Replies

• patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    Bump
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Do a search for weight watchers Cuban pork and sweet potaoes. Its a huge hit in my house. No one believes its a weight watchers recipe. And I normally hate sweet potatoes but these are so good!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Honestly, one of my faves, that is great on salad or in burritos/wraps. My kid loves it.

Costa Vida Chicken

1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp cumin
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    5 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast

Cook all together in a crock pot for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour.

This recipe can be easily halved but make a full batch and freeze the leftovers for another meal.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone say crockpots are unhealthy? This is what I put in my crockpot:
    Meat+veggies+herbs+salt & pepper+other spices. Sometimes liquid, like wine or stock. Seriously.
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When they are on sale, I will buy a whole roaster chicken...I use my favorite seasonings and herbs, quarter up a small to medium onion and place it in the cavity of the chicken, place it in the crock pot, squeeze a half of a lemon over it, place this lemon in the cavity after I squeeze it, put the lid on and turn it on low when I leave in the am for work (7ish) and it is so yummy and tender by the time I get home (5ish)...Then all you have to do is make side dishes...YUM!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If ONLY there were a way to search the forums for recipes. Rats!

I think we need to suggest a recipe section AND a search button....
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I must say though, I do want to try to experiment with crock potting boneless beef ribs with bbq sauce. Surely there's a way to do it. If pot roast can be crock potted, beef ribs can....unless you're one of those "Fear the fat" people, then I can't help you. Sorry.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Using a crock-pot doesn't make your food unhealthy. Putting unhealthy food in the crock pot makes it unhealthy."
    [/quote]

Bingo has been called, please hold your cards....

.....And that's a good Bingo!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone say crockpots are unhealthy? This is what I put in my crockpot:
    Meat+veggies+herbs+salt & pepper+other spices. Sometimes liquid, like wine or stock. Seriously.
    THANK YOU! I've been confused by this too. It's really the same with every food decision we make... use the crock pot recipe that is simple and healthy or use the recipe with gobs of cheese and sauces. Not hard at all.

I go home at lunch regularly and put in food into the crock pot, flip it to cook 2.5 to 3 hours, and then supper is at least 3/4 done when I'm home.

Typical:

Ground Chicken
    oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    basil
    seasoning salt to taste
    diced onions
    diced red bell pepper
    diced green pepper
    1 whold white mushroom sliced
    1 jar of Organic Spaghetti sauce (most recently I've made my own sauce and canned it)

Come home boil water and cook spaghetti noodles... voila healthy supper. Using ground chicken eliminates over half the fat and over half the calories as using ground beef.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I've also made several roasts via crock pot.

Step 1. Rub roast with salt and pepper, seasonings of choice (mine is Montreal Steak)
    Step 2. Put in Crock pot
    Step 3. about 1/2 cup water
    Step 4. Put lid on Crock pot
    Step 5. Turn to high for 3 hours.

Serve with steamed broccolli and Carrots.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This was great (from weelicious.com)

Crock Pot Tortilla Mexican Lasagna (Serves 8 )

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Large Onion, diced
    1 Garlic Clove, minced
    1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
    1 Tsp Ground Cumin
    1 Tsp Kosher Salt
    1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
    1 Large Egg, whisked
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream (I used Non-Fat, plain Greek yogurt)
    1 Cup Carrots, peeled and grated (about 2 carrots)
    1 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels, defrosted
    1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
    1 12 oz Pkg. Corn Tortillas (12 Tortillas)
    2 Cups Mexican Cheese Blend ( I used Reduced Fat Mex Blend)
    2 16 oz Jar Mild Chunky Salsa

1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
    2. Add the ground turkey meat, cumin, salt and chili powder and cook for 6-7 minutes until cooked through. Place turkey mixture aside and cool.
    3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sour cream together. Add the cooled turkey mixture, carrots, corn and cilantro and mix to combine.
    4. Spread a 1 cup of salsa on the bottom of the crock pot.
    5. Layer 5 tortillas on top of the salsa, cutting them if necessary to fit the crock pot and covering the salsa completely.
    6. Place half the turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with 1 cups of salsa and 1/2 cup of cheese.
    7. Add another layer of 3 tortillas on top of the cheese. Pour the remaining turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with another 1/2 cup of cheese.
    8. Top the lasagna with another layer of tortillas, pour the remaining salsa on top and cover with 1 cup of cheese.
    9. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
    10. Serve.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    bump
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make up my recipes as I go, I find its hard to go wrong with a crock pot as it cooks things for you. I often just throw in what I feel I would like to eat that night, so it can be just about anything. Usually I start with a meat or bean base and add in things as I go. So some things I have made in the past

chicken breasts (frozen)
    squash
    cilantro
    basil
    carrots
    onions
    garlic
    pinch or two of salt

Its a simple dish with nothing but healthy ingredients that I just threw into the crock pot and it lasted me days.

Beef Roast Or steaks (steaks are better for portion control)
    garlic
    onions
    tomatoes
    pinto beans
    pinch or two of salt
    basil

Another one of just veggies/meat thrown together in a pot without sauces or pastas to add lots of empty carbs or calories.

I plan to experiment with some fish tonight, I will see how it goes.
  • epayne75
    epayne75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am aware that the crock pot in and of itself is not unhealthy. My point was that many of the recipes for crock pots have unhealthy ingredients. I was merely asking those with healthy crock pot recipes to share them. Which many did and I appreciate.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has some as well as skinnycrockpot.com
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Crock potting fits my lifestyle (single mom to 2 children, working full time and part-time) but is so often unhealthy. Any great recipes that are healthy and kid-friendly?

Thank you!

Using a crock-pot doesn't make your food unhealthy. Putting unhealthy food in the crock pot makes it unhealthy.

This! I love using my crock pot because it's easy, fast and always leaves lots of flavor. It's all about what you want out of a meal. I slow cook chicken, pork, beef etc and you don't need a lot of fat to cook in one and you can always add tons of veggies.
  • AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    wow...I am right there with you!! I am bumping this...and I hope you get lots of GOOD and HEALTHY recipes!!!

Ditto! :)

Yep! Same thing here!
  • Italianant
    Italianant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump