Nutella??

Options
I like Nutella. My question is.....is Nutella really a lot better for you than Peanut Butter??

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No. Nutella isn't healthy at all (while natural peanut butter is healthy in small quantities). But who cares? Just have it every once in a while!
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    It's really only better if you have a peanut allergy. :)
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also would say that peanut butter is healthier.....however.....mmm....Nutella!! :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    PB is way healthier then nutella xD Nutella is full of sugar. PB is full of good fats and has some protein,

Nutella is good for my sanity tho :D mmmm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I like Nutella. My question is.....is Nutella really a lot better for you than Peanut Butter??

Those commercials try to push Nutella as healthy by saying is is a source of energy. This is BS marketing as anything with calories in it is a source of energy. I believe one woman was trying to sue Nutella for this reason, she was giving it to her kids on the assumption it was healthy but later realized it isn't.
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    both have 100 cals per tbl spoon... you chould check fat and sugar content for both :)
    peanut butter would probably have more protein *( i guess)
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Read the nutrition information on the side of the container.

1 T has 200 calories, which is the same as 2 T of my peanut butter.

It does have less sodium, and in that 2:1 ratio has less fat. It has less protein, though.

Healthier? No. But if you want to eat some now and then, that's okay. Just make sure to integrate it into your diet appropriately. I'd also suggest making sure to measure it each time you use it, because if one tablespoon is 200 calories, you don't want to misjudge how much there is. That's just me, though.
  • ant_man
    ant_man Posts: 29
    Options
    both full of fat and sugar.. Don't have either in my opinion
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    My boys love Nutella! I have to actually chew gum while I'm making them toast or a sandwich w/ Nutella so I don't inhale the entire container.....so yummy!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Not all PB is full of sugar, and you need fat.. might as well enjoy it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

natural peanut butter has very little sugar. The ingredients in my PB is: roasted peanuts.
  • Shariegreen
    Options

I've been wondering myself, so let's see....

NUTELLA/SKIPPY SUPERCHUNK PEANUT BUTTER
    Serving size 2 tbsp (37g)

Calories 200/190 - Peanut butter wins
    Fat calories 100/140 - Nutella wins
    Total fat 11g/16g - Nutella wins
    Saturated fat 3.5g/3g - Peanut butter wins
    Trans fat 0g/0g - Tie
    Cholesterol 0mg/0mg - Tie
    Sodium 15mg/120 mg - Nutella wins
    Total carbohydrate 22g/7 g - Peanut butter wins
    Fiber 1g/2g - Peanut butter wins
    Sugars 21g/3g - Peanut butter wins
    Protein 3g/7g - Peanut butter wins
    Vitamin A 0/0 - Tie
    Vitamin C 0/0 - Tie
    Calcium 4%/0% - Nutella wins
    Iron 4%/4% - Tie
    Niacin 0%/20% - Peanut butter wins
    Vitamin E 0%/10% - Peanut butter wins

It looks like peanut butter is overall more nutritious than Nutella but I guess it also depends on what you are watching in your food intake. If you're watching your sodium levels, Nutella is better. Sugar levels, go with the peanut butter.

There may also be a more nutritious brand of peanut butter out there, this is just what I had in my cupboard. Hope this helps!
  • Charrah
    Charrah Posts: 60
    Options
    I think it's so easy to go overboard with foods like this and not realise how much you are consuming. Personally I allow myself a teaspoon of PB nearly every day as I know there's about 45 cals in a teaspoon. Sometimes this is the highlight of my day!
    PB has more nutritional goodness than Nutella but it's still not great! Just measure what you have and you'll be fine.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have an all natural PB with very little sugar and no sodium. It is pretty tasty :)

Nutella is awesome though, although I don't keep it around because of the sugar
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Eat the Nutella and live life :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who really can't stand Nutella? Far too sticky and overly sweet for me.
  • JCubbins
    Options
    Am I the only person who really can't stand Nutella? Far too sticky and overly sweet for me.

Nope, I don't like it too. One tablespoon makes me want to throw up. :/
  • julessimeone
    Options
    you are so cute to do a full comparison like that!!! :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    urgh I never really got the whole nutella thing - my brother used to eat it by the spoonful!!

I saw something on tv a while ago and I remember them saying that an entire jar of nutella had only 6 hazelnuts in it - don't quote me on that, it was a while ago but I remember being shocked!

The only ingredient on my Peanut Butter jar is: 100% Hi-Oleic premium peanuts. The only ingredient in my Almond Butter is....Almonds!! I make it myself!

I eat at least a tbs full of these a day mmmm
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My bf makes this super decadent snack: piece of toast with both nutella and PB. Hmmm