Anyone pregnant & on a low carb diet?

Options
Anyone pregnant & on a low carb diet? Just curios if I was the only one.

Thanks!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your developing fetus needs the carbs for proper development. Talk to your doctor to make sure you are getting what you need for the baby.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhh......I'm no doctor or expert, but uhhh....shouldn't you check with your doctor to make sure that's safe?
  • fasttt425
    fasttt425 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it for GD...
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Get off the low carb "diet". Feed your fetus what it needs.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    As much as the low carb diet has been successful for me...I'm not so sure you should be doing this without approval from your doctor. Losing weight should not be a priority while you're pregnant.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your developing fetus needs the carbs for proper development. Talk to your doctor to make sure you are getting what you need for the baby.

** I really hope this isn't a serious question, but you should also not be 'dieting' while pregnant without doctor guidance.
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Really? I had GD and I was still advised to eat fruits and veggies...
  • getnhealthymum
    Options
    My doc put me on low carb because I had Gestational Diabetes. You should still be getting at least 100 a day though. Not strict like Atkins. IMO.
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would like to know why so many pregnant woman on here are on diets!!!! That is not healthy for your child!! Yes, you should watch what you eat and exercise but it is never advised to lose weight!!! Eat healthy and it is okay to gain weight!!!
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Ok, as long as your doc knows and approves it. :smile:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Check out www.dailygarnish.com for a great pregnancy journey (the author is due any day now) and lots of healthy recipes for during pregnancy. The author also gained what she was supposed to and did not have any complications. She also did not eat low carb.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I did have GD with my last pregnancy and the diabetic diet is the basis of my current weight loss efforts. I actually lost 10 lbs at 6 months pregnant starting to watch carbs and then I didn't gain any more weight the remainder of my pregnancy.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to do "low carb" when you have GD. I did with my first. I'm assuming your doctor sent you to a nutritionist? I was allowed 45 grams of carbs at breakfast and lunch, 60 at dinner and snacks of 15 grams.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I have seen this before. It makes me SO angry! You should definitely be eating carbs during your pregnancy. Your diabetes association may have some information online for gestational diabetes and diet. Or perhaps you could request to see a dietitian?
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to do "low carb" when you have GD. I did with my first. I'm assuming your doctor sent you to a nutritionist? I was allowed 45 grams of carbs at breakfast and lunch, 60 at dinner and snacks of 15 grams.

This is closer to what I would think was appropriate but it is individual - this isn't low carb by any means though.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Really? I had GD and I was still advised to eat fruits and veggies...

Sorry, I missed the part where she said she's not eating fruits or veggies....mainly because she didn't say that. Depends on what's considered "Low carb" some people automatically think induction phase of Atkins with the 20carbs a day, but for some people "low carb" is 100-150g a day.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mission has carb balance tortillas. I loved wrapping my food in tortillas when I'm pregnant. I put an entire Thanks giving dinner in one with the last pregnancy and thought it was the best thing ever. Make sure you're getting enough fiber.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I developed Gestional Diabetes and had to monitor my carb intake and also balance my protein with my carbs. While pregnant I could have 50g of Carbs balanced with 30g of protein per meal. I ate 5 meals a day. Since I had to monitor everything that I ate, I quickly learned that portion sizes of high carb things like pasta and rice are actually very little compared to what I was eating. I was able to stay off insulin and keep my sugar levels in check just with the proper eating plan (diet). I was consuming about 1800-2000 calories a day which is what my doctor and nutritionist recommended. I would certainly check with your doctor to see what they recommend.
  • fasttt425
    fasttt425 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, I guess. I am on a specifice amount of carbs for each meal & snack ... per my doctors. I never said I did not do it in a healthy way.
    I can't be the only one. Just thought I would find someone in the same situation.
    ALL of this is done with doctors orders to keep me off insulin.
    I think it makes sense... since it is working!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack your post at all hon!! (Im sorry).. I just wanted to inform any pregtastic ladies that we have a great "Fit Pregnancy" group on Facebook (secret, no one can see your a member).. Its goal is to help you stay on track during your pregnancy. Message me with your Facebook name and what your pic is, if you're interested!! I love to add some new faces. :)