Soda Addiction?

Options
I am incredibly addicted to Coca Cola soda. I have tried, and failed to give it up, and to be honest, I don't want to give it up. I love it! I drink at least 2-3 cans a day, and always have more in the fridge. When i don't drink it I get headaches or get shaky or can't wake up. I don't like coffee so I use it as a substitute for the caffeine as well. I know this isn't good for me when trying to lose weight, any suggestions?

Replies

• rottenmind
    Options
    Coke Zero?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking diet or regular? If you are drinking regular, are there any diet sodas that you could substitute? I try to stay away from chemical sweeteners, but if you want to keep your soda, that may be the best way.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Water.

I used to drink Coke like there was no tomorrow.

I quit cold turkey.
    Water water water water water water water
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Get a morning workout in to wake you up.
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    I increased my exercise level. With the extra exercise I was craving water -- and I am now left with 3 cases of Diet Dr. Pepper that I haven't touched in three months.
  • ladyarkham
    ladyarkham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If it's really hard to quit - switching to Diet would be a good first start, but you still don't want to be *that* dependent on caffeine or whatever - maybe try watering it down a little? Go a few days with pouring some of the soda out of the can and replacing it with water, maybe like an 8th of the can? And then a few days later pour a litlte more out, etc.?
  • eli1172
    Options
    I hear you. I had to go cold turkey too. I had to switch to iced tea with lemon and a little Splenda. That works for me. You won't ditch the pounds while drinking regular cokes. The sugar is off the chart.
  • eli1172
    Options
    I hear you. I had to go cold turkey too. I had to switch to iced tea with lemon and a little Splenda. That works for me. You won't ditch the pounds while drinking regular cokes. The sugar is off the chart.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas arent much better, in fact there is a ton of info on how it can keep you overweight. I kicked a diet coke habit....like prev person stated....water, water, water, water.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to give it up, don't. Otherwise you'll feel deprived, and be more likely to give up.

However, having said that, a couple suggestions:

- Cut back instead of quitting. Instead of 2-3 a day, try 1-2 and see how that goes. If that goes well, you can always cut back more later.
    - Try the diet sodas. Like a previous poster, I am not a fan of chemical sweeteners, but it might help.
    - Try other alternative drinks. I used to drink 3 liters of Mountain Dew a day, but now I only have 1-2 cans of soda a month, max. I've found I like unsweetened ice tea (if it isn't overbrewed and bitter), a homemade chai I make with no sugar (or almost none if I feel like sweetening it a little), and rooibos as alternatives.
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I started putting exercise in my daily routines, as well as drinking Crystal Light, sleeping more. I don't need caffeine as much as I did before. I would switch to a Zero, or diet version for a "daily" caffeine boost, & then just factor in regular pop into your normal calories as a treat.
  • alexsks
    alexsks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been there and I totally understand. I told my doctor that I prefer to drink nothing then to have a diet pop. He challenged me to drink diet pop for 1 month only and that if I did not like it, he would never bring it back into our conversation. It's been over 5 years now and I find regular pop way too sweet. And believe me at first diet pop made me want to throw up.

Try it
    :)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can get through the cold turkey of quitting caffeine - you may feel terrible for a few days and then it levels out. Or, just start drinking unsweetened tea.

I drink seltzer water to give that soft drink fizz without calories or artificial sweeteners.
  • wwinn18
    wwinn18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    honestly, drinking all that coke is a very bad idea. trust me, i have an addiction to drpepper and i have trouble Not drinking it when i want to. but for the past week i have strictly had water. i feel so much better...so it's motivating me to continue not drinking it. the best thing to do when trying to do is start off by drinking a lot less soda and drinking a lot more water. when your body gets used to having that much water it'll start craving it and you'll crave soda less. i'm to the point now where soda almost tastes like pure syrup...and none of us drink soda for the syrupy taste!!

a lot of people have said to drink diet soda or coke zero instead. i don't know much about coke zero, but i do know that diet is BAD for you. it has been proven that drinking diet soda over regular increases your chances of becoming obesse And will prevent you from loosing weight.

good luck to you!!
  • rottenmind
    Options
    I've lost weight and I drink a can of Coke Zero 2x a day...
  • rottenmind
    Options
    Diet sodas arent much better, in fact there is a ton of info on how it can keep you overweight. I kicked a diet coke habit....like prev person stated....water, water, water, water.
    I've lost weight and I drink a can of Coke Zero 2x a day...
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually one to preach abstenince but 300-450 Cal/day is A LOT of food to give up for somebody the size you appear in your pic. What's that, like 20% of your budget?

Since you flat-out say you don't want to quit, the only answer is moderation.
  • TriciaAnn81
    Options
    I LOVE Coke! Especially out of the fountain. Don't know why but I think it tastes better. I have a soda addiction. but instead of drinking regular Coke, I have been drinking Coke Zero. And that seems to satisfy my cravings.
  • tamiallen79
    Options
    i too suffer your same addiction and im also tring to kick the addiction im now to an cup and half where i was drinking 4 or more i have a couple sips in the am and then an cup at dinner so my nexy step is to cut out the dinner one. good luck with yours.