Quesadilla Maker

Since I started my diet I have been craving mexican food!!!! I saw a quesadilla maker the other day at Walmart but am looking for ideas on what is super healthy that I can put in the quesadillas?? I am also worried that I need to add spices. what should I use??

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    start with lean chicken breast. Add almost whatever else you like.

Beans, reduced fat cheese, salsa, avocado, peppers, tomatoes, onions...

I keep whole wheat tortilla shells and tyson fully cooked chicken breast strips in the house at all times for when I need something quick and easy, or when I'm just too lazy to try any harder. A little reduced fat cheese for a lighter meal, black beans, cheese and salsa for more calories.

I just heat em up in the oven. A quesadilla maker might be faster, but I'm not sure it would actually do much of anything different than my oven does.

• kristennwinter
    kristennwinter Posts: 100 Member
    I have a quesadilla maker too! It's super easy. although you can probably save yourself $40 and just make 'em in the oven instead. :)

I usually put cheese and veggies in between two tortillas. you can add whatever spices you want, although not necessary if you don't want to!!
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    I bought an almost new one at a yard sale for $2.00. Shop around until you find a deal! It's a great option! Use low-carb high fiber tortillas for an even bigger impact!

Downfall, you still have to grill chicken before you make the quesadilla! Make extra and have ready for a quick meal!!!

Laura
    :happy:
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    I rarely used mine! Made them on a griddle instead
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Hmmm. I am never heard of a quesadilla maker. I just make mine in a skillet.
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    The quesadilla makers are not worth the money! Save yourself!!! If the cheese oozes out the edges, its almost impossible to clean! I used mine a handfull of times, I couldn't get the burnt on cheese off, so I pitched it!

use the oven, and line your pan with foil, so much easier to clean and to make!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    I agree with the other posters, don't bother with the quesadilla maker - just use the skillet, oven or a toaster oven. I do use non-stick cooking spray when I make them in the oven - takes about 15-20 minutes, just make sure you flip them halfway through.

i fill mine with a variety of things - just depends on what we have on hand. Here's a few ideas: shredded chicken breast, shredded roast meat (london broil, chuck, etc..), ground turkey, jalepenos, cheese, beans, etc... Usually top it with avocado and hot sauce - YUM!

When I make quesadillas I make a bunch of them so there are plenty of leftovers for lunches.
  • jasperrains
    jasperrains Posts: 9 Member
    Let me step out of the norm here. BUY the maker! We love ours. We have used it in weight loss for a long time. It is not so messy unless you just don't use it correctly. You can make yummy low cal stuff. I use cooking spray or butter spray on the outside to lower calories. The maker is quicker than the oven and a bonus is it is already cut into portions for you when you are done! :) Use lowfat cheese but we do mushroom and pepper quesadillas or the chicken ones. You can do ground turkey or chicken as well. I say it is a good investment. We use it and our magic bullet all the time in our diet plans.