What do you do about your kids' halloween candy?

Options
I have never watched my eating so closely and I'm worried with Halloween around the corner. I have four kids who will be trick-or-treating and am looking for advice as to what to do about all the candy.

In the past, my husband has left a lot of it at work so the kids don't O.D. on it.

I guess I'm struggling to find a good balance between letting the kids be kids and setting a good example.

It it's in the house, I WILL eat it. :)

Replies

• mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My kids are still kind of little (3&4), I plan on letting them pick out a sandwich size baggie full of candy and giving the rest away. That way I (or they!) don't overindulge!
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Let them pick out a few favorite peices and take the rest to work for the people there or throw it away. Dentist offices sometimes have kids bring in halloween candy for prizes. Its pretty cool. Maybe a few in your area do that.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We put the candy up very high and let them have a piece or two a day. We get rid of (take to work or toss) the candy that no one really likes.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am thankful that the candy doesn't tempt me anymore but I don't want the kids to O.D. on candy and also teach them balance. This is what we have been doing in the past. We sort out the candy. Get rid of all "junk" candy and then we send off a bunch to work with my husband. We have a freezer in our garage and I will put the remaining candy in there and allow the kids to have small amounts here and there. It lasts for months!
  • suzwirthlin
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. My kids are (10,8,6 & 3) so it is getting harder and harder with the older kids.

Poor children are cursed w/ a love of food and anything sweet just like their parents.
  • suzwirthlin
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. My kids are (10,8,6 & 3) so it is getting harder and harder with the older kids.

Poor children are cursed w/ a love of food and anything sweet just like their parents.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Freeze it! It slows everybody down! And I dump a fair share of it too!

I always freeze the Easter candy too after a few days. It makes great chocolate dipped strawberries!

But that doesn't really help does it? Haha
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tell myself it is full of worms and try to keep that mental picture in my head!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I was at university last Halloween. I brought a huge bag of candy for 2 days and my starving college friends gorged on it and thanked me because they're too old to trick-or-treat, and too poor to buy treats. In other words, find the nearest college student you know and give it all over to him/her.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Check around in your area ... some businesses collect it and send it to our military serving over seas. I bet your radio station could lead you in the right direction.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Its verry un~healthy for kids to have that much candy...so I help them...the more candy I eat, the less un~healthy they are :)...I'm such a good mommie :)
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    we put it all in a big bowl up in the cupboard and allow a piece a day, for everyone (adults included!). within a week, the good stuff's gone and we don't really think about it. we don't do much for easter or christmas candy, so that's easy! we still have halloween candy from last year in our bowl!!!
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We put all the candy together, let the kids have a certain amount of it and they can have one or two pieces a day. We usually end up throwing quite a bit of it away because they never eat what they do get to keep. My husband and I usually will take most of what's left but since this year is a new me, I plan to take a few pieces put them in the fridge and allow myself a piece on days when I want it but only pre planning it in my diary first. I have done this at other holidays this year (valentines, Easter, ect) and it works out well for me. That way we can all enjoy it but mine is proportioned so I don't go overboard:)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    We keep some for the kids to each have a piece a day, usually only lasts a week before they get bored and stop asking anyway. Of course hubby and I will have some. My daughters school has started collecting candy for the military and the grade that donates the most in pounds wins a treat.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It it's in the house, I WILL eat it. :)

Do you steal from people you don't know? Then don't steal from your kids! It's their candy, not yours! You can regulate how much they eat at a time, but just remember that it isn't yours, so you don't get to eat it!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Let them pick out a few favorite peices and take the rest to work for the people there or throw it away. Dentist offices sometimes have kids bring in halloween candy for prizes. Its pretty cool. Maybe a few in your area do that.

My dental office pays the kids $5 for 5 lbs of candy, then they ship it to our troops (who love and miss the holiday). I had them put the money into their piggy banks, it really is a win win!

On a side note... I let the kids go crazy for Halloween night and eat as much as they want. After that the get one candy per night for 5 days and the rest goes away!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Food is supposed to be part of the celebration of holidays. Not letting them indulge occasionally risks complexes around food, IMO, and holidays are exactly the time to indulge.

We actually control Halloween night itself pretty closely because I want them to be able to sleep after everything is over. Now that they're old enough, though, they generally have free access to it after that - subject to our normal snacking rules (no snacks before a meal, or immediately before bed, etc).

As for the adults, those little Halloween sizes are PERFECTLY sized for dieters. You just have to be able to control yourself and eat only one or two.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I allow my son to pick out 10 of his favorite pieces and then we ship the rest to troops in Afganistan. I'll collect from kids on his soccer team too and ship theirs as well.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Though, when my son was younger (before we started shipping to the Troops), we let him have one piece a day and then tossed it all after 10 days-2 weeks telling him that it all went stale.
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Between the 2 boys we combine their candy in one big bowl and hubby takes about half of it to work and with the remainder let the boys each have one piece a day.