How to eat acorn squash?

Options
I have one here and would love to know how to eat that and spegetti squash.

Replies

• kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use to cut it in half, take out the seeds then put in butter, brown sugar and then sprinkle it with cinnamon. Then grill it for about 45 minutes. Now that I am on here I will have to cut down on the butter and the sugar. When you cut it in half go from stem to the bottom not across the middle.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Go spicy!

cut it up (clean out the seeds) sprinkle with TBS of oil and Cajun Seasoning at 425 until fork tender.

Then enjoy!

Sry no clue on the spag squash.
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cut in half and scoop out the inside so it's like two bowls.
    microwave for 10-15 minutes until soft, adding water or broth as needed.
    meanwhile, chop and sautee onions, bell peppers, and spinach.
    add pre-cooked rice to veggie mix so it gets a little crispy, if desired. you could also add an egg here.
    when the squash is done, mound veggie mix in the bowl part, sprinkle with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and parmesan cheese, and broil until top is crispy.
    dinner!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, clean out the seeds. Place face down on cookie sheet & pierce several times. Bake 30 mins at 350. Meanwhile, dice apple, and toss with melted coconut oil (or butter) and walnuts and cinnamon. Place apple mixture into squash and bake another 15-20 mins.

spaghetti squash-- split squash in half and carefully clean out seeds. Place face down on cookie sheet and pierce several times. Place in oven 30 mins on 350. When cool enough to handle, string out spaghetti strands into large bowl and serve with marinara & meatballs
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is AMAZING -- I'm a college student with no time, so I tend to cook mine in the microwave.

Cut the squash in Half, and scoop out all the seeds and "pulp"

Rinse and lay face down on a microwave-safe plate.

Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes

LET SIT IN MICROWAVE for 5 Minutes

Use a fork to scrape out

Top with sauteed veggies and your favorite sauce!
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Acorn Squash--cut lengthwise, scoop out seeds, place face down on foil lined pan, bake at 350 for 50-60 min. scoop out insides and add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon--yummy.

Spaghetti Squash- all the same steps as acorn squash, just when you pull it out of the oven, scrap out with a fork (it will come out in strings--looks like spaghetti, hence the name). i like to make a tomato based sauce and pour over the spaghetti squash, and substitute the squash for spaghetti noodles.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash doesn't "spaghetti" for me, I guess I do it wrong.

But, Acorn squash is awesome- Wash, cut in half, if the seeds are big, scoop them out, Oven at 300 degree- put them on the cookie sheet cut side down, for 30 min. Take them out and sprinkle, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, or Balsmic vinegar... Pop in the oven with the cut sides down again, for another 15 minutes... they should be soft to the fork on the outside, that's how you know they are done... easy peasy, and around 135 calories, for 2 halves!!!
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    spaghetti squash is mt favorite! I stab it a bunch of times with a knife then microwave it for about 15 minutes, turning every 3-5 min., until slightly soft. Then, let it rest for a bit, carefully cut it open (watch out for the steam), scoop out seeds then scrape with a fork to make spaghetti like strands. I love it just like pasta: with pesto or marinara or veggies, etc. Acorn squash (or any winter/hard squash) can be cut long ways, seeds out, put cut side down in a pan with some water and baked until soft. Love them with butter and brown sugar or you can puree them and add to just about anything like mac and cheese or quesadillas, substitute it for pumpkin in pie. Yum!
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is AMAZING -- I'm a college student with no time, so I tend to cook mine in the microwave.

Cut the squash in Half, and scoop out all the seeds and "pulp"

Rinse and lay face down on a microwave-safe plate.

Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes

LET SIT IN MICROWAVE for 5 Minutes

Use a fork to scrape out

Top with sauteed veggies and your favorite sauce!

WINNER - Best solution for ease and time.

I use a little marinara sauce, 1/4 cup per half

You can do the same with acorn, I finish mine with a couple sprays of no cal butter
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For butternut squash (probably work for the others as well)
    Oven to 350°
    Cut in 1/2 lengthwise
    Scoop seeds/stringy parts out
    Line pan with foil
    Place cut sides down and add 1/4 c. water to the pan. Bake 1 hr. until a fork goes in easily. I like to add a little butter/marg. and salt.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just made some last night and it was *delicious* - first time I ever cooked it! Have leftovers for lunch today. Can't wait!

I found the original recipe that inspired this dish on the Martha Stewart site here: http://www.marthastewart.com/314820/wild-rice-stuffed-squash?czone=food/produce-guide-cnt/produce-guide-fall

I cut in half, scooped out seeds, brushed with olive oil, and then put face down in a baking dish. I covered with foil and roasted it high (450 degrees) for about 40 minutes.

While it was in the oven, I used 1Tbl Olive oil, and sauteed a shallot and 2 cloves of garlic until soft. I added 1/2 tsp ground sage and moved around the pan for another minute or so. I added a box of the Near East wild rice mixture plus 1 and 3/4 cups vegetable stock, and some salt and pepper. I brought to a boil, and then covered and simmered on low for about 30 minutes. I cooked up 8 oz of bulk pork sage sausage and crumbled it up. When the rice was done, I added the pork, plus 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots. I sprinkled the squash with some salt and pepper, and then I scooped the rice mixture into the hollow middles of the squash (I cooked 2 squash, so divided the rice 4-ways).

All told, my version came out to: 433 cal, 49 carbs, 22 fat, 15 protein. Sure you could cut the sausage...but it makes it so yummy! You could also choose a lower fat sausage option.
  • SCSleeve2012
    SCSleeve2012 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump