Breastfeeding question

mrsmellymac
mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
Good morning everyone =)

I've been nursing my son for the last 8 months, but he obviousloy doesn't nurse as often as he did at the beginning of my weight loss journey. I had been adding the extra 500 calories as I should've, but I've seem to have gotten stuck. Is it possible that since he no longer nursing as often, I do not have to eat the extra 500? Should I take it down to 250?

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    I would, since he isn't eating quite as much, you probably don't need as many calories. I ate when I was hungry when I nursed and didn't gain until after I stopped altogether. Just make sure you are eating quality stuff and I think you'll be fine. How long have you been "stuck"? I also didn't start dieting until I stopped nursing at 12 months.
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    That sounds reasonable (tho I am not any kind of expert other than nursing two kids myself). I mean, if he is getting a certain amount of calories from solids now, you probably could cut back on your caloric intake somewhat.

There are probably lots of nutritionists on this site who could give more expert advice :)

Good luck on your journey!

Cheers
  • I plateau'd probably around 8 months of nursing, too. I was at a good weight for me so I didn't really pay attention to calories, just tried to eat healthy. (now, 2 months after we weaned, my weight is slowly creeping up, which is why I'm here).

You could give it a try to go down to 250. I was hungry ALL THE TIME still at that point, so I couldn't really restrict. I just made sure I was active.
  • from what i picked up from the database (not a mom, never have been), it looks like it's about -20 calories per ounce. sadly, boobies don't come with measuring units to know what baby's getting.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    I've never nursed a baby because I have none.. but it sounds logical to decrease your extra cals if the baby has decreased the nursing frequency. BUT REALLY I just had to comment because of how cute your little one is all costumed up!! :happy:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    My son is 10 months old and is eating solids regularly. I add 300 calories--there's an option for breastfeeding 6-12 months, so I just do that. I sort of guess I put out about 50 calories each feeding and I feed about 6 times per day. Maybe you could work it out like that? If you pump it's easier to tell, but I think at this stage of the game it's most likely less than 500 calories. Just a guess. Glad you're still nursing though. Very good for baby's immune system and mom's health as well. :flowerforyou:
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    I have struggled with this too. what I did is google how many calories a baby that age takes per day on average, and then subtract the calories from formula/solids she takes. This gave me a pretty close idea of how many calories baby takes:) Congrats on the baby btw!
  • mrsmellymac
    I've never nursed a baby because I have none.. but it sounds logical to decrease your extra cals if the baby has decreased the nursing frequency. BUT REALLY I just had to comment because of how cute your little one is all costumed up!! :happy:

thanks!!! :flowerforyou:
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    My son is 10 months old and is eating solids regularly. I add 300 calories--there's an option for breastfeeding 6-12 months, so I just do that. I sort of guess I put out about 50 calories each feeding and I feed about 6 times per day. Maybe you could work it out like that? If you pump it's easier to tell, but I think at this stage of the game it's most likely less than 500 calories. Just a guess. Glad you're still nursing though. Very good for baby's immune system and mom's health as well. :flowerforyou:

This is what I did recently. The 300 calories seems to be working really well and I haven't noticed any issues at all with the milk supply. There are occasionally days where I am hungrier (usually following a night where he nursed more frequently than normal) and I just eat a little extra. If you want you can cut back too 400 and try that out, instead of just jumping down 200 calories all at once.
  • mrsmellymac
    thank you! i didn't see the 6-12 months, i think that's perfect! i always felt like I was eating too much, I wasn't hungry like I used to be! :bigsmile:
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Uhm.. I have been on 1200 calories since the 6th week of his birth.. loads of days I felt very hungry ... so I ate them before I even did any exercise, so after eating them all.. I had to go for long long walks to burn them and make some room for dinner!! so in the end I guess I ended up eating 1600 calories a day, but doing at least 2 hours of active movement a day. And now I'm only 8 lbs to go back to my original weight!. Never thought of adding 500 calories, I was thinking of taking them off as if I burned them.. but in the end I've never done it. :D
This discussion has been closed.