Desperately seeking Shin Splint Help!!

Options
Okay soooo...I'm in Week 9 of C5K I have been plagued by shin splints anytime and every time I've run. I have done a TON of research and to the best of my ability I have tried everything I've read and still am, including:

-icing my shins
-anit-inflammatory
-stretching
-strengthening my calves and shin muscles
-wear compression socks all the time
-resting

I recently found an article on runners world describing how to tape your shins. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with taping or if anyone has any other ideas regarding this issue.

I have a 5K on Oct 30th (my first) a 5 mile run on Nov 6 and a 5K on Nov 24th. After that I plan to seriously work on strength training to help even more and cut down the running to heal.

Any advice from you experienced runners would be so appreciated.

Thank you

Dawn

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    BUmp :)
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I would love to know as well!
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can have someone show you how to use a foam roller to work out the issues that way too. I get these from time to time and that's the only thing that helps. I will warn you, it hurts. A lot. Like "dear gods, I'll live with the shin splints, don't make me do this" type pain. But it does help.
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the correct shoes?

If you haven't gotten looked at, go to a local running store and let them watch you run. It could be as simple as wearing the wrong type of shoes (neutral-cushioning, motion control, etc...)
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints everytime I start to exercise because when I start, I go with gusto!
    Last night while visiting my chiropractor, I jokingly asked if he could do anything about them. He stretched out my legs, made sure everything was aligned and did some electronic acupuncture.
    Today, I'm about 75% better.
    You might see about visiting a chiropractor. They really are amazing! :)

11706347.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If only someone would post a link to a thread about shin splints... and if it were conveniently pasted in his signature. :wink:

But seriously, the answer lies within.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper running shoes? If not, go to a running store and do so. They'll analyze your gait, fit you properly, and have you try on several shoes to make sure you get the right shoes for your feet, size, and weight.

Also, you can take a rolling pin and roll your calves. That might help also.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    AZT said it all in his thread. I will add that the only way I was able to get through unbearable shin splints was the ABCs (I traced them in the air everytime I sat down - people thought I was nutzo - well, they sorta still do). And, I ended up having to take some time off from running.

Seriously, do the ABC thing. It helps!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the correct shoes?

If you haven't gotten looked at, go to a local running store and let them watch you run. It could be as simple as wearing the wrong type of shoes (neutral-cushioning, motion control, etc...)

I did got to a running store for them to analyze my gait...and they said it was good..so I got the compressions socks. I did get new shoes as well New Balance 740's
  • SkinnyjeanKathleen
    SkinnyjeanKathleen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know how painful these can be. When I started C25K, I didn't follow the advice on not running consecutive days, because for the first few days I felt great, why not run right?!.. WRONG! I had the worst shin splints ever and iced them every night and also applied heat at times. I kept trying to exercise lightly, but it was only after I completely rested them, and I mean completely, for about a week that the pain started to go away. I think overall it took about five weeks for the pain to completely go away.
    So, my suggestion to you: Rest those legs! Good luck!
  • conchita962
    Options
    If only someone would post a link to a thread about shin splints... and if it were conveniently pasted in his signature. :wink:

I did happen to read this not too long ago...Thank you! Any views on taping??
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

I've never used tape, so can't comment on it. Everything I mentioned above was from experience over the last 20 years of on-and-off shin splints. Sorry.
  • conchita962
    Options
    You can have someone show you how to use a foam roller to work out the issues that way too. I get these from time to time and that's the only thing that helps. I will warn you, it hurts. A lot. Like "dear gods, I'll live with the shin splints, don't make me do this" type pain. But it does help.

Foam rolling in next!!! Thank you
  • conchita962
    Options

Thank you very much for your help! I fell in love with running and I just wanna do it with a little less pain...

I've never used tape, so can't comment on it. Everything I mentioned above was from experience over the last 20 years of on-and-off shin splints. Sorry.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Are you running on sidewalks? Concrete is 10x harder than asphalt. I run on the side of the road whenever it's safe to do so.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before and I hope it helps you... As a Running Coach, I see new runners experience this frequently.

Lets start by looking at the reasons why you get shin splints. Shin splints are usually tied to one of four things. These include Form/Biomechanical flaws, Overusage, poor running surfaces and poor footwear.

Form/Biomechanical flaws include heavy heal striking, and heavy pronation (where the foot rolls in excessively during a runners stride). Ideally try to keep your form in a falling forward motion with your knees bent landing on your forefoot or midsole and not the heels. (think shock absorber)

Overusage includes doing too much, too quickly and not allowing reasonable build up or recovery between exercise sessions. Never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. Face it your body needs to adapt to running. Nobody wakes up and decides to run a marathon that day. Pace yourself and build gradually.

Running on uneven or hard surfaces. Hard surfaces are hard on your legs. Plain and simple. Try running on packed gravel, or asphalt instead of concrete. Concrete has zero give and results in all of the impact transferring into your lower legs. Additionally, Most roads are crowned which forces water to run to the gutters. This angled surface applies undue stress on your shins as your feet contact the road at an angle. If you must run on the road, run in the center where there is no crowning or alternate between the sides of the road periodically to apply some balance to the muscles.

