weighing more than once a week???

Options
well i dont normally do it, but i decided 2 wi b4 my normal day which is on thurs evenings and i have been so good all week exercised every day and ate my 1200 calories and today had a 2 or 3 lb gain...very frustrating..i know ive already drank 48oz of water, 12oz diet coke and a slimfast and had a 475 cal lunch so its all of that its just frustrating i dont know how u all do it....im not ever doing that again....just wanted 2 post that its not good 2 wi more than once a week

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...I only log on Friday morning but I can't seem to stay off the scale....Do I need therapy:embarassed:
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    I weigh every day too. It's good to understand how my eating the day before affected the scale.
  • caffn8d
    caffn8d Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself every day first thing in the morning, but I only log it in on Monday mornings. I think by weighing in every day it helps me keep on track.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I weight myself multiple times each day... I enjoying seeing how my body weight fluctuates throughout the day... morning vs night, before work vs post, etc. However I use my first thing in the morning weight as my "official" weight.

If people aren't comfortable with the idea that your weight fluctuates hour to hour and day to day, and that what they should be paying attention to is the long term trends, then they probably shouldn't be weighing themselves.

Just my opinion.

• lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself *almost* everyday too.. BUT I will not weigh myself after I've put anything in my body...food or water!
  • bigprettygirl69
    bigprettygirl69 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning. Once you have eliminated and emptied your bladder that's that best time to weigh and do it every morning or each week in the mornings and you will see. When I would have afternoon appointments my weight would fluctuate as much as 5-6 pounds but my morning appointments. Also a side note as your body is changing and you gain muscle it is denser than fat. Give your body a chance to catch up to the changes. I hope that helps.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    My 'weigh day' is Monday morning before work. I don't have an accurate scale at my house LOL the one that I have is an old style 'ticker type' and you need to be right on top of it to see if you lost a pound with no way to measure 1/2 pounds, let alone tenths. I weigh at my mom's on her digital... that being said I have totally fallen victim to the "I'm at mom's, I'm gonna see how I am doing even tho it is only Thursday" game:wink: . I don't record it or count it tho. Last week it slapped me in the face BIG TIME. I got on the scale Saturday morning while letting her dog out, I was down 4.5#!!! I was soooo excited that when my husband said, "Amber, you are going to kick yourself if you eat that SECOND chocolate donut" I told him not to worry, I was fine:devil: . The same went for making breakfast Sunday morning and eating all that my hubby and kid did... Monday morning I got on the scale and was down 2:cry: . Yup, that is GREAT... however I had gained 2 the week before due to some less than stellar choices. So the moral of my story is... weighing during the week can be DANGEROUS. Maybe not for ALL but definately for ME... IF you are UP then you are depressed, IF you are DOWN then you get too cocky. Weight loss is hard enough without adding stress to yourself :blushing:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Actually, I used to weight multiples times a day. Yesterday, I was just so frustrated with the scale that I put it away. I have truely become addicted to the scale, and I am/was allowing the number to dictate how I feel. I need to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing on the tape measure and how my clothes fit. I am trying to break my addiction, but I do see what you are saying.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Verdict - GUILTY of weighing myself every day. Record once a week, but that scale is challenged every day.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and in the evening just to see how my weight fluctuates, doing this I get a better idea of what my actual weight is. But I only log my weight once a week.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh yourself in the mornings after you use the bathroom. Foods we eat throughout the day weigh different amounts, regardless of how many calories are in them. For example- I eat a very large sweet potato and drink about 48 oz of water for lunch often. If I weighed right after lunch I would be up almost two pounds. And that stuff is very low cal. Weighing yourself in the morning will allow a more consistent trend on your weightloss.
  • justme84x
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with the number on the scale. I would weigh in every day!! But I would always find myself getting sad when I know I ate well and exercised hard and the number went up...so after many years of being frustrated and on and of again "dieting" I have decided to weigh in every 3 weeks. I am just starting out on my weight loss journey again so I am nowhere near my goal and only want to use the scale to make sure I'm on track :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday. It holds me more responsible for what I'm putting in my mouth. I find that if I wait until the end of the week to weigh, I don't think about what I'm eating through the week.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself all day long. before I pee in the morning after I pee in the morning after I work out after a big glass of water, when my feet/legs look puffy etc etc. I only count my Tuesday morning weigh in (after I pee) though because it fluctuates so much. I weighed 2.5 pounds more this morning before I peed. CRAZY !

The point is don't drive yourself crazy with the scale. Record your weight once a week. Weigh yourself same time-same place. I really can't talk because of my own scale obsession, but today my scale is my best friend. I finally lost weight this week after plateauing the past 5 weeks.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I weight in 3 or 4 times. Others only once. You gotta remember your body retains water throughout the day. So naturally your weight is going to go up and down. My official weight in is Monday mornings. First thing I do.
  • sgibney78
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about it just for the sake of worrying about it. I used to weight myself everyday but then I started realizing when I lost weight I’d treat myself with food. When I gained weight I’d feel crummy and frustrated and treat myself with food. The scale never generated a positive attitude. Now I only weight myself once a week. I’m thinking of switching to once a month.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Scales are deceptive. As long as you are doing everything you supposed to be doing to make your goals, you'll be fine. I personally weigh myself everyday but I know going in that my weight can fluctuate back and forth. I think the key is to weigh yourself at the same time everyday and use the same set of scales.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and in the evening just to see how my weight fluctuates, doing this I get a better idea of what my actual weight is. But I only log my weight once a week.
    Same here...I want to see fluctuations based on what I did that day or the day before....not just one number, once a week. It absolutely keeps me on track...when its up a little, I'm motivated to work harder and eat better, and when its lower, I'm motivated to keep at it because the progress makes me so happy. I'm not obsessive though, and don't let fluctuations ruin my day...I just try to learn from them.

On a side note...why are you weighing in after eating and drinking all day? You should probably pick a morning weigh in, as that's generally more accurate. I weigh after working out sometimes, and two bottles of water creates a significant jump in the scale.