I LOVE SWEET POTATOES!

Options
2»

Replies

• Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love to make a FANTASTIC white wine chicken soup (I call it "Day After Soup") out of leftover rotisserie or roasted chicken. I use cubed sweet potatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic, and carrots. If you're interested in the recipe, let me know...
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes too!!! Best thing is they are amazing for something to bring to work to eat. stab the potato a few times, nuke for 5-6 minutes and add a little smart balance butter and cinnamon on it and it's delish!!!! i love all the other ideas too!!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I slice mine into about inch slices and steam in a veggie steamer. Eat as is or with a bit of sugar or sweetener mashed in as I eat.

I bake mine whole in the microwave and eat the same as steamed, either as is or with a bit of sweetner. If I have some healthy choice butter I put that on it, too, sometimes.

Before I was eating healthir I sliced and fried and sprinkled sugar on but I've not fried since starting but I'm sure there's a way.
  • Linda1053
    Linda1053 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like them baked and eaten like Ordinary Baked Potatoes.
  • MaryGebhard
    MaryGebhard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites:

Sweet Potato with Black Beans and Salsa (I found this recipe on the internet but don't have the author's name, sorry).

peel and cube sweet potatoes (about 1/2-1 inch cubes)
    toss with a little olive oil
    sprinkle with cumin seeds and some salt

put this into a roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes @ 350.

after 20 minutes remove and add chopped onion and green pepper, toss again and put back into the oven for 30 more minutes.

then add one can of drained black beans and a cup of salsa, toss and put back into oven (turned off) for a few minutes to heat through.

serve: in a bowl over brown rice or in a whole wheat tortilla. (optional: add a little sour cream and/or shredded cheese or add tofutti sour cream for a vegan).

Also:
    http://www.raincitykitchen.com/2009/05/african-sweet-potato-stew.html