hard to lose weight

Options
I know they say when you reach 40 it is hard to lose weight. I just never knew it would be this hard

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    yup :grumble:

sucks doesnt it
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    Will never lose weight with that mentality. I am 39 was stuck in a zone and now I broke through it with healthy eating and my usual workout ethics. It's hard because you make it hard for your body to lose it by the food you eat. That's my testimony and I am sticky to it :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Just take one step at a time and remember this is a process!!!
  • TobiasJamesRayner
    Options
    It shoudnt matter what your age is dont believe it to be hard work and it want be
  • kymevans
    kymevans Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you in the struggle but keep at it and soon you will see results.
    I realize when i exercise I lose and when i don't I put the weight right back on, I've put myself on 1200
    b/c they say we don't need as many calories when we get older, seems to be working
    plus i eat more protein than carbs which keeps me full.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and it's hard to lose weight!

It's a lot of work... a lot of hard work.. but it's definitely worth it to see results and be healthier.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's much more difficult to lose weight at 35+, then 40+ so on & so forth - I shot myself in the foot by not taking control earlier, but I'd better do it now because it's not going to get any easier. Don't give up - it's not impossible - just really, really uncomfortable! Good luck! :-)
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Yup, it's hard. But.........YOU CAN DO IT! Just don't let anything stand in your way. You know how to do it and what you need to do in order for it to happen, so just DO IT. Good luck!
  • 57jewels
    57jewels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: I agree! I'm 53 & it gets harder every year. 1 thing that helps me though is to remember to decease my calorie allotment as I lose weight, and try to up my exercise. Increase activity = increased calorie burn.
    Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hard when you're 32, I'm finding. I have to keep in mind it took me 15 years to go from 175 to 235. I expect to get back down to that in 2 years, which is long, but not as long as 15!
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 52 it is hard to loose but patience is the key. I've lost 26 lbs sense January. I just keep working out. You can do it just keep eating right and working out. Strength training is good. i started with low impact like water aerobics and yoga (boy is yoga a work out) Then I moved into some core work out classes and now I do a strength class and a step class. You need to change things up or I just added them on. I still do my aqua class and yoga once a week. The main thing is even if you don't see 2 lbs a week coming off maybe it is only half a pound don"t give up. Your only 40 so your a head of the game so by the time your in your fifties you'll just need to maintain.
    Stephanie
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, life is better when you feel better.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    God bless your heart. Yes, your body metabolism changes, but is re-revving the engine is very very doable. I had been struggling and stuck for years, then a friend turned me on to this site, which has been a tremendous assistance in discipling myself to make it happen. After years of being "naturally" thin with an apparently high metabolism, I was lacking in the discipline necessary to stay at a healthy weight. Now, I have to make a conscious effort .. but it has been a wonderful journey here on MFP.

As always, it is about the math.... put less calories in than you burn, and make it a lifestyle change for an all around healthier you. Make small changes that add up so they become healthy habits. The food program here is also a wonderful tool for monitoring your mineral levels, which for me personally, has been extremely helpful in helping me get on track with proper amounts of calcium and potassium, which my previous lifestyle choices sadly lacked.

Good luck ... As a forty-something year old mother who never really beleived the myth .. the last couple years have been an eye opener! However, learn from the changes, do not let them defeat you!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hard but not impossible. I'm 44 and was thin most of my life,. When I was younger I would gain weight over the winter and it would just come off with no effort by summer time. then the weight started hanging on and I had to find this web site to make a difference. It is harder losing weight but you can do it. determination is the key. good luck. add me as a friend if you'd like.