Dinner at someone else's house?

Options
My boyfriend is coming home for Thanksgiving Break soon... We often have dinner at his house. However, his family often has pasta, burgers, polish sausage... Things super high cal that I know wouldn't fit into my diet! I don't want to be rude and not eat, but only eating a little bit isn't nearly filling enough for me. I feel weird asking her to see the packages from the food, too, to count my calories. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you stick to your diet when eating at someone else's house?

Replies

• BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this same thing this morning... I am interested in hearing how others handle this too.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could eat before you go, so you can just eat a little bit and not be hungry.

If you are close then you could ask to see the packages but I would just do my best to estimate.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If people are insulted that you're not eating food because you're trying to live a healthy lifestyle, they're the ones being rude, not you.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    was thinking maybe a few things very low in calories b4 you go. and just nibble. thats what i did last weekend when i went to a bday party
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go over to someone's house, and do my best guess to count the calories I have. Did it at a party this summer and it worked pretty well. My friends and family know I am watching what I eat so this helps
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    Offer to help out by bringing something. Then bring a veggie tray or sides that you know won't sabotage you. Or you can do the best at eat small portions and enjoy the day with friends with no thougthts about it. One day does not have to ruin the whole week.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If I have this situation arise I usually try to save as many calories as possible throughout the day, eat low cal things to save so that I can enjoy myself without worrying too much :smile:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If I know that I am heading somewhere that I am not going to be willing to eat much, I do a protein shake. Honestly, as someone else mentioned, if they are insulted by your choices, then they are being rude.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    perhaps you could bring a dish or two of healthy food :)
  • melmarler
    Options
    I would get their help calculating by seeing the packages or asking ingredients after explaining that you are tracking your food to try to lose weight/be healthier. They may ask lots of questions about what/how you are doing and end up joining MFP and be very supportive. I often have lunch with my ex's mom and she is always open to my tracking my food. She is one of my biggest supporters.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is coming home for Thanksgiving Break soon... We often have dinner at his house. However, his family often has pasta, burgers, polish sausage... Things super high cal that I know wouldn't fit into my diet! I don't want to be rude and not eat, but only eating a little bit isn't nearly filling enough for me. I feel weird asking her to see the packages from the food, too, to count my calories. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you stick to your diet when eating at someone else's house?

I totally relate to this issue. I have to say that it depends on the lengths you will go to take care of your nutritional needs.

For myself, I actually communicate with the person who is cooking the food and just level with them in being honest to say that I am working a food plan to reach a goal and I need to be sure that I am getting the foods I need to accomplish that.

Sometimes, I will bring my own food and have it on my plate (most people won't do that because they are afraid of what people will think) or if the person really cares about me, they are willing to help and let me know what they are cooking and agreeable to me bringing a few things to add to what the main protein source is.

Or, I will eat before I get there and just have salad or bare minimum so that I am still taking care of myself as well as not offending the hostess of the party.

Hope some of that helps. Thanks for the topic. Great question.
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    I eat before I go over to someone's house, and do my best guess to count the calories I have. Did it at a party this summer and it worked pretty well. My friends and family know I am watching what I eat so this helps

I do this all the time. I eat before a date and just order something light, or eat before dinner at my bf's family's house. I only have 10 lbs to lose so if I tell people I'm trying to lose weight or watch what I eat, they usually have some really un-encouraging comments for me and I'm a sucker for peer pressure. Fill up on fruits and veggies and then just have a taste of all that delicious sounding food!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems at my in-laws. I usually try to go for the healthier options (if any), eat a little of the sinful stuff and work out later if possible. I usually don't log calories but try to guesstimate on the go.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just eat. It's just one day. Enjoy life and time with friends and family.
  • KristinaD3
    Options
    My sister recently had us come over for dinner. Her husband made gumbo. I stopped at the store before I got there and bought things to make a salad. I used my baby as a decoy. I made a bowl of gumbo and played it off like I was feeding it to both of us only taking a few bites and then I ate my salad lol.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Eat a little something low cal before you go.

I always get some extra cardio in beforehand.

Remember, if you go over your calories once in a while, it does not make you a failure and will not ruin your weight loss journey. :-)
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree, bringing something you know you can eat is always a good idea and is always helpful at a party. For me though I just try to pick out the things I like and are not too bad for me, however these are the events that I use to indulge since I'm usually pretty good for the weeks leading up to big dinners/parties.

Remember everything in moderation. It's okay to have a cheat day every now and again.
  • brittharper123
    Options
    offer to bring a dish and make it a healthy one. if your having a burger dont hvae the bun just load on the veggies, if your having pasta then have 1 cup and 2 tbs of sauce if the sauce is already on it then cup your portion ect.....there are always ways around it with out hurting someones feelings. just portion yourrself the best you can. Skip dessert.
    For me i never deprive myself of anything i just watch my portion size or make better choices....
    for instance i LOVE dill pickle chips to munch on during a movie night with my husband instead of lays chips i get the dill pickle crispy minis and have 2 cups once i measure out my 2 cups i break them up so it seems like alot more then 2 cups im always satisfied.

Good luck :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring something too, ask what the menu is and then bring something low cal (like a turkey cutlets or sausage dish) that will fit into the menu. Have some of yours, a little of theirs.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Go and enjoy responsibly. You can not turn off life. Just eat small portions, and try to get an extra workout in. Bringing a tray of veggies is a great idea! I had a burger on sunday, and I still stayed under my calorie goals. I figured it was about a 1/4 pounder. So if you take veggies, and a small portion of what their main coarse is, you should be fine! Just have fun!