Balancing healthy food & unhealthy food

Options
What motivates you guys to eat more healthy foods instead of just smaller portions of unhealthy foods all the time? I find myself choosing kid's meals at fast food restaurants for my meals a lot of times instead of making a sandwich or salad at home. The kid's meal of course sounds more appetizing to me, & can have around the same amount of cals as something healthier I can make at home, etc. I know from experience that healthy eating isn't completely what makes you lose weight, & as long as you stay within cals (unhealthy foods or not), you lose weight. But I know eating healthy is better in the long run (for obvious reasons), & I want to enjoy healthy foods & WANT to choose them over unhealthy foods more times than not. I'm just trying to find the discipline to choose a banana over a 100 cal pack, or salad over a kid's meal (not all the time, but most of the time). Where do you find your discipline with doing this? Where do you find your balance?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    What motivates you guys to eat more healthy foods instead of just smaller portions of unhealthy foods all the time? I find myself choosing kid's meals at fast food restaurants for my meals a lot of times instead of making a sandwich or salad at home. The kid's meal of course sounds more appetizing to me, & can have around the same amount of cals as something healthier I can make at home, etc. I know from experience that healthy eating isn't completely what makes you lose weight, & as long as you stay within cals (unhealthy foods or not), you lose weight. But I know eating healthy is better in the long run (for obvious reasons), & I want to enjoy healthy foods & WANT to choose them over unhealthy foods more times than not. I'm just trying to find the discipline to choose a banana over a 100 cal pack, or salad over a kid's meal (not all the time, but most of the time). Where do you find your discipline with doing this? Where do you find your balance?

My children are one of my motivating factors. They watch and take in everything they see. I want to set an example for healthy nutrition for the rest of their lives instead of them having to deal with health and weight issues later on.

Another motivating factor is the way I feel. My stomach used to hurt (or was tender) all the time when eating fast and junk food. Now that I'm eating cleaner than I've ever eaten in my life, my stomach no longer hurts. I feel great actually! Never thought it would make this big of a difference, but it really does. Now I don't crave junk food. I crave fruits and veggies... and dark chocolate. :) Occasionally, I will want a hamburger or one of the more carb-loaded, fatty menu items at a local diner... but it's not very often.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

i always buy tons of fresh fruits and veggies and incorporate them into my meals as much as i do for snacks. like chopped apple in my oatmeal, sliced banana in my yogurt, chopped peppers in my omelte, grilled asparagus for dinner. i do also have 100 calorie packs and granola bars, pretty much on a daily basis. but i only have one or two.

a salad as a meal alone can be very unsatifying. try some grilled chicken mixed in with your greens.

i don't know what your daily life is like, but can you prepare things the night before to take with you to work? i load up my lunch bag with my sandwich and snacks for the day, which usually include an apple, a banana, a granola bar, a 100 calorie pack, and a bag of trail mix.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We have changed our eating as a family, so healthier choices have become so much easier. I prepare all of our meals at home, and it has saved us some money (not eating out), and you will find that your tastes will change and you will actually prefer the healthier choices over the less healthy choices. It took about a month or so before it became habit to choose healthy foods. Good luck!
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I still struggle to make the healthy choices consistently but let me share some thoughts. I am in college right now and I have found that the days I choose to eat healthy instead of just portioning unhealthy foods, I find I concentrate better. I seem to think more clearly and do better the days I eat healthier foods and exercise. It's good motivation for me,
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Heh. My cooking is MUCH more palatable to me than what I can get in a restaurant! :-) Actually, though, it's not entirely true that you'll lose, regardless. Your body may just adjust its function, and you won't be reducing certain things that adversely affect your health (like the SODIUM). If you do not give your body sufficient nutrients, it will fight you on weight loss. I try to eat a well-balanced diet AND take my multivitamin, because I don't LOSE unless my body knows that I am going to give it what it needs. Also, the excess sodium in processed foods can make you bloat, and the unbalanced intake lowers your energy. When I eat my own cooking and have good nutrition, I feel ten times better. That means that my workouts go better, which means that I burn more calories, which means that I lose weight, better.

Frankly, I've been eating fairly healthily for longer than I've been trying to lose, so the "kid's meals" simply don't APPEAL. I came home, this evening, and I wanted nothing as much as I wanted to have my sauteed kale, for instance. You get your body used to being well-fed, and after a while, you CRAVE the things that make you feel better. You just have to get started. For me, eating healthily requires a regular Sunday cooking marathon. Then, I have a refrigerator full of mix-and-match healthy options without having to find the time to cook when I get home from work. It seems to work from me.

