Weight Charts Are You Going By Them

Options
Hey everyone! My question is pretty clear cut. I was looking at the bmi chart and for me it says i should be between 125-167 And with the height weight chart with a medium frame the highest is 156. My goal is 180 so should i go lower

Are your goals based on the weight charts or is your number just based on where you would like to be?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    if that's a BMI chart you're referring to I don't go by them, I stopped trusting them when I realized some VERY fit people were classed as obese because of nothing more than their weight to height ratio.
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Personally and to a very large extent, yeah, I do use the BMI index as a guide. I will be officially not-overweight at 136 or so and I think that's pretty fair considering my proportions.

Oh and if I were you, I'd get to 180 and see how you feel about it then.
  • christybrooker
    Options
    According to mine I would still be healthy at 97 pounds because I'm 5"1'. There's no way. I would look sickly if I was under 100 pounds. I think it's nice to see what's average but I don't think they should be a measure for everyone.
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Im 5'0. I weighed pre-pregnancy 95-98lbs. I dont think that I looked sickly, but I do think that it would depend on the shape of your body. I was a curvy 98lb. girl
  • autiemommy
    Options
    Im 5 10 and 1/2 so i guess im a giant lol joking. Just wanted some ideas everyone else throws in their 2 cents when i tell them how much more to go there like no ewww your already skinny enough lol. Thats why i ask all of you lovely mfp people you give it honestly like it or not. thanks so much for the answers i think im going to set my goal for 170 and see where we go after that. Thanks again.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I'm using a mirror!
  • khern10
    khern10 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm 5' 8 and I think I generally look pretty good at about 175 lbs. I used to weigh over three hundred lbs so I think this is fair. According to the "charts" I am not supposed to be over 160. But I know that I am healthy at 175 so that is where I set my goal and my doctor even agreed and wrote me a note for weight watchers!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No, they don't account for bone structure at all. At 5'4" i was at 170 before and wearing a size 8-10....my friends think I am going too far to want to be around 160 this time. My bones will show at that weight.
  • christybrooker
    Options
    Im 5'0. I weighed pre-pregnancy 95-98lbs. I dont think that I looked sickly, but I do think that it would depend on the shape of your body. I was a curvy 98lb. girl

I guess I should have added that I did weigh close to that after a seven week hospital stay and on my frame it looked sickly. I know some ladies can pull it off beautifully at around our height.
  • chatswithpets
    chatswithpets Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not going by any weight chart. And definately not BMI!!! On the BMI chart at my 'ideal' BMI I would be skeletal. I haven't weighed that little since I was 15...many...many...years ago. My daughters BMI tells her she is overweight bordering on obese. If you were to see her...this would clearly not be the case.

As it is, I have settled on a weight I think I might be comfortable at. If I hit that weight and still think I could do with shedding a little extra...well...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    if that's a BMI chart you're referring to I don't go by them, I stopped trusting them when I realized some VERY fit people were classed as obese because of nothing more than their weight to height ratio.
    Yep. My avatar pic, I was at 176lbs (I'm at 186 right now). Even then I was considered "overweight" according to BMI. The high end states I should be 146lbs. I'd look like a twig if I lost 40 more pounds.
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    I am suppose to be between like 125~140, but I know I just wouldnt be happy that thin. I am aiming for a very healthy 180. Maybe once I get when I get there I will decide to go less but I dont think so. Rightnow im taking it 20 pounds at a time!!