I'm scared to go... But I gotta!

Options
mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
Ok growing up my parents hardly took us to the dentist. Since I was little I had gum problems. They never really didn't anything about it. I haven't went to the dentist since 4/2009.. before that was when I was 17ish (now 31th) It felt good having my teeth cleaned ect in 2009. I was embarrassed by my teeth though. Well I do have a few cavaties and then my four wisdom teeth came in sideways so they have to be surgically removed..well right after the visit in 2009. I fell and broke my mouth. well with all that pain my gums were not being taken care of.. they were never healthy but were looking better! Then medicaid took away denist coverage for adults..and I had no money for it. I was told by a oral surgion that medicaid wouldn't cover my wisdom teeth.. But anyways I believe they gave coverage back to the adults a year later.. (not sure what it covers) but I've been scared to go. I'm scared to know whats wrong with my teeth. My two top wisdom teeth are falling apart big time.. theres hardly any of them left.. My gums are bad. I don't think the dentist should be able to critizize me for my teeth. I Know they should be healthier.. but they should just help me.

But today I decided enough is enough! I shouldn't let fear effect my teeth anymore. Its not worth it.. and I decided if they are gonna make me feel bad about my teeth there is other dentists.. plus I need to be a example to my kids.. show them going to the dentist is important.. especially my oldest.. he refuses to go (he has never been)

so today I left a message that I wanted to set up appts for all my kids and possibly myself (depending if medicaid will cover it) Even if I cant get my wisdom teeth taken care of.. get a cleaning and cavaties filled.. my biggest fear is finding something seriously wrong :(

sorry for rambling on.. just another words .. this is a huge fear for me and I'm scared but I decided I gotta do it!

Replies

• methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    good for you! I hate the dentist and have had bad experience after bad experience.
    I finally found a good dentist who is patient, careful, and awesome.
    I don't even need the nitrous anymore!

I wish you luck... once your mouth is better, it makes you feel amazing!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    The fear of unknown is always worse than the fear of the known, in my opinion. And really, as great as it would be for a weightloss/diet aspect to be able to eat nothing that isn't pureed, that's just no fun. I'd definitely recommend going and getting it done ASAP. Good luck with it!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    good call, i recently did the same and have come away with 5 fillings.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Good dental care is important also. I wish you all the best.

It's also good that you're taking time for your health!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    you can do this - you are also being a great role model for your kids -
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a dentist appointment today too, and like you (and probably about 90% of the people out there) I hate going. Not because I have anything wrong, but there's always that fear that they're going to find something seriously wrong.

One thing to note, if you know you have gum problems and can't afford to get to the dentist regularly there are some things you can do that help your gums. There's stimudents (you can find them at walmart or your local grocery store) and they stimulate the gums. Use them kind of like a tooth pick (there's directions on the packages). Another thing that is an easy at-home fix is just making sure that you use a flouride rinse. It really helps! Good luck and great job taking the leap!
  • kismet1428
    kismet1428 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honey, I KNOW what you mean. I am terrified of the dentist, but I made an appointment and went, after they called in some Valium for me. I was terrified and couldn't relax, but I did it. And you can too.

The dentist may say something to you, mine did to me, I sort of laughed it off and said that I had been terrified of his office and didn't want to go because of potential comments. After that, he apologized to me and we got along just fine - after he took his hands out of my mouth!

Take a benedryl or ask the pharmacist what you could do that will help you relax and go for it! You might even want to tell the receptionist when you make the appointment that you are terrified and that you are afraid that he will make comments about the condition of your teeth. Ask her to put it in your file so that they will know.

Good luck and be brave!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Yeah the dentist I went to 09 was nice...they didnt' critizize me ... but since then the two wisdom teeth got worse..so worried about that.. but when I went to the oral surgeon when I broke my jaw..he is the one who kinda talked down to me about my unhealthy gums..so I think thast a big reason I haven't been back to a dentist..but I'm taking my kids to the one I went to before. they were great with my twins
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    wow i can completely empathize with this.
    I was the same and was petrified of dentists to the point of having panic attacks but i ended up breaking one of my back teeth on a soft fudge of all things! lol I was in agony for a couple of months and had no choice but to go i found a dentist who deals with nervous patients and went and it was fine since then i have been several times agin for fillings and now my teeth are pretty healthy.
    I decided to stop my little boy being like i was to have him seen at the dentist even though he has a few teeth being 14 months old lol.
    Good luck with the dentist and its awesome your dealing with it for you and your children :0)
  • Snickers6961
    Snickers6961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I had a fear of dentist until about a year ago. I went in to a new dentist explaining to them I have this terrible fear and they were very understanding. They did make judgment of my bad teeth but I shot back with "You know how much you charge for dental work?" LOL it's expensive and that is the reason I haven't kept up on mine. I have had a few molers pulled and I am on the recovery end of trying to get healthy teeth and gums. I survived! You will too and I wish you luck.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    The fear of unknown is always worse than the fear of the known, in my opinion. And really, as great as it would be for a weightloss/diet aspect to be able to eat nothing that isn't pureed, that's just no fun. I'd definitely recommend going and getting it done ASAP. Good luck with it!

