My one year anniversary w/pics

Options
So today marks one year since my husband I decided to change our lifestyle. I honestly can't believe it's been a year. We've had our ups and downs (thankfully, mostly downs... pun intended lol), but currently we are at a standstill so I'm hoping that writing this and maybe motivating someone out there will get me back in the spirit and I can finish this long journey and get to my goal.

The particulars: my starting weight when I started MFP was 291, but last June I saw the scale at 304 at my yearly doctor's appointment. So somehow I managed to lose 15 pounds June-October before we actually started "dieting"... We had pretty smooth sailing at first, the pounds were coming off, and I actually started *gasp* enjoying exercise. I started out small, doing Wii Fit, and worked my way up to the 30 day shred and Turbo Jam. We also walked the dog outside A LOT. My favorite thing about using MFP is that we don't have to give up our favorite foods, we can still eat what we want, just in moderation. I've always said our problem is portion control, and that was confirmed for me when we started losing weight by simply counting our calories and exercising. We both lost around 60 pounds in 8 months.

But then we were victims of the economy and my husband was laid off from his job in June. This hit him hard and he sort of fell into a depression and had no interest in exercising anymore. Then he couldn't find work near home so he was forced to travel out of town during the week and come home on the weekends so it was hard for me to do it on my own (yes, I know I am lucky he was doing it with me at all).. but anyway, long story short, he finally found a job but it is less than ideal and he drinks a lot of soda again, which I think contributed the most to his weight gain again. He put 20 of his 60 pounds back on. Surprisingly, I have only gained 4 pounds since we stopped being serious about dieting, but I soooo want to get back into it and get him and myself motivated again.

I am so unbelievably proud of us for accomplishing what we did, but I know we can finish this. When I look at the original goals I set out for myself a year ago, it makes me sad to think that I could (should) be near my goal of 100 pounds by this point in time, and the fact that I'm still 40-50 pounds from that, makes me mad that I've wasted the last 4 months. Buuuut on the other hand, I have to say that I am still proud of myself for basically maintaining for the past 4 months, since i've only gained a few pounds back. Makes me not so scared about maintaining when I do get to my goal. AND I WILL get to my goal!

So the long and short of it is: I am so happy that we decided to take this journey together and I wouldn't change that for anything. I just hoped we'd be further along after a year, but I know this is a lifestyle change and won't happen over night, so we just need to keep working at it.

Edit: I forgot to include some of the reasons I am proud of my progress.
- Jeans - from a size 24 to size 18
- Shirts - from a size 3X to regular XL!
- Chest - from a 44DD to a 38C
- We also completed two 5Ks this year... a year ago, I could barely walk around our block without feeling like I was going to die.

Here are some pics of my journey:
241polka.jpg

241toystory.jpg

june2010may2011.jpg

july2010june2011.jpg

aug10june11.jpg

Replies

• jnettiedotson
    Options
    You look amazing :), thanks for the inspiration!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Dont' think about what you 'haven't lost!' Look at how completely different you look and feel now. You totally look like you lost way more than you have! Excellent job and what a great outlook!

Cheers!
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    You look wonderful! Look at what you've accomplished, don't be sad or mad you're not there yet, look at what you, and only you, have done!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the weight lost. Just look how far you have come - do you really want to go back to your old habits again. It does get hard and frustrating sometimes. Believe me, I know - I am a single mother of 2 babies, and it is hard to find time to do anything besides work and take care of them. Just start forcing yourself to go for walks, then it becomes a habit again. I have had to do this several times to get me out of depression stages. I am also going to post a comparison picture in my bathroom as a constant reminder of where I have come, so I never go back to those old habits again. Just remember, we are here for you, and you CAN do anything you put your mind too.
  • DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember.. IT'S NEVER TO LATE. So what you took a few months off.
    I look at it this way in a month I lost 10lbs... did it take me a month to gain those 10lbs.... NO. You look great! With the help of MFP and your good intentions you CAN do it! Congrats for being on MFP for a whole year!
    Now that you and your husband are focused jump back on!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!! Great job!

I have that black and white dress and love it... Makes you feel so pretty! :)
  • sabrinag6005
    Options
    I loved reading your story. It is a long journey and you definetly should be proud of yourself for maintaining your WL. We all wish it happened faster, but that's just not real life. Be proud of who you are and what you've done how many people can say they've lost 60lbs in a yr??? not me... So way to go,, keep up the good work and keep us posted!
  • sabrinag6005
    Options
    I loved reading your story. It is a long journey and you definetly should be proud of yourself for maintaining your WL. We all wish it happened faster, but that's just not real life. Be proud of who you are and what you've done how many people can say they've lost 60lbs in a yr??? not me... So way to go,, keep up the good work and keep us posted!
  • TamJohn2011
    TamJohn2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've done a great job! Keep up the good work!

:smile:
  • aenriquez30
    aenriquez30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Remember that we will all have mini defeats throughout our journey and we must accept that. Being successful means that we overcome those mini defeats and move forward! Accepting momentary failure is ok!! The key is to bounce back up quickly and move forward!

You are an inspiration. Keep on going!
  • meg811
    meg811 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really am proud of what we've accomplished. And I will eventually get to my goal. I love feeling this way and NEVER want to go back to where we came from! I look at the "before" pictures and am so thankful we finally saw the "light" and decided to change our lifestyle. I wish success for each of you as well!
  • 135Lillee
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! Great job! Just remember progress is progress, regardless of how long it takes to get there as long as you are moving forward you should be very proud!!!! Keep up the good work!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You guys did a great job! Life definitely kicks our butts sometimes. For me, when I'm depressed or sad I fall back into bad eating and laziness because, well, I'm a grownup, too old for my mom to baby me, so I just baby myself. In this past go-round I have been successfull getting back on track by telling myself two things:

1. Yes I do need to take care of myself

2. Eating right and getting exercise IS taking care of myself.

It's kind of a mental game, but it is helping me feel more like making good choices, and feeling less deprived/angsty when I do.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    you look so great!

Go you!
  • copykatnjesus
    copykatnjesus Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't even sweat it, you look great!! You already know you can pick up right
    where you left off. You're young and have your whole life ahead of you. Get
    back on the horse and you can live the rest of your life fit & free! Good luck!
  • wwinn18
    wwinn18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    don't even sweat it! you've done an amazing job and you look fantastic!! who cares if you didn't reach 100lbs?? you still did great and i know i'd feel great if I had done that! keep going girl!
  • Gspice3
    Gspice3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Whoohooo!!!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your loss Meg811
  • kristitampl
    kristitampl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great Job! You look amazing!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!