How Important IS breakfast??

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

Yea except for the part where I like to eat with my family....

I do believe I have the giggles now.

I should add this to my soapbox speech: "Meal timing is irrelevant unless you like to eat with your family".

LOL
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast if your body is telling you to eat breakfast. It's part of intuitive eating.

When I wake up in the morning, I am hungry. I also get cranky if I don't eat within an hour. I also eat more later if I don't sate my hunger early.

But those statements may not apply to you.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat breakfast until about 1-2 hours after I wake up. For me, I'm rarely hungry when I wake up. It takes my brain a while to wake up and the only things that come to mind is pee and shower, not at the same time.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I do believe I have the giggles now.

I should add this to my soapbox speech: "Meal timing is irrelevant unless you like to eat with your family".

LOL

Haha feel free to steal it. Soapboxes must be used for something if not soap!
  • darlandbaird
    darlandbaird Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I always eat a very light supper around 5-6 pm and then after I am off work my breakfast is around 12 am-1am and then I eat a snack like fruit around 9 am.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me try to summarise this...

Breakfast will not "boost your metabolism". Eating breakfast will biologically make no difference at all in terms of weight loss/speed of weight loss. This has been proven many times. The old "breakfast is the most important meal of day" is an oft-touted myth.

Same with meal timing. Biologically you could eat 6 small meals a day, or all your daily allowance right before bed. It makes no difference. Again, there have been many studies into this.

Many people however find that eating breakfast/6 small meals helps THEM control their urges, make healthier choices, and generally makes weight loss feel easier to manage. If this is you, then great! Go for it! You've found a way to help!

But please, try to say that like engineman did. That's an opinion we respect, as he differentiated between what HELPS him, and what is medically actually happening.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Glad to see some folks here took what I said completely out of context and tried to twist it around to make a point.

Internet.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Breakfast in the morning is incredibly important. It gets your metabolism up earlier so it works harder throughout the day and increases your mood and attention early in the morning.

False. I ate 2 eggs this morning and I'm still sleepy and cranky. Next myth.....
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Don't be a dumb *kitten*. You weren't asking about whether or not it's relevant when you want to "eat with family" you were asking if it was important in terms of weight loss. Read your original post before being a smart *kitten*. Also, don't ask questions if you don't want the answer, stupid! :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Check my diary today. It's public.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Check my diary today. It's public.

Will do, thanks!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals means nothing. So do people who work nights just get screwed since they don't have a breakfast? Time of the food means nothing. Your body can do three things.. consume, store, and burn. Timing of food does nothing but fight cravings, if you aren't craving and want to wait awhile there is no reason to force yourself to eat.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Timing of food does nothing but fight cravings, if you aren't craving and want to wait awhile there is no reason to force yourself to eat.

Perfectly put. :D
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The only reason I eat breakfast and most of the time is just a shake a oatmeal, is because if I don't I am ravenous by lunch and I want to eat all in sight. I have also noticed that I am more alert and less sluggish. Ultimately you will do what is right for you and that is fine, it sounds like if you want to eat with your family (which to me is very important) you are going to have to make a modification to your eating habits.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic, and I was surprised to see the tide completely shift from the beginning of the thread (breakfast is extremely important) to the end (breakfast doesn't matter in the slightest). Where did all the people saying breakfast is SO important get off to?

I rarely eat breakfast and here's why:

1. I'm usually not hungry until much later in the day.
    2. When I eat breakfast, it makes me hungry again sooner than if I just skipped it
    3. I have less calories for later in the day, and I like going into the evening with the bulk of my calories left

It hasn't made any difference whatsoever to my progress.

Just my two cents.
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    Maybe you feel sick in the mornings and are not hungry because you're not used to having breakfast that early! I'd give it a try and start to "force"(as you say) myself to eat something light in the mornings until it'd be a routine, it wouldnt hurt!

Breakfast is important, even if not for weight loss it's important for productivity! Even though I know people who don't have breakfast and are skinny too, but it doesn't mean it's not important...
    I also know people that don't eat fruit and others that don't eat veggies, and they're skinny! But can you say that fruit and veggies are not important for a healthy lifestyle?!!

I believe that meal timing is relevant to control "hunger triggers", you should research about an hormone called ghrelin!

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/cravings-the-hunger-hormone-and-breakfast

Also, ghrelin seems to play an important role in regulating gastrointestinal motility...
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    While there is some basis in science that skipping breakfast makes your body crave high-calorie foods over lighter and thus perceived healthier options, as with all studies, it's a generalisation.

I know that when I used to skip breakfast... I'd pig out on sugary foods at lunchtime. Similarly, if I skipped lunch... I'd want to eat till I burst in the evening. That's the only reason I try now to eat regularly.

But the OP sounds like they have issues with eating early (as do I) and although I tend now to have breakfast between 8.30 and 9.30... I would be hard put to eat any earlier and I usually rise about 5.30.

I wouldn't force myself to eat anything I didn't want to nor would I recommend it to anyone, especially if they suffer from IBS.

However, if you want to try and coordinate your meals better with your family, why not have some fruit at 11, a light lunch (smaller portion) with your family at 12, dinner with them at 6 and then perhaps a light snack later in the evening.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Don't be a dumb *kitten*. You weren't asking about whether or not it's relevant when you want to "eat with family" you were asking if it was important in terms of weight loss. Read your original post before being a smart *kitten*. Also, don't ask questions if you don't want the answer, stupid! :flowerforyou:

i think we should all have to eat something before posting on the boards to avoid any hostility.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I'm amazed this thread is still going.

Breakfast has no noticeable effect on metabolism or pure fat burning.

If you find it helps you out in terms of cravings, making better choices, etc, then go ahead and eat.

If you have self-control and don't get/don't give into cravings, and don't want breakfast, then don't eat it.

What's the problem?
  • chicklet846
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry until noon, then I don't eat until noon. I don't buy into the meal timing stuff - like not eating after 8pm, etc. I just try to be intuitive with my eating!