making bad choices ... suggestions please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that my sodium intake is so high that it is causing me to crave sweets. How is your intake?

I also eat yogurt and like chocolate milk after a workout.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the Skinny Cow suggestion. Their ingredient lists are terrible.

Why not just have a small amount of very good chocolate? Or some frozen fruit and plain yogurt.

A tablespoon of raw honey also works very well for me. Curbs the desire for something sweet, and honey is beneficial -- especially if it's local to your area :)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating can make us make bad choices. It is good that you have tied your stress to your desire for sweets. What you now need to do is not eat those sweets but find another way to deal with your stress. Maybe go for a walk or clean or read or do something to distract yourself. Find a new habit on how you deal with stress other than eating. It is difficult at first but it can be done. It take a lot of conscious effort but over time, it will get easier. There are a lot of books out there that deal with emotional eating and how to overcome it.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Fruit! It's sweet and filling...try subbing when you have a craving...I've found that I don't crave sweets nearly as much as I used to.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    LMAO.. really? I just had to pull out my skinny cow ice cream box. Ingredients are: Skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, chocolatey ribbons (coconut oil, pal oil, sugar cocoa, soy, etc), whey protein, calcium carbonate and some other small ingredients to make it ice cream. What is wrong with this ingredient list? Now I know it's only 9am.. but seeing that I have the box out.. I might as well eat one for 100 calories :)

Definitely do your research, don't just believe anyone.

Why not just have a small amount of very good chocolate? Or some frozen fruit and plain yogurt.

A tablespoon of raw honey also works very well for me. Curbs the desire for something sweet, and honey is beneficial -- especially if it's local to your area :)
  • Rilke
    Options
    LMAO.. really? I just had to pull out my skinny cow ice cream box. Ingredients are: Skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, chocolatey ribbons (coconut oil, pal oil, sugar cocoa, soy, etc), whey protein, calcium carbonate and some other small ingredients to make it ice cream. What is wrong with this ingredient list? Now I know it's only 9am.. but seeing that I have the box out.. I might as well eat one for 100 calories :)

What is the "etc"? I'm guessing it includes artificial flavor. What are the "other small ingredients"? Long chemical-y names you didn't fancy typing out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "believe anyone". I found a box of Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwiches in my own grocery store. This is the list for that product:

skim milk, wafer [bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, baking soda, modified corn starch, salt, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, cocoa], sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, whey protein, cream, calcium carbonate, Inulin (Dietary Fiber), Propylene Glycol Monostearate, microcrystalline cellulose, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, guar gum, natural flavor, monoglycerides, sorbitol, carob bean gum, Yellow 5, Blue 1, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, carrageenan, salt

Ignoring the obvious HFCS . . . and the artificial colors . . . when was the last time you kept some propylene glycol monostearate in your pantry? How about sodium carboxymethylcellouse?

These products are just chemical cocktails.

Here are some pages confirming this:

http://betterlivingwithwholefoods.com/food-reviews/sex-lies-and-fat-free-ice-cream/

http://thehealthyapron.com/2011/05/31/is-it-healthy-skinny-cow-ice-cream/

I'd rather pass on the additives and enjoy some real food. Real ice cream, even.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it! I've got some great ideas from the food lists you've put up, so I'm gonna get this under control :smile:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    No, mine does not say that in the ingredient list. I do the Chocolate or Cookie n Cream Truffle Bars. The last few ingredients are extremely minimal and were not what you typed below. Also, what food doesn't have these very types of ingredients? IMO, if you are looking to cut calories and try to have some sweetness, then this would be a better choice then eating purely junk with oils, lots of sugar or full fat natural ice cream. Come on, seriously?! I'm sure your good piece of chocolate will have some crap in it too or it wouldn't be "good".

What is the "etc"? I'm guessing it includes artificial flavor. What are the "other small ingredients"? Long chemical-y names you didn't fancy typing out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "believe anyone". I found a box of Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwiches in my own grocery store. This is the list for that product:

skim milk, wafer [bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, baking soda, modified corn starch, salt, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, cocoa], sugar, corn syrup, polydextrose, whey protein, cream, calcium carbonate, Inulin (Dietary Fiber), Propylene Glycol Monostearate, microcrystalline cellulose, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, guar gum, natural flavor, monoglycerides, sorbitol, carob bean gum, Yellow 5, Blue 1, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, carrageenan, salt

Ignoring the obvious HFCS . . . and the artificial colors . . . when was the last time you kept some propylene glycol monostearate in your pantry? How about sodium carboxymethylcellouse?

These products are just chemical cocktails.

Here are some pages confirming this:

http://betterlivingwithwholefoods.com/food-reviews/sex-lies-and-fat-free-ice-cream/

http://thehealthyapron.com/2011/05/31/is-it-healthy-skinny-cow-ice-cream/

I'd rather pass on the additives and enjoy some real food. Real ice cream, even.
  • skidzarela
    Options
    I get those sweet cravings too! The sugar free jello puddings are pretty tasty without blowing out your daily calorie count. If you want a little protein might I suggest part skim ricotta with a little Splenda and a sprinkle of cinnamon has a nice cheese-cakey sort of texture to it and is quite filling, again, without sending you over the edge. If I want sweet, I find it is better to indulge within reason than to try and avoid the craving because then I feel like I'm being deprived and can get somewhat obsessive--rebellious--and ultimately binge out. Moderation is definitely the key. I've also tried getting something like 3 musketeers or milky way minis and freezing them. It takes a while to eat one when they are frozen. You can easily work one sweet treat in per day for yourself. That way you know you'll have your little indulgence and have something to look forward to. Of course, there is the school of thought that says eliminate all sugar from your diet and eventually the cravings will go away. Not sure I could do that in a world filled with birthday cakes and chocolate commercials.
  • skidzarela
    Options
    Well, propylene glycol monosterate is used to prevent ice cream from recrystalizing if it melts a little bit. I believe it is some type of emulsifier. I imagine quite a few frozen treats use this for the same purpose, especially molded ones like bars and sandwiches. It is not a natural food type and can be toxic at high levels (6 grams/kg) but you would have to eat a whole lot of skinny cows to reach those sorts of levels. You would have blown your daily calorie allotment long before you died of kidney failure. Personally, I prefer real food to fake stuff but it's all about personal preference and I do occasionally try some of the fake stuff just to see how real it tastes. :)
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    Fiber One 90 chocolate peanut butter bars are delicious. Seriously. Yum.

No, I haven't read the full ingredient list, so insert disclaimer here.
  • Rilke
    Options
    No, mine does not say that in the ingredient list. I do the Chocolate or Cookie n Cream Truffle Bars. The last few ingredients are extremely minimal and were not what you typed below. Also, what food doesn't have these very types of ingredients? IMO, if you are looking to cut calories and try to have some sweetness, then this would be a better choice then eating purely junk with oils, lots of sugar or full fat natural ice cream. Come on, seriously?! I'm sure your good piece of chocolate will have some crap in it too or it wouldn't be "good".

I know I'm in the minority on this website . . . but I do not equate "cut calories" with "better choices". Often, they are the same. But often they are not.

I would take real (and full fat) ice cream over processed junk any day. But to each his own I suppose.