Yeah I didn't want to get to that point.. hopefully I'm not there yet either..
  • demiahbryant
    demiahbryant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel afraid or embarrassed. You've started this journey of being better to your body, and your teeth are a part of that solution. If you're like me, you're discovering a lot of emotions that you ignored or ran away from over the years and your 30's can't ignore those issues anymore.
    I encourage you to find a reputable, convenient dentist that fits your insurance plan and has convenient office hours. Before having some stranger probe your mouth, ask about his services. Get a feel for his front desk administrators. Sit in the waiting room and observe the patients as they leave (VERY IMPORTANT). Most importantly: ask questions about professional technique. A lot has changed in dentistry since you were 17, pain shouldn't be part of the equation anymore.
    Next step: If you're a runner or do high intensity aerobics, I recommend visiting a chiropractor at least twice a year, and a massage therapist once a month. Your body will love you for it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Ok growing up my parents hardly took us to the dentist. Since I was little I had gum problems. They never really didn't anything about it. I haven't went to the dentist since 4/2009.. before that was when I was 17ish (now 31th) It felt good having my teeth cleaned ect in 2009. I was embarrassed by my teeth though. Well I do have a few cavaties and then my four wisdom teeth came in sideways so they have to be surgically removed..well right after the visit in 2009. I fell and broke my mouth. well with all that pain my gums were not being taken care of.. they were never healthy but were looking better! Then medicaid took away denist coverage for adults..and I had no money for it. I was told by a oral surgion that medicaid wouldn't cover my wisdom teeth.. But anyways I believe they gave coverage back to the adults a year later.. (not sure what it covers) but I've been scared to go. I'm scared to know whats wrong with my teeth. My two top wisdom teeth are falling apart big time.. theres hardly any of them left.. My gums are bad. I don't think the dentist should be able to critizize me for my teeth. I Know they should be healthier.. but they should just help me.

But today I decided enough is enough! I shouldn't let fear effect my teeth anymore. Its not worth it.. and I decided if they are gonna make me feel bad about my teeth there is other dentists.. plus I need to be a example to my kids.. show them going to the dentist is important.. especially my oldest.. he refuses to go (he has never been)

so today I left a message that I wanted to set up appts for all my kids and possibly myself (depending if medicaid will cover it) Even if I cant get my wisdom teeth taken care of.. get a cleaning and cavaties filled.. my biggest fear is finding something seriously wrong :(

sorry for rambling on.. just another words .. this is a huge fear for me and I'm scared but I decided I gotta do it!
    Dental health is VERY VERY important!!! If your gums become diseased, not only will you lose your teeth and get bone degeneration, but it's a big indicator that you can get/have heart inflammation too!!! And that's one of the biggest reasons for heart disease itself!!!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As someone who had never been to a dentist in their entire life, ever, until I was 21, I hear you!! My teeth were just very crooked (gaps in the front teeth, impacted lowers, etc.). It was something I was VERY self-conscious about growing up. When I was 21, I took my parents up on an offer to get me braces. Due to finances, they could never afford it when I was younger, so now that they're doing well for themselves, they got my braces as a gift to me. The first visit was awful...I had 4 cavities, which I got taken care of on the next visit, and luckily my dentist was a very nice woman who didn't "criticize" me at all...she just cleaned my teeth, scheduled me an appointment to get the cavities filled, and when I asked her for a good orthodontist, she gave me his card. I had to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed before I could get the braces, which I did, and since I don't have insurance, it cost me over $2,020 for all of them to be removed...and I didn't get put to sleep or take laughing gas or anything, since that would have cost even more. I did a local, and that was it. Then I got the braces put on 2 weeks later. I just got them off last year, day before Thanksgiving. Trust me when I say, whatever they tell you...even if they criticize you, or you may not like what they have to say...GO ANYWAY!! I wouldn't give up my new smile for anything in the world! :happy: I have some gum damage, as well...my gums are very puffy ever since a few months before I got my braces taken out. But switching the brand of floss that I use and using a toothbrush with a gum-scrubber thing is helping.

