Too Much sugar? Help Please

Options
How am I supposed to stay under 29 sugar grams and eat 4+ servings of fruit a day? If I eat a half of a peach I'm pretty close to my daily allowance. For someone who loves fruit, this is super hard. What are you guys doing to curb your sugar?

Replies

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Eat less fruit. Sorry! If you're trying to lose weight, sugar is sugar.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Im not scared of sugar. Just another carbohydrate to me
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Not a drn thing.
  • sdrabor
    sdrabor Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    29 grams a day?? I'm on low carb and mine is set for 30 max at a time/meal, and 110 for the whole day. I thought THAT was limiting!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about natural sugars (fruits, milk, etc), but I do pay attention to processed sugars, which are all over the place.

Foods in their natural form are rarely bad for you (in moderation). Its the man-made calories and overly processed stuff that you should pay attention to.

IMO.

• Chunky_As_Charged
    Options
    Try to focus on sugars that are typical "snack food". The sugars in fruit aren't that bad for you. They are complex which means that it takes your body longer to break them down, which makes them less likely to be absorbed. The issue with a lot of sugar when dieting is the carb amounts. However, fruits generally have a good amount of fiber in them, which negates the sugar your body will absorb.

Now if you went and had the same amount of sugar in the form of cookies... Then you should be concerned. But don't worry too much about the sugar you gain from fruits.

Hope this helps!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar, especially when it's from fruit!

Fruit = fiber and nutrients!!!

Unless you have a medical condition that requires you count every sugar no matter the source, I believe that fruit should be unlimited (still tracked, of course, just eaten to satisfaction).
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Im not scared of sugar. Just another carbohydrate to me

I'm not scared of any old ghost. Just another call to the ghostbusters to me.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's calories in, calories out more than one kind of calorie or another. Processed sugars burn off quickly and make you hungry, but frsh fruit is full of fiber that helps fill you up. Pick a reasonable diet that works for you. My afternoon banana is essential to keeping me full for only 125 calories. Beef jerky just doesn't work as well for me.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I try to think more about REFINED sugar instead of natural sugar. If I'm going to have sugar, I want it to be as natural as possible. The body needs fruits and veggies. Processed sugar won't do the same things natural sugar will do for you. :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    quit worrying about your sugar numbers.

a carb is a carb when it comes to body composition.

count your macros for the day (carbs/protein/fats)
    dont worry about anything else.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar won't do the same things natural sugar will do for you. :)

Source?
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    Try to focus on sugars that are typical "snack food". The sugars in fruit aren't that bad for you. They are complex which means that it takes your body longer to break them down, which makes them less likely to be absorbed. The issue with a lot of sugar when dieting is the carb amounts. However, fruits generally have a good amount of fiber in them, which negates the sugar your body will absorb.

Now if you went and had the same amount of sugar in the form of cookies... Then you should be concerned. But don't worry too much about the sugar you gain from fruits.

Hope this helps!

Actually I'm pretty sure fruit is a simple carb. Complex carbs are whole wheat bread, brown rice etc.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    I try to think more about REFINED sugar instead of natural sugar. If I'm going to have sugar, I want it to be as natural as possible. The body needs fruits and veggies. Processed sugar won't do the same things natural sugar will do for you. :)

um might not be the same, but excessive fruit will make you fat too.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    It's calories in, calories out more than one kind of calorie or another. Processed sugars burn off quickly and make you hungry, but frsh fruit is full of fiber that helps fill you up. Pick a reasonable diet that works for you. My afternoon banana is essential to keeping me full for only 125 calories. Beef jerky just doesn't work as well for me.

Makes sense :)
  • linabinaboo
    Options
    You shouldn't limit yourself to just 30g a day. Processed and refined sugar is bad, but natural sugar is alright. However, then again, all things in moderation. sugar is a pure carbohydrate, but you body does need some sugar. My advice, continue eating a variety of lean meats, vegetables, grains, and fruits. You say you have 3 a day, that's great! Wonderful. Perfect. Keep doing that! Just try to avoid added sugar... (:
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, I was really worried about this because I've heard so many different things like "You can eat as many fruits and veggies as you want in a day" to "limit the amount of sugar (natural and processed) because it turns to carbs, which in turn turns to fat."

I'm not sure if it's affecting me negatively because I haven't had my first weigh in since starting on this sight. I think I need to adjust the amount listed here like someone mentioned. One peach practically reaches my limit! Didn't seem right at all.