WEIGHT LOSS & PMS

Options
Okay, I am FURIOUS with my body for this. I know it's natural, but still. So should I resign myself to the fact that I am NOT going to lose any weight until I complete my cycle? I want to eat EVERYTHING, especially sweets, which could explain my craving for Carrot Cake. I'm not a candy girl so much, but cake?! OMG!!!

Does anyone else go through this? If so, what do you do? I want to eat right, but I suppose I'm disappointed because I know I cannot expect any weight loss. :sad:

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I want to eat right, but I suppose I'm disappointed because I know I cannot expect any weight loss. :sad:

Umm. I don't understand why you can't expect weight loss? I lose weight. And maybe your eating right during this time will make for a loss next week, instead of using one or two weeks a month as an excuse to go off the plan.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    sighs.......Will power and avoidance of the scale :flowerforyou:
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Just don't give in...and keep eating right....you'll notice a difference once you complete your cycle!!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I either have to force myself to eat or I eat everything in sight during this time. I usually up my intake of water, make sure I have some really good and flavorful gum on hand, drink lots of hot coffee and/or hot tea and make sure I always have raw carrots or grape tomatoes on me and some sort of granola bar or cookie (that includes chocolate) on hand and readily available that is not overly bad for me (i.e. Kashi brand, Think Thin, Slim Fast, etc.). Then when I do weight in I try not to get discouraged knowing I will possible gain a pound or two but the next week will probably lose 3-4. Good Luck!!
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Howdy! It's interesting that you bring this up because I always forget that PMS is real and that it can affect my weight. This last period, I noticed that I was bloated (I normally don't really pay attention to this).

I think it's still possible to lose weight during that time of the month; maybe you could allow yourself the carrot cake in moderation so that you're not deprived, but also not trying to undo the hard work you put in the during the rest of the month.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't typically lose any weight that week but I try not to go crazy either as I don't think that will help matters any. And as rbryntes pointed out, a loss could show up later.
  • Starthin
    Options
    Wt loss and PMS. There are at least 2-3 days a month-I eat what ever when ever - quantity not always quality. During that time-"I DONT CARE". I have not found what curbs the crave. I do keep exercising through all of it which may help some what.
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am FURIOUS with my body for this. I know it's natural, but still. So should I resign myself to the fact that I am NOT going to lose any weight until I complete my cycle? I want to eat EVERYTHING, especially sweets, which could explain my craving for Carrot Cake. I'm not a candy girl so much, but cake?! OMG!!!

Does anyone else go through this? If so, what do you do? I want to eat right, but I suppose I'm disappointed because I know I cannot expect any weight loss. :sad:

I don't lose either and actually tend to gain 2-3 lbs. My diet and fitness levels don't change, but I still gain. Of course, that minor gain drops off a few days after my cycle ends. IMO, I would keep doing what you normally do with your diet, etc.
  • missflorez
    Options
    I hear ya i have the same problem and i dont really feel like exercising at that time of the month. Someone told me to try and take a couple bites of chocolate or whatever it is that im craving then drink cold water or milk after and it prolongs the taste .but i just chew gum or cough drops cause it keeps my mouth busy.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't lose either and actually tend to gain 2-3 lbs. My diet and fitness levels don't change, but I still gain. Of course, that minor gain drops off a few days after my cycle ends. IMO, I would keep doing what you normally do with your diet, etc.

Yup, this happened to me. I have been doing everything the same. Logging my calories, exercising and drinking my water. I gained 2 lbs at the end of last week. Things are winding down and I am hoping it begins coming off soon. It is so frustrating. I completely understand where you are coming from. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I usually only see a drop twice a month and i am okay with that. When i was on the pill and eating hardly any salt also only eating 1200 i would gain during TOM but now it doesnt fluctuate and i lost a lb during that time last month. I eat more food now too.
  • bo0berry
    Options
    I have the same probem, but I try to eat smaller meals more often and try to throw in as much healthy stuff as possible. Then once or twice have a me time and have a fun size candy to help with the cravings. :) It helps some but avoiding the scale this week is a major because of bloating and the water you store up during the time.
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I gain during this time as well a lot of bloating and i gain at least 3-4 lbs. of course most of this is water weight, but I continue to workout to the best of my ability. Sometimes its very hard because of the stupid CRAMPS, but i still do it and i crave chocolate and sweets so bad but i eat it in moderation. ESPECIALLY chocolate but I will eat sometthing healthy wth chocolate like make chocolate muffins with the vitamuffin mix, or I will eat a piece of dark chocolate, OR the granola thinks with dark chocolate on the bottom. It will work out for you, just stay within your calories/carbs etc if at all possible. I also up my water as well. After the PMS is over I lose those pounds and normally a pound of 2 more..

Just dont give up.!!!!!
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said just continue to eat right, ignoring the scale, and you will see the weight drop off after your cyle. The last time I lost 80 pounds the week leading up to AF I would lose NOTHING but then as soon as she was over I drop 2-3 pounds overnight if I didn't cave.
  • Meli_fitness
    Options
    I asked the same question not long ago.... what you should do is eat a slice of the carrott cake everyday, do not let yourself eat more than that... i hope this helps... I usually gain weight during this time bc its sooo hard for me to stick with my diet... :(
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean ... I am a CAKE or BROWNIE girl myself! It is a fact .... you are hungry because of your hormones. :sad: I think our bodies do use a few more calories during that time but not enough to allow us to eat the whole cake. When I really NEED something sweet I have starting using those 90 calorie brownies. :heart: Take one, smear it with a serving of Weight Watcher's cream cheese and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon sugar. It tastes absolutely decadent!!!! :happy:

AND it is ONLY 125 calories!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I always lose during my TOM, but I also stay on track with my eating and exercise. I have a weakness for chocolate and I do have a little something sweet to feel better.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i tend to find a can of Mackisons (not sure if that is a UK only drink - its like Guiness but comes in smaller cans) Its loaded with iron (and a bit of alcohol) and definatly helps during my TOM
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone! I'm not going to stop doing what I do. Thankfully, I don't have cramps bad enough to deter me from working out.

I really appreciate you all being so open and honest and sharing with me. I don't feel so alone now...