Tea recommendations?

Options
My son is a hockey player, which means I spend most of my winter in an ice rink freezing. Having lost 80 pounds of insulation, I am finding myself even colder than usual. In previous years I survived by drinking large cups of hot chocolate. I have never been a coffee or tea drinker. I can't stand coffee and tea has always tasted so bland to me. I can't drink hundreds of calories of hot chocolate everytime I am cold, so I think I may have to develop a taste for tea.

Does anyone have good recommendations for tea? I tend to like things on the sweeter and stronger side, but I have never liked any tea I have tried in the past. I am hoping I just haven't tried any good ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am freezing.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Celestial tea is the BEST. It tastes sweet without adding anything to it! I love apple cinnamon and the Bengal spice :)
  • saudade87
    Options
    i LOVE french vanilla tea by bigelow- its sweet with a touch of vanilla. i also like green tea, but you should only let the bag seep for less than 5 mins or it will become bitter.
    try to look for a whole foods store that sells loose tea leaves- its so fun to figure out and have a little taste test every day to figure out what you like best. you can mix different leaves together to get a distinct taste :)
    good luck!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love a good cup of Earl Grey...either decaf or regular and put a tsp of honey in it......
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Peppermint herbal tea! Plus it apperently helps flatten the stomack!
  • pokeelyy
    pokeelyy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Peppermint from Celstial Seasons!!!! So delicious, I drink it without anything added. But if you want, add some Splenda!! It tastes amazing sweetened too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Republic of Tea and Zhena's Gypsy Tea are both amazing! Republic of Tea has an incredible dessert line of teas. I can personally vouch for their red velvet rooibos & caramel apple flavors.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I suggest buying a few of the "variety packs" to find a good flavor without spending tons of money!!!! Good luck!!!
  • scottbe07
    scottbe07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy is sooo nice on cold days. It's already sweet, so no need to add any sweetener. :]
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I love peppermint tea. Stevia is a natural sweetener - not artificial - w/o calories. I also love apple cinnamon, cranberry apple and Yogi's Sweet Chili Pepper tea. The last one is very good for warming up!
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends that drinks the Teavana teas....you can order it at Teavana.com. You can add Truvia sweetner to it. If you try it, let me know what you think.

Acai Matetini™ Mate Tea

Price reflects 2oz (25-30 teaspoons per 2oz)

$8.00

Description

The newest craze in cocktails inspired this fusion of real fruit, herbs and flowers with mate tea. Our mock martini is a classy notch up, first blending 'superfruits' acai, blueberry, raspberry and blackberry. Added to that are crisp granny smith apples & sweet pineapple, brightened with the zesty citrus notes of orange, lemongrass and hibiscus. Cheers! SUPERFRUIT ENHANCED

Crisp and sweet berries, followed by sweet pineapple and finished with minty undertones
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Teavana. If they don't have a store near you, you can access them online. It's loose leaf tea w/ all kinds of varieties. Super yummy. My favorite winter one is a chai mix that feels like I'm getting a treat.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love love love celestial apple cinnamon tea!!! It is amazing!!! I am also a huge fan of chai tea!!!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    for black tea - bigelow's vanilla chai - inexpensive and delicious!
    for green tea - republic of tea - pomegranate green tea
    for red/herbal tea - mighty leaf - african nectar tea (I love this one hot OR iced)

I drink a lot of tea, but these are some of my faves off-hand :)
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I work at a tea shop in the summer and on weekends. We have found that many people who aren't regular tea drinkers tend to enjoy rooibos (aka red tea/bush tea). It is a type of herb that is grown in South Africa which means it does not have any of the tea plant in it. For folks who don't care for the taste of black/green/white/oolong tea, rooibos is usually a great match. It is naturally caffeine free and has a sweeter taste. You can also get some really amazing flavors blended in. For instance, we carry caramel, Godiva, vanilla, dreamsicle-- just to name a few of the "sweet" ones (still without the calories!).
    Many of the online companies should have rooibos.

If you are interested, the shop where I work is www.theteacupboard.net and we ship anywhere in the U.S. :)
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    These seem wonderful with the winter months coming on! :flowerforyou:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Try fruity herbal teas. I find when I drink that it has waaay more flavour than just a black or green tea. One of my all time favourites was strawberry apricot I think. Man it was amazingly sweet and flavourful. But if you find teas bland definitely try more for the herbal teas. I find the black and green teas have less flavour naturally.

ETA: As for the cold thing...I heard taking cayenne pepper (whether it be pills or adding pepper to your foods) helps keep you warmer in winter... Haven't tried it myself but thought about it since I am always cold in winter...and the rest of the year. lol
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yogi Tea - Mayan Cocoa Spice is really lovely and would make a good substitute for the hot chocolate as it's got ground cocoa shells and definitely tastes chocolatey.

http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/mayan-cocoa-spice/
  • ansleya
    ansleya Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Teavana! Hands down! I have been drinking tea my whole life. I have tried a great deal of it. And I love, love, love Teavana. They have 114 teas to choose from. I like it for the choice...I like it for the freshness...I like it for the benefits. My favorite, by far, is the Weight-to-go Pu-erh tea. It is sooo awesome. It's a blend of fruits, hibiscus, and mints. The aroma is amazing and I love that you can SEE every ingredient. You can see the flowers, and the leaves, and the apples, and the strawberries. At first, Teavana can seem daunting because the prices are for 2oz of loose tea. But 2oz at a teaspoon each is around 28/30 cups of tea. So, it is actually a great deal. I encourage everyone to try some! There are many stores and you can also get it online :drinker:

~Ans~
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ADSKFJAKDSFA THIS IS MY TOPIC

Sorry, I get excited about tea. XD

There is a company based in Canada called DavidsTea that makes some TRULY fantastic teas. You can check out their entire catalogue online and they do ship internationally. :)

Some of my favourites from them are the Chili Chocolate Chai (spicy chocolate black tea, YUM), Glitter and Gold (a very nice, simple black tea with cinnamon), Chocolate Rocket (best thing in the WORLD to get you going in the morning--better than coffee!), Shanti Ayurvedic (I call it my "inner peace" tea), North African Mint (the best mint tea I've ever tasted), Countess of Seville (a very nice orange green tea)...god, I could go on and on! I have about 50 varieties of tea right now in my cupboard at home, and planning to buy more!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My fave is Twinings Cranberry Green tea