firewood, cut grass .. just about any chore .. She wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. If we were doing it .. so was she. As an adult, she even changes her own car tires!

Both "Kids" (who are adults now) are very independant and aren't afraid to tackle any task.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    These are great!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My son is 5...I have taught him the following non-sport skils:

Check the oil on the car
    Change the oil on the car (this was rather funny as oil went everywhere, but he did it AND cleaned it up!)
    Get the right wrench I ask for
    Change a light bulb
    Clear the toilet from a clog
    Use a leaf blower
  • ajm07
    ajm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My eldest is 3, which is a great age. He's really interested in everything.

The teaching is just as fun as you anticipate. Cooking, using a potty, kicking a ball - it's all great. You explain how to do it, show them, you see their eyes deep in thought as they try to do it. They are so smart.

Have fun.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i taught my boys how to fish (and yes, even how to hook the worm). it was supposed to be a father-son(s) activity but my husband got called away for work. we had a great time and i think my boys respect me a little more for being willing to 'get dirty' with them. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the dads here teaching their kids great things in life.

Don't forget to teach your daughters the cool "boy" stuff too!