Lastly poor or inappropriate footwear. I usually tell beginning runners to go to a running store and have them fit you. They will watch you walk and run, check your gate, look at wear patterns on your existing shoes and then fit you in an appropriate pair of shoes based on these. Given how much we rely on our feet, do you want some 17 year old high school student at the local Wally World telling you what to wear? No... go to a respectable Running shop/ Athletes shop. Also make sure that you get appropriate footwear for the activity. You wouldn't go tap dancing in golf cleats, yet its amazing how many people wear the wrong type of shoe for the activity. Soccer shoes are for soccer, tennis shoes are for tennis, and running shoes are for running.

How new are your shoes or are they worn out (for running shoes anything over 300 miles is suspect, not sure how cross trainers etc rate... )

For Treatment ->Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation, take advil for the pain, and cut back on the activity that caused it.

You might also try massaging a frozen dixie cup of water over the affected area, three to four times a day for 15 minutes. Deeper tissue massage helps. Try digging your thumbs in there and massage out the knots. It will hurt to start but will help the healing as you force blood flow into the affected area.

Deep tissue massage will also help... dig your thumbs deep into the soar spot and try to massage them out. This will help break up any knots and allow proper blood flow back into the injury site.

One thing that also worked for me was getting ART therapy. Active Release Therapy is pretty much a hybrid therapy that can include accupuncture, chiropractic, massage and muscle manipulation to free up the injury site. I had lasting relief from chronic shin splints after only 4-5 visits.

Also stretching after your workout will help immensely. This is often overlooked. I stretch my shins in two ways. Place your feet at a 45 degree ankle against the wall. Stretch your calf\shin with the knee bent for 40 seconds and then repeat with straight legs for 40 seconds. Repeat this after your work out 2 or 3 times with a 5 minute break in between..

If this doesn't give you relief, seek the help of a Sports Physiotherapist or Doctor.

Good Luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    I've posted this before and I hope it helps you... As a Running Coach, I see new runners experience this frequently.

Lets start by looking at the reasons why you get shin splints. Shin splints are usually tied to one of four things. These include Form/Biomechanical flaws, Overusage, poor running surfaces and poor footwear.

Form/Biomechanical flaws include heavy heal striking, and heavy pronation (where the foot rolls in excessively during a runners stride). Ideally try to keep your form in a falling forward motion with your knees bent landing on your forefoot or midsole and not the heels. (think shock absorber)

Overusage includes doing too much, too quickly and not allowing reasonable build up or recovery between exercise sessions. Never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. Face it your body needs to adapt to running. Nobody wakes up and decides to run a marathon that day. Pace yourself and build gradually.

Running on uneven or hard surfaces. Hard surfaces are hard on your legs. Plain and simple. Try running on packed gravel, or asphalt instead of concrete. Concrete has zero give and results in all of the impact transferring into your lower legs. Additionally, Most roads are crowned which forces water to run to the gutters. This angled surface applies undue stress on your shins as your feet contact the road at an angle. If you must run on the road, run in the center where there is no crowning or alternate between the sides of the road periodically to apply some balance to the muscles.

Lastly poor or inappropriate footwear. I usually tell beginning runners to go to a running store and have them fit you. They will watch you walk and run, check your gate, look at wear patterns on your existing shoes and then fit you in an appropriate pair of shoes based on these. Given how much we rely on our feet, do you want some 17 year old high school student at the local Wally World telling you what to wear? No... go to a respectable Running shop/ Athletes shop. Also make sure that you get appropriate footwear for the activity. You wouldn't go tap dancing in golf cleats, yet its amazing how many people wear the wrong type of shoe for the activity. Soccer shoes are for soccer, tennis shoes are for tennis, and running shoes are for running.

How new are your shoes or are they worn out (for running shoes anything over 300 miles is suspect, not sure how cross trainers etc rate... )

For Treatment ->Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation, take advil for the pain, and cut back on the activity that caused it.

You might also try massaging a frozen dixie cup of water over the affected area, three to four times a day for 15 minutes. Deeper tissue massage helps. Try digging your thumbs in there and massage out the knots. It will hurt to start but will help the healing as you force blood flow into the affected area.

Deep tissue massage will also help... dig your thumbs deep into the soar spot and try to massage them out. This will help break up any knots and allow proper blood flow back into the injury site.

One thing that also worked for me was getting ART therapy. Active Release Therapy is pretty much a hybrid therapy that can include accupuncture, chiropractic, massage and muscle manipulation to free up the injury site. I had lasting relief from chronic shin splints after only 4-5 visits.

Also stretching after your workout will help immensely. This is often overlooked. I stretch my shins in two ways. Place your feet at a 45 degree ankle against the wall. Stretch your calf\shin with the knee bent for 40 seconds and then repeat with straight legs for 40 seconds. Repeat this after your work out 2 or 3 times with a 5 minute break in between..

If this doesn't give you relief, seek the help of a Sports Physiotherapist or Doctor.

Good Luck!

GREAT STUFF RIGHT THERE!!!
  • acelliott28
    Options
    Yes taping works wonders just be sure to point your toes up to your head before taping otherwise it wont work.. Use to get them all the time when I was younger. I ran track for high school team and had to get my shins taped all the time..
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    ...... sure to point your toes up to your head before taping otherwise it wont work..

For some reason I kept reading "tape your toes up to your head". LOL I was trying to figure out how that would help... having your toes taped to your head. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • conchita962
    Options

Good Luck!

Thank you...great advice that I am definitely applying!!! I'm determined to get thru this :)