Feeling cold

Options
Bit of a random question I guess but it's driving me mad!

This time lst year I was 90lbs heavier and constantly hot, everyone used to comment on how warm I was and how little clothing I wore...

Skip to this year, much lighter and constantly cold! Even after exercise I can be sweating but my hands and feet are cold! I am wondering if it is just the effects of being sooo much lighter and having to acclimatise to my new body and wear more (!) or whether it could be that I'm just not fuelling my body enough to keep me warm?

Any ideas?

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    That's a very interesting question...have no idea, but I have been feeling cold more lately also...so interesting in knowing what others have to say.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was about 60 pounds heavier at this time last year and for the first time in my life I am cold natured; I chalk it up to losing my "insulation". Good job on the 90 pounds...wear that jacket, long sleeve shirt or blanket as a badge of honor!
  • emandbensmom
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. I have lost just shy of 60 pounds since the beginning of spring and I am constantly cold. I did some research on it and found that indeed it is due to the weight loss. I now keep an extra wool sweater at my office and a blanket in my car. LOL! I 'd rather be cold than fat any day!!
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been freezing lately just put it down to losing my thermal lining lol
  • kgattoh
    Options
    My guess is that this is your body not yet adjusted to being 90 lbs lighter. I too have lost over 100 lbs and the newer, lighter me is cold all the time. (and i live in Minnesota and used to run around without a coat on in the winter. Now I am freezing!)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I was always hot, and now I'm always cold. In the middle of summer (when the temps were regularly over 100), I still slept with an electric blanket. I told my friend this and he said it's a myth that fat has anything to do with how hot or cold you are. I said "okay, so then why do bears fatten up before winter?" Science. I think we're totally normal.
  • mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    are you ok on iron?
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it has to do with all the weight you have lost. I was the same way. This time last year, I was 55 lbs heavier and always hot - you wouldn't find a sweater in my closet and all my jackets were thin. 55 lbs down, and I am already in sweaters for the year. I went to the goodwill this past week to get some because I was getting cold at work - from someone how has always been hot-natured my whole life. So, I would say it has to do with the amount of fat that has been lost - I will take being cold though over being 55 lbs heavier.:smile:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because of the weight loss.

I'm always feeling cold. I've never had a huge change in weight so I can't say in that factor but I know I'm very cold often and I know of plenty of other people who are the same.
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    are you ok on iron?

I take a multivit as we're ttc no 2 but don't take a designated iron supplement... would that help?
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    are you ok on iron?

This what I was thinking. I was 200+ and always cold, my iron is low. If losing weight makes you cold I am going to be an ice cube all winter. lol Anyway, not sure how to check your iron without a Dr.
    Good Luck, stay warm!
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    Remember fat is an insulator and therefore of course it was keeping you warmer!

If you are concerned you might not be getting enough fuel - check your basal metabolic rate (how many calories your body requires to function even if you are just resting all day). You can get a rough idea of this using an online calculator or your gym may be able to give you a more acurate personal reading using a BodyStat machine.

Finally, if this problem persists and you are concerned there may be another underlying concern - talk to your doctor. They can do blood tests to check for iron levels and also to check if you have an underactive thyroid.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'd have my iron levels checked. Although, you're taking a multi-vitamin; it may not be enough. When your blood work is done, your iron levels are broken down into classifications. One of those classifications may be low. I went through this a few years ago and had to have iron infusions. I researched the way iron is absorbed so that I can keep my levels steady.
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    are you ok on iron?

This what I was thinking. I was 200+ and always cold, my iron is low. If losing weight makes you cold I am going to be an ice cube all winter. lol Anyway, not sure how to check your iron without a Dr.
    Good Luck, stay warm!

I am a blood donor and have been twice in a row turned away for low iron levels... i am due to donate next week so I guess I'll find out then!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I was always the first one freezing until I put on the weight.
    I wasn't sure whether to blame it on the weight or age.

-B
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is probably from the loss (and congrats on that!) but just in case you might want to get your thyroid checked.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. My coworkers laugh at me because I'm walking around indoors in lined boots over wool socks over athletic socks, thermal underwear (top & bottom), heavy pants & sweater, fur lined hoody and fingerless gloves. I'm going to dread the winter (Michigan). Wonder if I can get away with bringing in my fluffy comforter :laugh:
  • SteffiLoulou
    SteffiLoulou Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are really not alone. This time last year I was bout 70+pound heavier. I had been heavy for years and havent actually owned a winter coat in a very long time! No need. This year however I will be getting one as I too am feeling the cold. It is a weird sensation lol, but I will get used to it. As long as you eat right and keep yourself wrapped up you should be fine but I think it is due to losing alot of 'insulation' as my boss called it. I explained how cold I felt to him and he is a huge fitness freak and said that I probably wasnt ill and it is just my body actually feeling the cold for the first time in years. So don't worry :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all animals in cold climates will try to put on lots of fat before the winter. It's a great insulator (and energy reserves since food tends to be more scarce).