Confused on calorie intake and calories burned?

Options
I was wondering if I'm doing this right? Ok my calorie intake is 1670 calories everyday without exercising but I have 5 workouts planed for the entire week which are 35-45 minutes long. On Sunday, my food intake was 1047, I burned 350 calories and saw that my net calories was only 697. On Monday, my food intake was 1622, I burned 876 calories and my net was only 746. I don't where I read but I know I read it a few times from different sources stating that if your body is consuming less then 1000 calories then your thinks it's starving and goes into starvation mode and taking your food intake and storing it as fat. I don't know if that is true? So, I was wondering if my body is starving? Also, do I need to eat more if that is the amount of calories I burn after exercising? I'm just confused on all of this. I need some input.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP intends for you to eat your exercise calories ... because if you chose a rate of loss for your profile you are given a calorie goal to reach that loss (in theory) before lifting a finger in exercise. Exercising widens that deficit further to a level that for some isn't going to be sustainable. I eat 2000 calories a day and lose weight fine most of the time, because it is surprisingly a reduction from what I previously consumed
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, if eat actually physically eat less than 1000-1200 everyday then u are putting ur body in starvation mode. Your net calories isn't what u go on for that tho, but if I were you I would eat more calories, especially on days you work out.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    If i burn more than 500 cals, i eat back about 200 of them. If you are feeling hungry, then you may be in "starvation mode". Do you feel hungry most of the time? if not, then you may be just fine. watch your weight, make sure your losing only 1 lb a week give or take a bit. if your dropping loads, then that too fast and you will hit a plataue, a really big one! lol I know when i have not netted enough. I feel EXTEMELY hungry. its uncontrolable for me. so im careful to listen to my body. you will get the hang of it. checkout other's diaries to see what up.
  • MJHdG
    MJHdG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes definetly try to eat your excercise calories.
    I would loose a bunch of weight for a few days or even a couple of weeks and then crash, binge, or plateou.
    I was working out and making all the right food choices, but I could not make this weoght lose thing work for the long run, that is when a nutritionist told me about over training and not eating enough. That is whay I joined MFP to track it better.
    Wowo, what a difference, now I am more stable, have more energy and the pounds are coming off more easily.

Good Luck!
  • ToNiBeE99
    ToNiBeE99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Yes! I have been stuck between 213-218 for the past few months and I think this is why. I do feel tired and sometimes I do feel hungry all time. I didn't understand this when I first started MFP and now I barely understand and now I know what I'm doing wrong. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! :)