cilantro

Options
2»

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cilantro!! It's great in salsa, black beans, on fish tacos, in dips...Check out skinnytaste.com for some really good recipes using cilantro. One of my favorites there is the cilantro lime shrimp.
  • hiddensunshine
    Options
    Cilantro is my FAVORITE thing to use in cooking. It can really change a dish!

-Season a chicken breast with cumin and paprika- chop up cilantro (and onion) and toss it in with the chicken then cover with foil and bake in the oven.

-Toss chicken breast into a deep pan on the stove (I prefer to cut mine into bite sized pieces). When chicken is starting to brown on one side, flip and add balsamic vinegar (enough to almost cover the chicken), chopped cilantro, and a package of cherry tomatoes. Simmer until tomatoes begin to cook down, stirring occasionally. Toss everything over whole wheat pasta, and stir in/garnish with feta cheese.

-I LOVE caprese salad, and it's my go-to comfort food. At home, I chop up tomatoes, mozz cheese, red onion, and cilantro and mix it together in a bowl. Season with fresh ground black pepper (and sometimes a pinch of salt) and enjoy!

-When roasting chickens are on sale, I'll boil one down and pick all the meat off of it. Then, I go soup crazy! Try adding cilantro to chicken noodle soup! Yum! I also add red peppers, jalapenos, green peppers, extra carrots, celery, tomatoes, (what ever veggies are in the fridge!) a small can of tomato paste, and more cilantro to my boring chicken noodle soup and top it with a dalop of sour cream for an awesome chicken tortilla soup!

I could go on, and on, and on.... I add cilantro to everything! Enjoy!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Corn salsa!

1 can of corn, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can black beans. Lime juice, lemon juice (to taste), black pepper, and chopped cilantro. Easy Peasy and YUMMY. Serve w/ Tostitos Scoops...or just a big ol' spoon. :glasses:

(You could use fresh instead of canned stuff, I'm sure - but it's more labor intensive and I am SO not about that.)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You can definitely freeze it! I did that last time b/c cilantro bunches are so huge and I barely use 2 tbsp per recipe and only cook that type of food a couple times a month.

I scraped off the leaves and major stems and put it into zip lock baggies. It was still flavourful and delicious for months.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love cilantro! Agreed, you can put it on everything to just add some extra flavor. I had an abundance of cilantro left one time and made cilantro pesto. Blend cilantro, almonds, olive oil, splashe of lemon juice, garlic and parmesan cheese. Freeze it in ice cube trays and take out a cube when you need it. You can put it on chicken, fish or pasta.
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Throw some chicken breasts, your cilantro, a jalapeno or pablano pepper, some onion and some cumin in a crock-pot on low and let it go for like 6-8 hours. shread the chicken and it is awesome in tacos.
  • mariahp23
    Options
    Great tips everyone! Thanks :)
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I love to toss chopped fresh cilantro into my scrambled egg whites in the morning. It's a great flavor boost and makes for a nice change from plain egg whites.
  • sanrog
    sanrog Posts: 68
    Options
    I like to make Mango Salsa - 1 Diced mango, 1 Can Black Beans, Chopped Red onion, Lime Juice, Cilantro.

You can eat it as a side dish or if you leave out the black beans it is greaaaaat on grilled chicken.