Bottom line -- get your body used to what is good for it, and that will become what you WANT. Find INTERESTING ways to do this by cooking from scratch as much as possible. After you've started varying your seasonings and flavor combinations, what you have at home will be FAR superior to what you can get at a restaurant.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good question! I have a tendency to struggle with this too. For example, I'd much rather spend 110 calories on cereal rather than a banana. It is so much more satisfying! Yet the banana would be "healthier"...

I have found something that seems to work for me to keep a better balance. I eat a lot of the same foods every day and these foods are relatively "healthy". As long as I have my "yogurt with kashi cereal" breakfast and "turkey and avacado sandwich" lunch and "apple, carrots, almonds" snack, then I know I have put some relatively nutritious foods in my body each day. Also, I LOVE these foods and I look forward to eating them every day. It really helps that I can look forward to eating these foods every day. It takes a lot of the guesswork and anxiety out of calorie counting. Then with my remaining calories I usually make a sensible dinner ( I gravitate towards healthier dinner meals I think) and then I don't feel so guilty if I decide to snack on chocolate chips and cereal. You can totally load up on veggies at dinner time for very few calories.

I think I rambled... to be brief my answer is: find some healthy foods that you love and would get excited about eating every day. Then eat them every day! Take the guesswork out of it. Make it routine.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead our weeks meals & shop from a list. The only food I buy after that is fresh fruit & veges if I need them.
    I plan my day in my food diary the night before & some weeks I plan out dinner for every night in it a week ahead. I'm still very reliant on my food diary but I'm still learning how to eat healthily & I'm losing weight in the process.

My 12 year old daughter is a huge motivator for me, she's still at an age where she copies a lot of what I do & she's starting to eat a lot healthier now too. I no longer by junk food snacks & if I'm cooking a meal she doesn't like I adapt it for her & she's more willing to try new things now because I am. Yesterday I had her eating hummus & rice crackers, it was such a buzz seeing her enjoy them!!
  • SHALONDAG
    SHALONDAG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Work on finding tasty ways to slowly add better versions of some of the things you love to eat and you will get used to the healthier version. For instance, I greatly prefer a grilled turkey burger w/ spinach, cucumber, tomato and light miracle whip over any Mcdonalds fried burger. Just try some substitutes, and it doesn't have to be all boring salads and sandwiches! Experiment to find things that are better for you, but still taste great! And try to prepare some things ahead of time and store them so you're not as tempted to grab the fast food if you have healthier choses readily available. Hope this helps!
  • SHALONDAG
    SHALONDAG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Work on finding tasty was to slowly add better versions of some of the things you love to eat and you will get used to the healthier version. For instance, I greatly prefer a grilled turkey burger w/ spinach, cucumber, tomato and light miracle whip over any Mcdonalds fried burger. Just try some substitutes, and it doesn't have to be all boring salads and sandwiches! Experiment to find things that are better for you, but still taste great! And try to prepare some things ahead of time and store them so you're not as tempted to grab the fast food if you have healthier choses readily available. Hope this helps!
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    I literally just feel better when I eat healthier choices.

the past two days I've finally gotten some better groceries and I instantly felt thinner. I didn't even lose weight I just LOOKED in the mirror and felt better about myself. i felt this way after my dinner then went and had a frappcuino with my free Starbucks coupon and instantly thought poorly about my self image. maybe that's just me though!

I also am motivated because I go to the bathroom better. which makes me not feel so sluggish! ha!

its been a long process though. I still sometimes just sit beside a cookie for an hour thinking all of these thoughts and then just end up eating it anyway. its so DUMB when i do that.

and money is a big motivator for me too. right now I don't have a job (full time student and leaving this town in 2 months so its pointless to find one) so all of my groceries are on my dad's expense with a credit card. I go to the store after eating so I'm not hungry and then when I'm hungry and think about going to a drive through I think "that's such a waste of money because i have all this healthy food at home and I could use this money on something else"

Have produce in the house that will go bad if you don't eat it can be motivating too!

and finding low calorie healthy HOT meals...i know that sounds dumb, but I have gotten so burnt out on salads and sandwiches. sometimes you just need a hot meal. Lately I've been broiling tilapia or cooking chicken in a pan! both take about 10 minutes. and i usually have a steamfresh bag in the microwave while they cook!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

The key is to try to open yourself up to some new ideas and be honest about what you like to eat. I never used to cook with as many veggies as I do now because I always thought of them as bland and mushy. My mom always overcooked and underseasoned them. I keep a stock of tomatoes, onions, and peppers and make my own salsa, toppings for fish and chicken, and use them in the crock pot for slow cooked meals. We also keep a stockpile of oranges, golden delicious apples, banannas, pineapples, avocados, mangos, and other seasonal fruits in the house. That being said, I still hate carrots, most varieties of red apples, white grapes, and beets. I eat the veggies and fruit I like and incorporate them into my diet as often as possible.

