Nice examples of skinny fat vs fit and thin

Options
Many women seem to have a hard time grasping that, yes women should lift some heavy weights to get the fit toned look most desire. Just losing weight, or seeing scale number changes, is not enough.

This is referring to Crossfit, but applies to lifting heavy in general with great explanations and photos.

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

Staci is also a perfect example, of the difference between cardio only vs lifting heavy weights

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Decent examples. I think people who are trying to lose weight strictly via deficit + cardio (no weights) should see these links as they serve as good examples as to why you should lift weights while dieting. The physique differences are substantial and you'll see in the examples of "women who did it right" that they don't end up bulky and muscular, they end up fit, and ... yummy looking.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal--I love your signature! That's my weight loss mantra!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great links, I love reading those sorts of stories.

My other half calls the skinny-fat sort of people "skinny jabbers" .... they look okay in clothes, but you wouldn't actually desire their bodies as there is no definition and you know they get that way through eating next to nothing rather than a healthy workout plan!

Would much rather have a strong, toned body...even if it does mean weighing a little more.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Sidesteal--I love your signature! That's my weight loss mantra!

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links! Great info
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Great for the link. That is definitely true!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you shared this link. I hear so many say that they don't want to bulk up when I tell them I do a lot of strength training. To a number of women, it is taboo to lift weights.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I am so glad you shared this link. I hear so many say that they don't want to bulk up when I tell them I do a lot of strength training. To a number of women, it is taboo to lift weights.

^ Yep, this is a common misconception. Adding lean mass is very difficult and it's a lengthy process to begin with, and on top of that it's even more difficult for women. Good for you for hittin' the weights!
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! I don't ever want to me skinny fat and I don't think I have the body type for it.... this article is pure awesome :)
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great info, I've been trying to get in shape and everyone has been telling me that heavy weights are bad for females. Makes sense that they are good since they build muscle.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I want to be yummy :) lol
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    thanks for the info girl =D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Great info, I've been trying to get in shape and everyone has been telling me that heavy weights are bad for females. Makes sense that they are good since they build muscle.

Definitely great for women! I didn't start seeing the results I wanted until I started lifting heavy! Good luck!