HRM Question - When do you stop yours?

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Well my HRM checks your recovery HR too (how many beats your HR comes down in the first minute after you stop working out) so I stop mine the second I stop moving.....I love seeing if I am getting in better shape based on how quickly my HR returns to normal!!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I start mine when I begin my 5 min warm-up and stop after my 5 min cool-down.

Same here.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I stop mine when my HR drops below 120. But I think I am going to make it 100 from now on. My HR drops a lot quicker now that I am getting in better shape. I'd like to prolong the count. :laugh:
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I stop mine when I stop moving.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I will wait until mine drops below 100, usually around 90-95.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of HRMs, I'm in the market for one--Which HRM do you recommend? What should I look for when I buy mine?

Love my Polar FT7, wife has the FT4 and honestly can't tell the difference, check on amazon.com much cheaper!
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am a tad bit OCD so I stop mine when I get to a certain point. If I have worked out and I am at like 136 I will stretch or do something to cool down until it gets to 150 then stop it, or something like that, I always workout to where my calories burned are at something even or easy to remember (such as 25, 50, 70, or even a solid 00 like 100, 200, etc.) I know I am strange my fiancee tells me that all the time. :)
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of HRMs, I'm in the market for one--Which HRM do you recommend? What should I look for when I buy mine?

Love my Polar FT7, wife has the FT4 and honestly can't tell the difference, check on amazon.com much cheaper!

I bought the New Balance N4 Pearl, It's for woman and I love it!! I just got it at target the other day and I enjoy using it, it seem to be very accurate and it has the chest straps that fits, I was worried they wouldn't but it does :) and it is not bulky and ugly :)
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's interesting reading the different replies! I suppose there isn't really a right or wrong, It's whatever suits you best.

I like what Juleseybaby said about bonus calories as I eat back my calories too, so hiding a few is a good way of making sure you don't over eat your calories!

I also have a Polar FT4, It's basic compared to some of the newer Polars, but it monitors my heart rate and tells me how many calories I've burned and thats all I need and I love it. If you want anything more, the other Polars are probably better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I have seen in other posts that HRMs that calculate calories burned assume higher O2 burns that only occur during phyisical activity. That being true, allowing your HRM to run when you aren't at a typical exercise exertion will overestimate calories burned.

Granted, the over estimation is probably minor, but we all bought these things to get a more accurate count of calories burned, right?

If you want to let the HRM run after you finish your workout, let your breathing be the determining factor in when you turn it off... not a somewhat arbitrary HR number.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I bought the New Balance N4 Pearl, It's for woman and I love it!! I just got it at target the other day and I enjoy using it, it seem to be very accurate and it has the chest straps that fits, I was worried they wouldn't but it does :) and it is not bulky and ugly :)

I have the same HRM. And I LOVE it! It is so easy to use and not bulky and the chest strap is barely noticeable when you're exercising. I even use mine in the pool.

And by the way, I usually stop mine once my heart rate gets under 100.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I stop mine right away... after my last stride, pedal stroke, rep, etc.

This. Sometimes I'll wait until I've cleaned the machine but that's only when I've forgotten.
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually stop mine after exercise. That includes cool-down if I'm still moving around (like a walking after a run). I like to look at my average heart rate during exercise so I try not to let it run too long when my heart rate isn't elevated.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I start mine when I start my 5 minute warmup and stop it before I cool down.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I have seen in other posts that HRMs that calculate calories burned assume higher O2 burns that only occur during phyisical activity. That being true, allowing your HRM to run when you aren't at a typical exercise exertion will overestimate calories burned.

Granted, the over estimation is probably minor, but we all bought these things to get a more accurate count of calories burned, right?

If you want to let the HRM run after you finish your workout, let your breathing be the determining factor in when you turn it off... not a somewhat arbitrary HR number.

Ahh... Scientific...

While that is true (even though I won't pretend to understand it completely :embarassed: ) I'm also sure that the body does burn calories at an elevated rate for a short while after exercise, so surely using your HR as an indicator as when to stop the HRM is just as good since it's never going to be precise anyway, a HM is just the best estimate we can get. I only say this because I could be walking at a slow pace, not elevating my breathing, but still raising my heartrate above 100 and burning calories.

Love your signature by the way!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Same as you, when I get down to 100 :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing cardio on a machine at the gym, I stop when I stop. If I'm lifting, I stretch afterwards and then stop it once I'm done stretching. Same thing for my strength routine at home. Stretch, THEN stop it.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I check mine and note the time and calories expended as soon as I finish my exercise. I don't turn it off until my heart rate gets back to normal (below 75, for me). I don't actually use the calorie number, because it's always higher than the MFP charts. (If I don't have higher numbers, I don't feel obligated to eat more. So far, so good.) Because I'm older (just shy of 60), I do feel obligated to monitor my heart rate during exercise. I tend to work near or a little above my calculated maximum heart rate. I hope that's okay, because it feels okay, and I want to work as hard as I can.
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I stop mine when my HR drops to 110ish or I get to the car.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been letting mine go until my HR gets within 10 of where I started, but I'm going to start hitting my lap button the minute I'm done with my cool down to see exactly how much I'm burning while moving and how much I'm burning while my HR drops.