Digital Scale question

Options
Ok I have a Weight Watchers Digital Scale. So when I step on it sometimes it says a number that I'm like WOW seriously? That's friggin awesome. So I think its too good to be true so I step off and step on again and it says a totally different number.

What am I doing wrong? Which number should I believe? Is there a reset button on these things?

Replies

• hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My scale does the same thing and it's not WW. It's almost a game when I weigh in. If I don't like the number, I'll try again and again until I get a number that I do like. LOL
  • pussycat626
    pussycat626 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My scale does the same thing and it's not WW. It's almost a game when I weigh in. If I don't like the number, I'll try again and again until I get a number that I do like. LOL

lol.
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    change batteries?
  • Srbrosseau
    Srbrosseau Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure on the WW scale. I use an Eatsmart scale. To calibrate that one, you just step on, get a reading, step off, and take the second reading. It only needs to be calibrated when it's been moved, so I've only done this a couple times. If your scale auto calibrates, the method should be the same.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Could be the batteries need to be replaced. Either that or it's a faulty scale. I bought a brand new scale that gave me a different number every time if I stepped on it many times in a row. I returned it for a different model and have no problems now.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    recalibrate your scale (you'll have to look it up in your manual). and if you move the scale, ALWAYS recalibrate it!
  • rachel197536
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I became so frustrated that I went out and bought another scale...same problem occured:) I am training myself to be happy with the way my clothes are fitting and the not the numbers on the scale.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Could be that you need to place it on a more even, hard surface when weighing yourself. Either that or it's really not a reliable scale. My boyfriend and I bought a scale from Walmart for $35 and it's probably the best scale I've ever had (it is digital). If you need to replace it consider looking at Wally-World. :-)
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    my wii fit does this and it drives me crazy.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    too funny, i go through the same thing, but mine is at least consitenlty weird.

i know sometimes i step on it and it says 3-4 pounds over what i expected. i wait a few min and boom, it settles down.
  • zoeysmom01
    zoeysmom01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed the same thing. AND if my scale is cold it seems to weigh me higher than after the bathroom has warmed up from showers or just warming up later in the day. Can be as much as 2 pounds. So I just make sure the room temp is about the same each time I weigh.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes too, but you do need to keep it in the same spot and make sure it's level. I also try to stand the same way, if possible, each time, and stare at something so that I stand perfectly still while it measures (2-3 seconds). If I do this, I can usually get 2 back to back identical numbers.

P.S. I went for most of my adult life without weighing on a regular basis, because regular bathroom scales wouldn't go above 250... I'm not sure if it's a great thing or a sad thing that you can buy scales up to 400lbs at Wal-Mart for $30-40. I figure it's because so many more people weigh over 250 now than did before.... :(
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I had two scales both go brain-dead on me within a year, and at $80 a pop, that was getting old in a hurry. They had little infrared "remotes" that gave the actual weight...the first one just stopped working, and the second one did what you described. It was like playing a slot machine every time I stepped on the scale.

I recently picked up an EatSmart Precision Plus. It's fantastic and at a fraction of the cost! It's very accurate, reliable, and looks great.