Your advice for me

Options
Moofey
Moofey Posts: 444
Okay, I wanted to get your opinion because it is important to me. My current employer has been very good to me but I sit in an office and work on a computer for 10 hours a day and I love moving around and also getting outside, my passion is working with animals to be honest. I have worked for a veterinarian before, part time as a kennel tech making decent money. It was the BEST job I have ever had until the veterinarian starting calling us into his office alone and was feeling up on us, touching us and MANYo ther things...(Pretty horrible things, yes he is still in business because no one listened to us) I was wondering, would you leave your job to follow your passion. Can a kennel tech willing to work any full time hours any day be able to make 9.50-10.50 hourly? (What I started at where I am now) Please don't think I am a demanding little brat who will work for no less than 9.50, I mean I have no problem with it. Thats just the amount I started at here and the amount that makes me able to pay my bills.

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My sister is a full time vet tech in Texas. It pays $13 per hour
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you have a new job secured before leaving your current work. Its hard to find work these days ( take it from me... I am 43, I graduated with my bachelors degree after the death of my husband and its been a year and I can't find work..)

I would always follow my passions, but its always a good choice to have planned passions.. =)
  • LuneBleu85
    Options
    I left my job to follow my passion, it was a huge risk as I own a house and have a horse, two dogs and a rabbit to pay for. I made a little savings account, sold my new car and bought an old one. I haven't regretted it for a single second. Something will turn up for you :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Good luck to you.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    If you can find a secure position doing what you love then I say go for it. It would suck to work 20 years doing something you aren't happy doing. Good luck.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I say yes go for it, but make sure you have a job lined up before you quit the one your at
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You should definitely go for it if you can secure a job before leaving the one you have now! I also sit at a computer all day and am starting to lose my mind...absolutely meant to be on my feet and talking to people and I hardly ever do that here! Good luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I would hardly call $9.50 an hour salary requirement demanding or bratty. I'd hate to see what mine would get me called lol. Check on Craigslist. I'm not sure where you're from, but there are often vet's offices posting for openings on my local Craigslist. Follow your dreams girl!
  • KBS1989
    KBS1989 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you should follow your dream and do what makes you happy even if it is a pay cut at least you will be happy! Thats what I did and I love my job and couldnt be happier
    :smile:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you have a new job secured before leaving your current work. Its hard to find work these days ( take it from me... I am 43, I graduated with my bachelors degree after the death of my husband and its been a year and I can't find work..)

I would always follow my passions, but its always a good choice to have planned passions.. =)

Thisnis great advice! Follow your passions and dreams, but have a plan.

Ps...i cannot believe that vet is still in business!
  • Moofey
    Options
    This is the best job I have ever had with AMAZING insurance coverage which I DON'T have to pay out of pocket for. My Mom would shoot me if I quit this job because promotions and raises are possible here where as at a vets office they would be scarce and according to sources the insurance would not be near as good. Risks, that's them above haha!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hey hon,

I say go do what you love, but as someone else said. . secure that other position before doing anything drastic as the job market is difficult at best right now~ Best of luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    If you don't have people that are dependent on you, like children than I say follow your passion. If you are doing what you love the money isn't that important cause you don't really mind putting in more hours, cause you love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Moofey
    Options
    Oh I would never leave my job without another one, I have a pretty expensive little car and do plan on moving out soon. (New job=few months away) (I also already have a savings account :D )
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    While saving up a nest egg to make the move, you could volunteer at a shelter to get a little of what you love in your life.

I agree that you should not quit your job until you have another one and you should always measure the financial impact as well. I don't know what you are making now but you would at least need pay comparable to keep your standard of living the way it is and dont forget to consider any benefits you have as part of that.

Another thing you might want to pay attention to is something that you've already experienced. No matter how much you love your job (when you were a kennel tech), it all really comes down to how much you like the people you work with. You loved your old kennel job but not enough to stay when the boss started taking advantage of you. (of course)

Of course you should be able to do what you want, but you have to be able to take care of yourself too. Which is why I suggest volunteering at a shelter until you find a job you love. At least you get to help and work with animals while still having a stable job you know helps you make a living.

Still, go for it :) Just do it sensibly.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty expensive little car

plan on moving out soon.

Well, at least you have priorities *smh*
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Why don't you stay at your current job and take some classes. With a degree or some type of cert you should make more.
  • Moofey
    Options
    I have a pretty expensive little car

plan on moving out soon.

Well, at least you have priorities *smh*

(the insurance is why it is expensive)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirt-broke artist, so I'm not someone to ask about career advice, but doing something you love has value that can't be counted in dollars and cents.

I've been a vet tech, too, and loved the job itself. Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding a vet to work for who isn't batpoop crazy in one way or another. I support the idea of small businesses, but so many vets have major god-complexes and, since they're working for themselves, there's no recourse if things get weird, as you already found. My situation was so bad that I was able to quit and win an appeal to collect unemployment, which is really rare that the state agreed that quitting was the only option.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Why don't you stay at your current job and take some classes. With a degree or some type of cert you should make more.
    Agreed. Set yourself for future success in the field you love. Will you want to be a vet tech in 10 years? 20 years?