Another thing we do in my house is eat dinner together every night. It's my husband and I's special time to sit and enjoy some quiet time together. We often cook together as well, although mostly he just chops things and cleans up. Instead of dreading cooking, I now enjoy it a lot more.

I would recommend taking a cooking class or picking up a light cookbook and start experimenting with new flavors. Try to rediscover what you like. Make time to prepare your meals and find some joy in doing it. Cooking can be so much fun.

My motivation is to continue feeling great. Eating well has improved my mood, my ability to sleep through the night, and has given me more focus than I ever had before. Working out has been amazing for keeping my stress level in check also.

In the end, it's all up to choice though. You make decisions every day what you eat and how much of it you eat.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That answer for me is simple: food is meant to *nourish* your body.

ETA: The healthier you eat - the more you'll crave what is healthy.
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think about how disrespectful it is to my body when I put junk in my mouth. It is easier to grab processed foods, but it has no nutritional value. My body needs foods that are dense in vitamins and minerals to be able to function and ward off disease. I have learned so much about nutrition.

For years, I had constipation. It was to a point where I would only go to the bathroom once a week. That is unhealthy. I was getting very sick. I almost died from a small intestine infection. Doctors wouldn't do anything. I tried adding more fiber, laxatives, nothing worked. I realized last month that the problem was the food I was eating. Even though I wasn't eating fast food or soda, I was still eating cereal, bread, and other overly processed foods. I took all those out and lost 14lbs in a month. I realized I was lactose intolerant. When I started eating fruits, vegetables, yogurt, and some meat, I finally was able to go to the bathroom everyday. This is a huge deal for me.

This is what motivates me to eat healthy. I know that my health is in jeopardy when I choose unhealthy food over healthy foods. I listen to my body.
  • mearadw
    mearadw Posts: 11
    Options
    i don't always do it, i try to follow the rule that 1/2 to 3/4 of each meal should be veggies, fruits, or whole grained/plant-based, and that automatically leads to healthier choices. i was a full-fledged vegetarian for years (bacon--d*mn you, bacon!) was my downfall. but i felt really good when i was a vegetarian. the motivation then was that it just felt like the machinery of my body ran better/cleaner that way. luckily, i've always loved fruits and vegetables.

my own experience seems to suggest that a lot of good eating habits are just that--habitual. bad eating habits are that way, too. but you can re-shape your behavior. i used to work in a building that had a Starbucks in the lobby, and every morning i would stop in and get a maple oat nut scone (heaven!) with my coffee. i also went through a giant bagel with gobs of cream cheese phase. :) it was hard to make myself rein in those habits, but after a week or so, the habit was broken and then i could see those things as treats, not daily staples.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Satiety. I just get too hungry eating little portions of the bad stuff. I need to eat a metric buttload of veges, fruit, and other low cal stuff (low fat yogurt/cottage cheese, popcorn) to feel full up.
  • mearadw
    mearadw Posts: 11
    Options
    Satiety. I just get too hungry eating little portions of the bad stuff. I need to eat a metric buttload of veges, fruit, and other low cal stuff (low fat yogurt/cottage cheese, popcorn) to feel full up.

i'm totally going to use the phrase "metric buttload" in conversation tomorrow :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options

i'm totally going to use the phrase "metric buttload" in conversation tomorrow :)

There's a ruder version of that one that I can't use here!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I make sure I do a pretty good job for 2 out of 3 meals in the day. I shoot for balance there. Then dinner is what it is. I do not enjoy preparing dinner. I have four busy kids and sometimes we leave the house at 4 and don't return until 7:15 and thus getting something to eat instead of preparing is just easier. Last year due to budgetary reasons but we do it every now and then now, we challenged outselves to one month of no restaurants. I ate so freaking healthy then..however I was eating such great foods etc that I was having a hard time eating enough...LOL...Try a one month challenge to make you change your ways a bit then it was easy to pass up fast food because you don't crave it and you realize it just isn't that good afterall. We still eat out A LOT now but I make pretty healthy choices MOST of the time, not just low calorie choices...I try to shoot for variety and veggies in my food etc...Qdoba and Chipotle are the kinds of meals I might make for myself...rice beans, salsa, avacado, grilled veggie...Jason's Deli has great soup and a spinach wrap with steam veggies and our little Greek dinner/hot dog stand kind of place makes me whatever I want as long as ingredients are on hand so I get a pita with the veggies they grill up for a shishkbob. My biggest issue is fries...shoot if I could get rid of fries I would be golden.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Me too!!! LMBO!
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!