Also, I've heard that the younger you are, the faster you'll heal when you get your wisdom teeth taken out. Food for thought. :flowerforyou:
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hate the dentist too. But it gets much easier to go if you establish a relationship with one provider. If the one you go to talks down to you or lectures you about not going for so long, find a new one. There's many out there and it's hard enough to go without being belittled! Once I got to know my dentist a little, I'm not nearly as worked up about going. Also, I finally went and had an orthodontic evaluation (at my dentist's suggestion) and finally have decent looking teeth...still got a full metal mouth but I'm sooooo glad I finally started going to the dentist. :) I'm so proud of my smile now.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options

Dental health is VERY VERY important!!! If your gums become diseased, not only will you lose your teeth and get bone degeneration, but it's a big indicator that you can get/have heart inflammation too!!! And that's one of the biggest reasons for heart disease itself!!!

I know this!!! A big reason I'm making myself go! Hopefully its not too late
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    As someone who had never been to a dentist in their entire life, ever, until I was 21, I hear you!! My teeth were just very crooked (gaps in the front teeth, impacted lowers, etc.). It was something I was VERY self-conscious about growing up. When I was 21, I took my parents up on an offer to get me braces. Due to finances, they could never afford it when I was younger, so now that they're doing well for themselves, they got my braces as a gift to me. The first visit was awful...I had 4 cavities, which I got taken care of on the next visit, and luckily my dentist was a very nice woman who didn't "criticize" me at all...she just cleaned my teeth, scheduled me an appointment to get the cavities filled, and when I asked her for a good orthodontist, she gave me his card. I had to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed before I could get the braces, which I did, and since I don't have insurance, it cost me over $2,020 for all of them to be removed...and I didn't get put to sleep or take laughing gas or anything, since that would have cost even more. I did a local, and that was it. Then I got the braces put on 2 weeks later. I just got them off last year, day before Thanksgiving. Trust me when I say, whatever they tell you...even if they criticize you, or you may not like what they have to say...GO ANYWAY!! I wouldn't give up my new smile for anything in the world! :happy: I have some gum damage, as well...my gums are very puffy ever since a few months before I got my braces taken out. But switching the brand of floss that I use and using a toothbrush with a gum-scrubber thing is helping.

Also, I've heard that the younger you are, the faster you'll heal when you get your wisdom teeth taken out. Food for thought. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote

That is awesome!!!!

yeah I hope they heal fast..but not sure how soon i'll be able to get them out..but plan on getting whatever else I can get done now
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi. I grew up similarly - the dentist was an expense my parents wasteful and needless, since dentures last for years. I began going to the dentist as an adult, and my mouth is full of fillings and crowns. Here's my advice to you: when you make the appointment to see the dentist, tell the receptionist that your mouth is a mess and you're nervous about seeing the dentist. When you go for your first appointment, say the same to the hygenest and to the dentist. If they know you're serious about working on your teeth, they'll be supportive and helpful. If they aren't, find a new dentist. You can get recommendations from friends, or look specifically for a dentist that specializes in working with folks who are a little nervous - check out the ads in your local yellow pages. Good luck!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Hi. I grew up similarly - the dentist was an expense my parents wasteful and needless, since dentures last for years. I began going to the dentist as an adult, and my mouth is full of fillings and crowns. Here's my advice to you: when you make the appointment to see the dentist, tell the receptionist that your mouth is a mess and you're nervous about seeing the dentist. When you go for your first appointment, say the same to the hygenest and to the dentist. If they know you're serious about working on your teeth, they'll be supportive and helpful. If they aren't, find a new dentist. You can get recommendations from friends, or look specifically for a dentist that specializes in working with folks who are a little nervous - check out the ads in your local yellow pages. Good luck!

yeah I realized my kids were starting to be like me.. My oldest is 9 and never been.. neither has my daughter at 8.. my twins have only because it was required by the preschool a few years ago. but I decided I can't let it drag out much longer.. It took all I had to leave a message for the dentist office today..but I did it.. and I will make a appt and go! My 9 year old will be a will problem he will kick and scream but I will make sure someone goes before him and I'll be right by him.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Don't worry pooping is natural and normally not painful if you don't eat too much protein and not enough fiber.